Michelin Pilot Road 3's are sublime

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Jones

Reaction score
I just got a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3's installed Friday. Put over 200 miles on them yesterday going down to Daytona and hit 140 on some nice open road.

These tires are sublime. You won't regret them.

https://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=pilotroad3

got them for $397 installed with tax at Jacksonville PowerSports. They had them on in about 1 hour. Worth every penny.

Next month I get to take them up to the twisty's of NC/TN including the dragon:)

I went with the Pilot 3's rather than the Avon Storms that I had on my Councours.

I love the Pilots, they're a little bit noisier than the Avons, but the performance is exceptional especially in the rain.

I switched from the stock Metzler to the RP3.

It was amazing, unfortunately I found mileage not that great. I had to replace front tire at 6000 miles. I will probable get 7500 miles off the rear, will see.

Hey Phil, did you have to make an appointment or just rode in and they had the tires and put them on in an hour ,I live on the west side ,I'm due for tires $397.00 seems fair to me.

Good to hear. I've got a set on deck waiting to go on when the Storm IIs are done. Got them via Amazon/Chaparral for about $305 for the set.

Just over 10K on my PR3 rear so far and looks like lots of miles to go -- even here in TX where we never get to use the edges...

Nearly all tires are sublime when they are first put on the bike. Especially when the old tires that came off handled like crap, and the new ones are, well, new.

It's how that same tire feels after a few thousand miles that counts.

Is any one running the B rated MP3's ?? .. .. Is spending the extra $30 for the B rated worth it? and yes i will spend half of the tire life with my better half on board.

Well,

Got my new tires on yesterday, during this experience I've learned a couple of things. It's hard to find a single 19mm Allen wrench, so i had to buy a pack of them from Harbor Freight. Although their are a couple of tricks out there as to not using this single tool but i chose to buy one. 2nd i will need brakes soon and found out i can do this brake change while keeping the wheels on the bike. :yahoo: 3rd, i did look at my drive shaft and it was dry, so i goter lubed up. All n all it was a good day TATTER.

Had these PR3's on my VFR before i got my FJR and very much Loved them, and just riding around the neighbor hood i could feel the difference from the Met,z6 that was on there. I will not ever own the z6's again if i have any choice in the matter, Did Not like them at all!!

Is any one running the B rated MP3's ?? .. .. Is spending the extra $30 for the B rated worth it? and yes i will spend half of the tire life with my better half on board.
I am one of the few fat bastards on the board, So the added load rating is important to me. So it's worth it from my POV.YMMV. ;)

Well,

Got my new tires on yesterday, during this experience I've learned a couple of things. It's hard to find a single 19mm Allen wrench, so i had to buy a pack of them from Harbor Freight. Although their are a couple of tricks out there as to not using this single tool but i chose to buy one.
Too easy, not to.

IMG_2101.jpg

Well,

Got my new tires on yesterday, during this experience I've learned a couple of things. It's hard to find a single 19mm Allen wrench, so i had to buy a pack of them from Harbor Freight. Although their are a couple of tricks out there as to not using this single tool but i chose to buy one.
Too easy, not to.

IMG_2101.jpg

+1 - That is what you call a multi-use tool. :yahoo:

I happen to have one that looks just like it. Even the same brand (Craftsman)

I bought a MotionPro Hex Axle tool that fits, 17,19,22,24 hex nuts. So it works for my FJR, my brothers Beemer, and some friends' sport bikes. Got it at a dealer for like $12.