#1 kamal

kamal

No longer frightened by corners!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • 2004 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Had to wait until after lunch but the temp climbed (staggered) above zero and the sun came out. I could wait no longer!
As this bike is 'new to me', and there is still a lot of gravel on the roads, I took it very carefully - at first. Now I'm home and can't stop grinning.

Learnings from this ride:
1) It only has five gears! Can't believe I didn't know that - kept searching for sixth :blush:
2) I'm going to have to get mirror extenders or check this forum for replacements. I was mainly seeing my BarkBusters.
3) This is a LOT more machine than my 650 V-Strom!

I'm lovin' it.
"If our world didn't suck, we'd all fall off - Anon"

#2 dcarver

dcarver

FJR Forum Post Whore

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,637 posts
  • 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

:yahoo:
Walked away Posted ImagePosted Image Is it really crashing if you don't fall down?--
I wouldn't change a fucking thing; I've lived hard, played hard, and I ain't done yet. I've paid some severe penalties along the way, but the rewards have been so much greater; even if for just have participating in the game of life with utmost abandon. It's not who rides the furthest in a day, but rather in a lifetime. CBA member #1, IBA #31845 and very proud of both.
Posted Image

#3 Frushlorton

Frushlorton

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

Congrats on the new ride. You will love the bike and this forum. Welcome from Fredericksburg, VA
In the absense of clear direction, make a decision and execute with violence!

84 454 LTD sold, 82 GS 750 sold

#4 43Duc

43Duc

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • 2009 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

1) It only has five gears! Can't believe I didn't know that - kept searching for sixth :blush:
2) I'm going to have to get mirror extenders or check this forum for replacements. I was mainly seeing my BarkBusters.

I've had mine or a week now and after riding it to work everyday I'm absolutely in love. I too wish there was a 6th gear, but after riding an ST100 for several years I can say that the ST needs a 6th gear a lot more than the FJR. As for the mirrors, I'm content with the mirrors I have. I understand the views expressed all over the FJR world, but coming off my 3rd Ducati I can say these mirrors rock! Duc mirrors are famous for shoulder and elbow viewing. I've always removed the stock mirrors and run bar-end mirrors. After that, the FJR mirrors are light years ahead which leaves me more money to spend elsewhere!
------
Press hard; three copies.

#5 majicmaker

majicmaker

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts
  • 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

Had to wait until after lunch but the temp climbed (staggered) above zero and the sun came out. I could wait no longer!
As this bike is 'new to me', and there is still a lot of gravel on the roads, I took it very carefully - at first. Now I'm home and can't stop grinning.

I'm lovin' it.

Sorry about your temps Kamal! I just got home from the last weekend at Daytona Bikeweek. It was 80F. Enjoy the bike and Welcome to the Best Forum EVER!! :D
If you're not the lead dog. The view never changes and it always smells like crap!

#6 gixxerjasen

gixxerjasen

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts
  • 2007 ABS AE (Gen II) N. America

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

It's greatness isn't it? Look on the plus side...I have good weather and a new FJR sitting in my garage, and yet, I'm headed out of town for work. It's going to kill me.

#7 escapefjrtist

escapefjrtist

Searching for Dry Roads

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

Give it a couple more rides and you'll really be hooked... :yahoo:

--G

IBA 34365

'09 FJR

'12 Super Tenere

#8 kamal

kamal

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

It's greatness isn't it? Look on the plus side...I have good weather and a new FJR sitting in my garage, and yet, I'm headed out of town for work. It's going to kill me.

I've been retired a month now. I'd be happy to fly to Texas and 'walk' your FJR for you. :D

#9 SQUEAL

SQUEAL

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • 2007 ABS AE (Gen II) N. America

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hey congrats! If you ever get down to Creston/ Bonners Ferry give me a holler. We could meet up in Creston at the Tim Hortons. I will buy you a cup of coffee. There are some great roads between us. If you ever want a riding partner....give me a shout! The weather down here has been total crap too. It finally melted off all our snow with five solid days of rain. But we are supposed to get snow again for the next two. I am itching for a good long ride.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!

The line between badass and dumbass is not only fine, it is a grey, wavy line, and in a different place for each individual.

IBA#48658

#10 Fontanaman

Fontanaman

Robin Trower

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

Here are the farkles on my 2009 including the part number to get the mirrors fixed. The mirror part numbers for the Gen 1 maybe different.

I am happy with 5 gears as I don't have to shift down during roll ons. The Gen 1 is geared a bit different than the Gen 2 - the RPMs are higher in 5th gear.

I still have a DL 1000 Vstrom and it pretty much just sits in the garage these days. I am looking to sell it.

Enjoy your FJR they are a blast.

#11 kamal

kamal

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hey congrats! If you ever get down to Creston/ Bonners Ferry give me a holler. We could meet up in Creston at the Tim Hortons. I will buy you a cup of coffee. There are some great roads between us. If you ever want a riding partner....give me a shout! The weather down here has been total crap too. It finally melted off all our snow with five solid days of rain. But we are supposed to get snow again for the next two. I am itching for a good long ride.

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind. I was down your way last fall (on my 650 V-Strom), hope to be down there again this year.
BTW I don't see your name on the NAFO list for Castlegar, are you going?

Al

#12 kamal

kamal

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

Here are the farkles on my 2009 including the part number to get the mirrors fixed. The mirror part numbers for the Gen 1 maybe different.

I am happy with 5 gears as I don't have to shift down during roll ons. The Gen 1 is geared a bit different than the Gen 2 - the RPMs are higher in 5th gear.

I still have a DL 1000 Vstrom and it pretty much just sits in the garage these days. I am looking to sell it.

Enjoy your FJR they are a blast.

Thanks Jim. You have some great stuff there.
Just sold my '05 650 V-Strom on Friday. Sad to see it go but I want to do more long distance riding (while I still can).

Al

#13 Pepperell

Pepperell

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:39 AM

The FJR will run happily all day at pretty much anywhere in the rev band. After awhile you'll forget to shift UP from fourth!! :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image
1974 Honda CB200, 1979 Yamaha XS750 std, 2004 FJR1300
Si Non Oscillas, Noli Tintinnare
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

#14 Not a Biker

Not a Biker

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

Don't you Love the FJR Fast and fun even pulling my 300+ around

#15 Fly Bye

Fly Bye

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

The FJR will run happily all day at pretty much anywhere in the rev band. After awhile you'll forget to shift UP from fourth!! :lol:

I'm glad I'm not the only that forgot to shift up from 4th.

Hey Kamal, the more you ride your FJR the more you will become addicted to it and this Forum.

Good Luck and Ride Safe.

#16 UHOH

UHOH

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:00 AM

Also have an '04.

One of first changes here was to buy/mount Yamaha FZ1 mirrors that have a longer stem.
Direct bolt on. Somewhere here I'll find a photo showing them and post it up.

Posted Image

FZ1 mirrors were from the years that were FZ1 carbureted; don't know if the newer FZ1 w/ FI has same mirrors.

#17 HotRodZilla

HotRodZilla

I've Been Warned!!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,017 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:34 AM

Also have an '04.

One of first changes here was to buy/mount Yamaha FZ1 mirrors that have a longer stem.
Direct bolt on. Somewhere here I'll find a photo showing them and post it up.

FZ1 mirrors were from the years that were FZ1 carbureted; don't know if the newer FZ1 w/ FI has same mirrors.

They are not the same. You have to get mirrors from GenI FZ1s. 2005 or older. I think most just search parts places for 2005 FZ1 mirrors. Do not buy eBay knockoffs, or "like OEM" mirrors. Everyone else that has has ended up hating them. Buy the genuine Yamaha mirrors, spend just a few bucks more and be happy. If you search around, there are deals to be had.

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"
- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

-John 15:13

#18 Burnspot

Burnspot

Who Me?

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

Here's my "antlers":
Posted Image
These are the OEM Yamaha Part Numbers (looking at my Zanotti order email from last year):
5LV-26290-00-00
5LV-26280-00-00

They were $45.42 apiece when I got mine. They are Gen I FZ1 mirrors (2005).

#19 deang

deang

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • 2012 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

I am familiar with that smile as well. :) Give yourself a few thousand mile learning curve. Only had mine in my garage for about two weeks and I could tell after the 2nd ride I have a lot to learn what this bike can do and I'm holding it back. My comfort zone and this bikes ability are not on the same page, but when it is it will be even more fun. ;)

Welcome to the clue!!
This is one sweet ride!!

2012 Yamaha FJR1300 - Cobalt Blue, the fastest color to roll off Yamaha's FJR assembly line.
1985 Honda V45 Magna
1978 Honda CX500

#20 deang

deang

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • 2012 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

Spent a few summers of my younger years (late 70s) in Bonners Ferry with my Grandmother. If I remember right some real nice FJR roads in the area.
This is one sweet ride!!

2012 Yamaha FJR1300 - Cobalt Blue, the fastest color to roll off Yamaha's FJR assembly line.
1985 Honda V45 Magna
1978 Honda CX500