Lock for the OEM top case?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkbass98

Reaction score
This may be a newbie question, and I'm sure it's been answered countless times, but I ordered the factory top case and picked it up at my local shop. It doesn't come with a lock, which is something they don't tell you on the Yamaha site, so ... I can't install it yet. My question is ... where do I get a lock? If I don't care about keying it to the factory bags, that is. I didn't expect to have to provide my own lock. Sorry to sound so uninformed.

It's ok. Not everyone can be *all knowing and powerful* like me. :lol:

When your bike was delivered brand spanking new, it came with an extra 3rd lock for the optional topcase. The dealer would have assembled your sidebags and installed two of the locks, and if you didn't order the Yamaha topcase to have upon delivery, they should have given you the third extra lock with the FJR. Usually in the underseat compartment or in a plastic bag with the owner's manual.

If they were fucktards and didn't provide you that third lock, or you bought the bike used and the original owner didn't give it to you, then you need to purchase your own. Of course you can go to a Yamaha dealer and have them order the $$$$ lock, or better yet, go to an online discount parts vendor like www.cyclepartswarehouse.com and order one yourself for much cheaper (along with spare fasteners, oil filters, air filters, yadda, yadda, yadda....) Or BEST yet, put an ad in the WANTED section of the forum. You can probably score one fairly cheaply there. There is usually someone around who has one they don't really need.

Good new/bad news: A competent locksmith should be able to re-key whatever lock you purchase to your own keys, but it will probably cost you a fair penny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finding that part number was harder than I anticipated. It's 5P5-28406-01-00. They come in a set of three locks with keys. No way just to get one lock that I am aware of.

Here's an ebay auction: Clicky.

And better yet, from Cyclepartswarehouse: Clicky again.

Still, if all you need is one, I would head to the 'Wanted' section.........

I've got my old one. It's yours for the asking. Only problem is I don't know if I still have a key for it, I will have to look for that tonight. Let me know.

Thanks for tall the replies and advice. I will ping the previous owner and see if there's an OEM lock to be had. If not, I may very well take one of you up on your offer!

And thanks to you, SkooterG, for your amazing knowledge and power! :)

Those are simple locks and any locksmith should be able to create a key for it, or better yet, key identical to your ignition like your side cases. I just had a key from a similar type lock unit fabricated by just taking the lock in to my local locksmith. $12 and got 3 spares for it.

The extra locks you guys have won't come with a key. They use the key you use for your bike. i.e. they match the locks on your ignition, side cases, and seat lock.

Don't stay up all night looking for the key the third lock came with.

And as stated, there's nothing in these things that's going to confuse a locksmith or make them charge you extra $$$$$ because it's "special." They can make it work with your bike's key, so it thinks it belongs to you.

And thanks to you, SkooterG, for your amazing knowledge and power! :)
Wow, this guy is new, ain't he??!?!?! :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
The extra locks you guys have won't come with a key. They use the key you use for your bike. i.e. they match the locks on your ignition, side cases, and seat lock.

The problem here is that I don't have the bike anymore, but I think I may have an old key. But either way, it would work better if he can just get a locksmith to set it to his existing key.

The problem here is that I don't have the bike anymore, but I think I may have an old key. But either way, it would work better if he can just get a locksmith to set it to his existing key.
He can...For prolly less than $10.

I think that awhile back there was a "how-to" posted on keying the locks, yourself.