Cayuse Pass Clearing Has Begun

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mount Rainier

Reaction score
:clapping: Crews are working to clear the roadway. Six miles are cleared, and as of last week they were about two and a half miles west of the summit of Cayuse Pass. Estimated time to re-open is mid- April.

There's a road under there... somewhere. This is near the summit of Cayuse Pass, at the intersection of SR 410 and SR 123. WSDOT maintenance crews estimate that the pavement is about 12 feet below the snow here. Crews will use a snow blower and a bulldozer to carve a path through the snow in order to reopen the pass.

6977278609_e8dc5a2390_z.jpg

A WSDOT snow blower shoots snow off SR 410. Depending on how deep the snow is, sometimes even a snow blower can't get through. That's when a bulldozer is brought in. It climbs on top of the snow and begins breaking it up and pushing toward the snow blower so it can blow it off the road.

6830738332_c425e55be0_z.jpg

WSDOT Photos

Keep Going!

Summer will be here in no time!

First trip over the pass already planned Jim?!?!? ;)

--G
I have had my nose pressed up against the Snoqualmie Pass window for a week now George. Getting anxious to get over there and complete a 1600 mile ride around Eastern WA, ID and Northwest OR. Looks like this week-end might present a weather window. :yahoo: If not I'll have to sneak through the Gorge, again to get this ride in.

I'v already done the 4 am run down I-5 this month on a trip to south-central WA and southwest OR. It started raining a mile from the garage on the departure and continued for two days almost non-stop. It was still raining when I returned to the garage 2 days later. 1400 miles of dust free riding. How cool is that! They had 7 inches of snow today in much of the area I was in on that trip.(Trout Lake, Kickitat, Appleton, places you know well. Silverton, OR, Lebanon, The Coastal Range, Eugene, Coos Bay and points south)

We live in a great state but the Cascades can keep us penned up over here to a degree. Say +/- 20 of em or so..... :dribble:

Keep Going!

Last edited by a moderator: