#1 Luis

Luis

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • 2001 (Gen I) Euro/Other

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

I am to replace the fuel line. What diameter is it? Also... Is anyone using fuel filters? If so, which one?

#2 Fred W

Fred W

Flatus Antiquous

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,247 posts
  • 2014ES (Gen III) N. America

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:55 AM

I am to replace the fuel line. What diameter is it? Also... Is anyone using fuel filters? If so, which one?

The fuel line is under pressure from the pump. You don't want to just clamps any old fuel line on there, or you'll risk leaks, which is a serious problem. I also seem to recall that the line has several bends preformed in the line to route it around obstacles when the tank is lowered. For these same reasons I would not attempt to install a fuel filter inline.

If I needed to replace the line, I'd would just buy it from Yamaha with all the correct fittings already correctly swaged on it.

I'm curious though, why do you feel that you need to replace the fuel line?

-Fred W                 nerd.gif    <----  (Click me!)      We're just getting started...    VisitedStatesMapIcon.jpg

#3 Luis

Luis

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

Hi Fred,
After watching one of those Gearz episodes inspeed channel, it got me thinking re why motorcycles do not have fuel filters? Some cars have even two (prefilter and a filter before and after the fuel pump to filter out (or at least help) all the gunk that the petrol has, particularly when I do not ride everyday anymore and my bike stays in bed during the long and cold (not so much this year) winter (I put preservative in the fuel before putting the bike to bed). For what you are saying... no, no...do not bother...

Cheers

#4 Luis

Luis

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

hang on... is no. 19 a fuel filter?

http://a3.bikebandit...iles/10/1_1.png

#5 Luis

Luis

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

oops... let's try again...

Posted Image

#6 Ignacio

Ignacio

Administrative Idealist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,712 posts
  • 2005 A (Gen I) N. America

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

hang on... is no. 19 a fuel filter?

Whoa. :huh:

It's an air filter. The FJR doesn't have a fuel filter as discussed here and many other places when searching on fuel filter site:fjrforum.com at Google.
My LD Blog, IBA #332
2014ES "Deep Thought", 2005 ABS "Heart of Gold", 2005 "Zaphod" & 2013 Husqvarana TR650 Strada "Noxeema"
wfo04.gif through wfo09.gifBMR.jpg150K%2005CLUB.jpg322616.png
Seat Review here (click on About Me) or here. Gen 1 LED conversion for instrument lights here and taillights here. Watts of radar detectors and GPS here.
Google Search is your FJRForum friend! Try something like best tire FJR site:fjrforum.com at google.com

#7 Ignacio

Ignacio

Administrative Idealist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,712 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

oops... let's try again...

Posted Image

Instead of zooming in on pictures...why don't you read what the number says the part is from the fiche and tell us what the part is? :glare:
My LD Blog, IBA #332
2014ES "Deep Thought", 2005 ABS "Heart of Gold", 2005 "Zaphod" & 2013 Husqvarana TR650 Strada "Noxeema"
Seat Review here (click on About Me) or here. Gen 1 LED conversion for instrument lights here and taillights here. Watts of radar detectors and GPS here.
Google Search is your FJRForum friend! Try something like best tire FJR site:fjrforum.com at google.com

#8 Fred W

Fred W

Flatus Antiquous

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,247 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

Here's a link to the parts breakdown.

Item #18 is labeled as "filter", but it seems to be an aux air filter on one of the vacuum lines coming from the airbox.

-Fred W                 nerd.gif    <----  (Click me!)      We're just getting started...    VisitedStatesMapIcon.jpg

#9 Ignacio

Ignacio

Administrative Idealist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,712 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

Item #18 is labeled as "filter", but it seems to be an aux air filter on one of the vacuum lines coming from the airbox.

Ahhh...that makes a little more sense now. I think the OP is trying to wish a fuel filter onto the platform. :)
My LD Blog, IBA #332

#10 Bustanut joker

Bustanut joker

STFU

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts
  • Other or considering FJR

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

Ahhh...that makes a little more sense now. I think the OP is trying to wish a fuel filter onto the platform. :)

Sheesh! Another guy fixing something that ain't broke..:blink:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Los Robustos M/C member #18 Darksider #28

#11 wfooshee

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,378 posts
  • 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:07 AM

Sheesh! Another guy fixing something that ain't broke..:blink:

Like what color the bike is???? :P
Darksider #18

Are you the reason I'm so far above average?
I'm always right, yet it continues to surprise people! How can that be?

#12 HotRodZilla

HotRodZilla

I've Been Warned!!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,992 posts
  • 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:32 AM

Hi Fred,
After watching one of those Gearz episodes inspeed channel, it got me thinking re why motorcycles do not have fuel filters? Some cars have even two (prefilter and a filter before and after the fuel pump to filter out (or at least help) all the gunk that the petrol has, particularly when I do not ride everyday anymore and my bike stays in bed during the long and cold (not so much this year) winter (I put preservative in the fuel before putting the bike to bed). For what you are saying... no, no...do not bother...

Cheers

If you have "gunk" accumulating in your fuel because you park your bike over the winter, you have bigger problems than wether or not you have a fuel filter. Tons of FJRs with over 100k miles on them, and none of them ever messed with the fuel delivery system. If you properly winterize your bike, you shouldn't have any worries.

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"
- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

-John 15:13

#13 Luis

Luis

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

Great! No hunk that I know of. Winterizing done every year (since in the USA) according to standard operating procedures. One thing less to worry about!
Cheers guys!

#14 FB1

FB1

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

The FJR fuel pump does seem to have a pump inlet filter inside the pump reservoir assembly. I don't see it in the fiche as a separately replaceable part, though. It's part of the in-tank pump assembly. From post #5 in this thread:

Posted Image

The filter sock is the yellowed square thing. From my Walbro Automotive fuel system days (20 yrs ago), I vaguely recall that these were approx 30 micron nylon interwoven fabric filters on the Denso in-tank EFI pumps. They should be good for the life of the bike.
2005 Kawasaki Z750S
2008 Yamaha FJR1300
1998 Honda Magna V4 VF750
2000 Suzuki Savage LS650