fuel line

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luis

Reaction score
I am to replace the fuel line. What diameter is it? Also... Is anyone using fuel filters? If so, which one?

I am to replace the fuel line. What diameter is it? Also... Is anyone using fuel filters? If so, which one?
The fuel line is under pressure from the pump. You don't want to just clamps any old fuel line on there, or you'll risk leaks, which is a serious problem. I also seem to recall that the line has several bends preformed in the line to route it around obstacles when the tank is lowered. For these same reasons I would not attempt to install a fuel filter inline.

If I needed to replace the line, I'd would just buy it from Yamaha with all the correct fittings already correctly swaged on it.

I'm curious though, why do you feel that you need to replace the fuel line?

Hi Fred,

After watching one of those Gearz episodes inspeed channel, it got me thinking re why motorcycles do not have fuel filters? Some cars have even two (prefilter and a filter before and after the fuel pump to filter out (or at least help) all the gunk that the petrol has, particularly when I do not ride everyday anymore and my bike stays in bed during the long and cold (not so much this year) winter (I put preservative in the fuel before putting the bike to bed). For what you are saying... no, no...do not bother...

Cheers

oops... let's try again...

1_2.png

Here's a link to the parts breakdown.

Item #18 is labeled as "filter", but it seems to be an aux air filter on one of the vacuum lines coming from the airbox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Item #18 is labeled as "filter", but it seems to be an aux air filter on one of the vacuum lines coming from the airbox.
Ahhh...that makes a little more sense now. I think the OP is trying to wish a fuel filter onto the platform. :)

Hi Fred,

After watching one of those Gearz episodes inspeed channel, it got me thinking re why motorcycles do not have fuel filters? Some cars have even two (prefilter and a filter before and after the fuel pump to filter out (or at least help) all the gunk that the petrol has, particularly when I do not ride everyday anymore and my bike stays in bed during the long and cold (not so much this year) winter (I put preservative in the fuel before putting the bike to bed). For what you are saying... no, no...do not bother...

Cheers
If you have "gunk" accumulating in your fuel because you park your bike over the winter, you have bigger problems than wether or not you have a fuel filter. Tons of FJRs with over 100k miles on them, and none of them ever messed with the fuel delivery system. If you properly winterize your bike, you shouldn't have any worries.

Great! No hunk that I know of. Winterizing done every year (since in the USA) according to standard operating procedures. One thing less to worry about!

Cheers guys!

The FJR fuel pump does seem to have a pump inlet filter inside the pump reservoir assembly. I don't see it in the fiche as a separately replaceable part, though. It's part of the in-tank pump assembly. From post #5 in this thread:

DSC04219.JPG

The filter sock is the yellowed square thing. From my Walbro Automotive fuel system days (20 yrs ago), I vaguely recall that these were approx 30 micron nylon interwoven fabric filters on the Denso in-tank EFI pumps. They should be good for the life of the bike.