Tank Vent Line

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetpilot5

Reaction score
Quick question. With the gas cap open, is there any reason I should not be able to easily blow or suck air through the gas tank vent line?

Quick question. With the gas cap open, is there any reason I should not be able to easily blow or suck air through the gas tank vent line?
I'm assuming here that, as concerns your FJR, you are not, indeed, able to blow or suck air through the gas tank vent line with the gas cap open.

Actually, I am. I initially had the wrong hose and was testing the airbox drain line. :poster_oops: After finding the tank vent line I was able to easily blow air through it with the cap open. It also worked with the cap closed. I also checked for proper operation of the cap vent using the procedure outlined here.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=18042&st=20&p=722219entry722219

At this point I'm satisfied the tank is venting properly. I get a pretty strong gas smell once I park after a good ride and wanted to make sure everything was good. I haven't lifted the tank yet to check for a leak, that's next, unless this is just the nature of the beast. There's no obvious evidence of a leak. No drips, stains etc and it only smells after a ride, not all the time.

Just lifted the tank and everything underneath is dry as a bone, no stains or accumulated dirt that would point to a leak. All fittings clean and dry. Good news really. The engine must heat the tank pretty good after shutdown, the vapor smell has been strong after the last couple of rides.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: