High Beam - One Headlight only - Not working

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SullyCuse

Reaction score
My left side bulb would not light when the high beams were selected, so I figured the bulbs were ready to go. So I decided to change both bulbs.

I installed a new bulb in the right first. Checked that, and all works fine, low and high beam.

Installed new bulb in the left (side I was having the problem). Before buttoning up, checked that side. Low beam works, no high beam.

I thought maybe the new bulb was faulty, so had two more new bulbs. I installed both those new bulbs, and they have the same problem, so I can assume (after having 4 bulbs in the one socket) there is something else amiss.

Any suggestions why one side high beam would not work (no light at all) but the low beam works fine?

Thanks in advance for any help.

FYI - Spider recall has been completed and Art's harness installed as well.

Don't know what's wrong with your lights, but how about the Orange!! :yahoo:

(Whatta game!)
Hey Sacramento Mike - It was quite the game. I think I was shaking for 30 minutes after the game.. Damn.. 3 more to go, and I can relax. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not an electrical expert but perhaps you could check the circuit with a multi meter before and after the relay? Don't know if this tells you anything such as a bad relay, etc. Just a thought.

Each lamp has a yellow wire and a green wire. One is 12V on high beam, one is 12V on low. I think the yellow is high, but I'm not sure, working from memory.

The fact that one side works and not the other rules out the relay, as the relay only has one wire which splits to each headlight.

I'd say you have a bad circuit (broken or cut wire) or a bad socket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd start at the socket that plugs on the light bulb and work back from there. Check for corrosion and a loose or broken wire.

Well if it ain' fxd by now I would suggest a BIG FAT JOINT..

An a Multi meter as was suggested.

Seems easy enough

I just went and checked it at half time of the Kentucky/IU game and it was exactly what the guy that helped me wire the spider harness ( :asshat2: two posts up :baaasmiley: ) thought it was. (Actually, he was kind enough to wire the whole thing, why I was working on another wiring project at the same time.) He plugged the wiring harness in, but it was off by 90 degrees, so one spade was not plugged in. 2 prongs were plugged in and one spade was exposed. :eek: :blink: QUICK fix. Well, I now have two new bulbs and know how to change them both. No harm, no foul :yahoo:

Thanks to all you the chimed in.. Glad it was nothing more serious. :bye: