KrZy8 Engine Swap Day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good idea or not?

• Yes - Yamaha screwed the pooch on this design

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • No - Yamaha did it that way for a reason!

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Who cares about dirty TBA plates, you're the CBA prez!

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
What do you think did cause the dirty TB plates? That whole under-seat area looks pretty dirty/dusty to me. Does the owner live on a dirt road ? ? ?
The Hondarosa is located at the end of a three mile dirt road. The owner looks like 10 miles of bad road.
Dirt roads are not the root cause. Too many of us have those nasty looking TB plates that don't ride dirt roads.

I don't know what the root cause is. Oiled air filters like K&N I think are a possibility. Maybe it's 'normal'. Who knows.
Tx for all kind words! :yahoo:

Me thinks the crankcase blowback is cause of oily crusty crud on TBA. Straight shot from cc to plates. Other bikes I own have filters that drip accumulated oil from cc after hours of use, bikes including Honda yamaha Harley. If I had the right hose I would have bypassed it.

I got in about 10:30 last night. Good to be out of Ca. and back where it's safe. :rolleyes: Covered right at 1500 miles with the old truck and running loaded I got just under 20 MPG. It usually does around 22 running empty. Not bad for a old school 302. I did want to stop in Shasta and see if Russell would build a seat.

Yes I have the Kawi motor and just unloaded it. I.m going to build an adaptor for my engine stand cause it's a heavy bitch to move around. When I do the autopsy I will get some pictures up.

Way to go Don! Glad you and the crew had a successful session and the bike is back among the living. Amazing what can happen with a little help, eh? :good:

I got in about 10:30 last night. Good to be out of Ca. and back where it's safe. :rolleyes: Covered right at 1500 miles with the old truck and running loaded I got just under 20 MPG. It usually does around 22 running empty. Not bad for a old school 302. I did want to stop in Shasta and see if Russell would build a seat.

Yes I have the Kawi motor and just unloaded it. I.m going to build an adaptor for my engine stand cause it's a heavy bitch to move around. When I do the autopsy I will get some pictures up.
Lookin forward to that last part, Ray.

Love the truck! With the triangular wind wings, it must be a . . . 54 or 55? I never knew you had one of those!

For a number of years that were way too long ago, I drove a '56 F-100,* cinnamon metallic with a black tonneau cover, powered by a '57 292 with a 3 speed. A 302 and 4 speeds (or a C-6) woulda been much nicer. Kept wanting to do a much more thorough restoration, but having to drive it (and having no garage in Steamboat Springs or Tahoe for several years) made that nearly impossible. Still did a lot of wrenching on it, usually as things failed. Tool box went everywhere I did, and I once hitch hiked from Rye Patch on 80 to Reno and back to buy a fuel pump and install it. Now, of course, I wish I'd never sold it (~1980).

* the one year of that body style with rectangular wind wings.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you think did cause the dirty TB plates? That whole under-seat area looks pretty dirty/dusty to me. Does the owner live on a dirt road ? ? ?
The Hondarosa is located at the end of a three mile dirt road. The owner looks like 10 miles of bad road.
Dirt roads are not the root cause. Too many of us have those nasty looking TB plates that don't ride dirt roads.

I don't know what the root cause is. Oiled air filters like K&N I think are a possibility. Maybe it's 'normal'. Who knows.

Me thinks the crankcase blowback is cause of oily crusty crud on TBA. Straight shot from cc to plates. Other bikes I own have filters that drip accumulated oil from cc after hours of use, bikes including Honda yamaha Harley. If I had the right hose I would have bypassed it.
Thanks dcarver that is, unfortunately, a plausible explanation too (unfortunate because it is easier to use a paper filter than to re-route a hose) :). That degree of blow-back does not sound like the kind of design engineering I have come to expect from Japan though. Is there some way to minimize cc blow-back; weight of oil, cleanliness of oil, quantity of oil ? ? ? Also, thanks for streaming your surgery, it was fun to watch an efficient team in action.

Lookin forward to that last part, Ray.

Love the truck! With the triangular wind wings, it must be a . . . 54 or 55? I never knew you had one of those!

For a number of years that were way too long ago, I drove a '56 F-100,* cinnamon metallic with a black tonneau cover, powered by a '57 292 with a 3 speed. A 302 and 4 speeds (or a C-6) woulda been much nicer. Kept wanting to do a much more thorough restoration, but having to drive it (and having no garage in Steamboat Springs or Tahoe for several years) made that nearly impossible. Still did a lot of wrenching on it, usually as things failed. Tool box went everywhere I did, and I once hitch hiked from Rye Patch on 80 to Reno and back to buy a fuel pump and install it. Now, of course, I wish I'd never sold it (~1980).

* the one year of that body style with rectangular wind wings.
It's a 55. 302 that I built for longevity and milage bolted to a AOD 4speed auto and a 9" ford rear with 3.25 gears.

Consider the compression ratings on one and four. There was a huge about of piston blow-by, so all those fumes ended up in the crankcase and then to the TBA.