Photo

KrZy8 Engine Swap Day

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

Poll: Re-route crankcase vent to K&N Filter (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Good idea or not?

1. Yes - Yamaha screwed the pooch on this design (7 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

2. No - Yamaha did it that way for a reason! (9 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

3. Who cares about dirty TBA plates, you're the CBA prez! (7 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 willboe

willboe

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

I know what RH thinks, and there has been a lot of speculation, but I don't think the Crankcase Breather hose is what causes the dirty TB plates.

And yes, remove the airbox.

Good luck mi amigo. Wish I could have been there.

What do you think did cause the dirty TB plates? That whole under-seat area looks pretty dirty/dusty to me. Does the owner live on a dirt road ? ? ?

#82 yamafitter

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

What do you think did cause the dirty TB plates? That whole under-seat area looks pretty dirty/dusty to me. Does the owner live on a dirt road ? ? ?

The Hondarosa is located at the end of a three mile dirt road. The owner looks like 10 miles of bad road.
cfrlogo-2-1.jpgNAFO-2010pinrev1.jpgcfr2010.jpgwcrlogo.jpgCFR2013signature_zpsf3d5251e.jpg
Confucius say: "No matter where you go ..... there you are"

#83 Fairlaner

Fairlaner

The Bartender Whisperer

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,996 posts
  • 2013A (Gen III) N. America

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

Well i got home from Creston about an hour ago after a very secessful weekend and another fine run across highway 58 in the rain (i love AWD)....

R
R.I.P. My one fingered friend Posted Image
IBA Number 45197 CBA #3

#84 dcarver

dcarver

FJR Forum Post Whore

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,637 posts
  • 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

The Hondarosa is located at the end of a three mile dirt road. The owner looks like 10 miles of bad road.

Hey, I resemble that remark! :lol:

Well i got home from Creston about an hour ago after a very secessful weekend and another fine run across highway 58 in the rain (i love AWD)....

R

Woo Hoo! No LEO encounters, R?
Walked away Posted ImagePosted Image Is it really crashing if you don't fall down?--
I wouldn't change a fucking thing; I've lived hard, played hard, and I ain't done yet. I've paid some severe penalties along the way, but the rewards have been so much greater; even if for just have participating in the game of life with utmost abandon. It's not who rides the furthest in a day, but rather in a lifetime. CBA member #1, IBA #31845 and very proud of both.
Posted Image

#85 dcarver

dcarver

FJR Forum Post Whore

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,637 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

Lots of pix and what not here..

And some for here too!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/21305659
Walked away Posted ImagePosted Image Is it really crashing if you don't fall down?--
I wouldn't change a fucking thing; I've lived hard, played hard, and I ain't done yet. I've paid some severe penalties along the way, but the rewards have been so much greater; even if for just have participating in the game of life with utmost abandon. It's not who rides the furthest in a day, but rather in a lifetime. CBA member #1, IBA #31845 and very proud of both.
Posted Image

#86 garyahouse

garyahouse

newbs need the forum

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts
  • 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

Congratulations doctors on your successful heart transplant. Glad to hear that your patient is breathing normally. Now for the hard part: getting all the clothes back on...
Gary
darksider #44
FJR: the most fun you can legally have.

#87 redtail

redtail

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

Educational entertainment at it's best! Thanks for taking pic's and streaming all this for the rest of us! Really enjoyed the show!

A Friend recently explained to me that " a good amount of air time is required to truly appreciate road rash!" I'd like to take his word for it!
IBA #42150

#88 madmike2

madmike2

Shtirrenuppenmeister

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,926 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

:yahoo: Ray put his signature on the sign! :yahoo:

:clapping: And drove the "classic" Southbound.:clapping:

:clapping::yahoo: Great job, gentlemen (and I meant the last word used)! :yahoo::clapping:
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#89 dcarver

dcarver

FJR Forum Post Whore

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,637 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

Ray is one awesome dude. He's currently in Dorris, CA, been driving all day, has about 2.5 hours to go. Don't know how he's doing it.. I'm ready for bed and it's not even 9 pm! :unsure:
Posted Image

#90 dcarver

dcarver

FJR Forum Post Whore

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,637 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

:yahoo: Ray put his signature on the sign! :yahoo:

:clapping: And drove the "classic" Southbound.:clapping:

:clapping::yahoo: Great job, gentlemen (and I meant the last word used)! :yahoo::clapping:

Thanks Mikeee!
Posted Image

#91 Bustanut joker

Bustanut joker

STFU

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,116 posts
  • Other or considering FJR

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Put a cok in it Carver.

:fuck:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Los Robustos M/C member #18 Darksider #28

#92 dcarver

dcarver

FJR Forum Post Whore

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,637 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

And SPECIALthanks to my sheep shagging shearboi amigo Bust-A-Nut! :lol:
Posted Image

#93 03HiYoSilver

03HiYoSilver

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts
  • 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

Don,

Congrats... Thanks for taking us along with your perservering saga..

long live KrZy8 and a Salute to your Friends!

#94 Fred W

Fred W

Flatus Antiquous

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,352 posts
  • 2014ES (Gen III) N. America

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:33 AM

Doctor Howard, Doctor Fine, Doctor Howard.

Let me pile on with my congratulations on a job well done!! You guys dun great. None of us want to have to go through what you just have, but it sure is comforting to know that these bikes can be rejuvenated in such a situation.

Here's to hitting another 150k on KrZy8,eh? :fans:

-Fred W                 nerd.gif    <----  (Click me!)      We're just getting started...    VisitedStatesMapIcon.jpg

#95 petey

petey

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • 2013A (Gen III) World

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:30 AM

Congrats to all that brought KrZy8 back. :clapping: Carver, good luck with the re-energized girl.... :assassin:
There is no better therapy, than a ride.

#96 beemerdons

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,354 posts
  • 2013A (Gen III) N. America

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:02 AM

Congrats to all that brought KrZy8 back. :clapping: Carver, good luck with the re-energized girl.... :assassin:

+1, Gunny; Great FJR Work by Everyone, Congratulations on the "new" KrZy8 dcarver!

#97 SkooterG

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,129 posts
  • 2004 (Gen I) N. America
  • 2009 A (Gen II) N. America

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

Dirt roads are not the root cause. Too many of us have those nasty looking TB plates that don't ride dirt roads.

I don't know what the root cause is. Oiled air filters like K&N I think are a possibility. Maybe it's 'normal'. Who knows.

IBA #327........................ Darksider #52

FJRForum:  No fun allowed here!

FJR#1 - The 'Dirty Ol Whore' - 2004 non-abs - RIP @ 226,400 - Gone, but not forgotton.
FJR#2 - The 'Hula Girl' - 2004 ABS - 147k
FJR#3 - The 'Virgin' - 2004 ABS - 4344 miles, a garage queen
FJR#4 - The Oregon FJR - 2004 ABS - 65k
FJR#5 - The Bastard POS Gen II - 2009A - 68k

FJR#6 - ?????

200K_04CLUB.jpg 100K%2004CLUB.jpg 158771.png

#98 willboe

willboe

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

Dirt roads are not the root cause. Too many of us have those nasty looking TB plates that don't ride dirt roads.

I don't know what the root cause is. Oiled air filters like K&N I think are a possibility. Maybe it's 'normal'. Who knows.

Ahhhh, thanks SkooterG, that makes sense to me. These awesome engines Suck Big-time (I mean that in the very best way), and I can see them pulling oil from a slightly overdone K&N, or similar filter. Dry Filters for me for sure.

#99 Joe

Joe

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Good luck on the new motor.
Hope it takes care of you.
Many more miles.

Joe (Bob)
Also known as Tucson Joe
2006 AE
Member, FJR Assistance Directory

#100 dcarver

dcarver

FJR Forum Post Whore

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,637 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

Tx for all kind words! :yahoo:

Me thinks the crankcase blowback is cause of oily crusty crud on TBA. Straight shot from cc to plates. Other bikes I own have filters that drip accumulated oil from cc after hours of use, bikes including Honda yamaha Harley. If I had the right hose I would have bypassed it.
Posted Image