SE Ohio Ride 3-22-12 & Oops

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone - gray ray let me know that my being a little too "precise" may have diluted the key lessons to be learned here. First as wheatonfJR said - go into the turns thinking there is gravel or a car in your lane. Second - there is never ever a reason to use your rear brake unless shooting across the dirt or going in a straight line. All it will do is lock up the rear tire and if you are leaned over you will go down instantly. Since the fjr has linked brakes it makes point 3 even more important. Point 3 do all your braking upright. If you go into a turn and already have the front end loaded the brakes load it even more causing you to overload it and slide the front. This is magnified becuase with the linked brakes the rears also automatically get applied which can cause the rear to lock up.

Everything is about not overloading the small contact patch. When we race we first tell beginners to brake and then accelerate just a little going into a turn. This helps transfer the wt from being all in the front to more 50-50 on both contact patches to help cornering. Go into the corner slow, turn latter and hard and steer with the throttle to determine how far our you want the bike to go. Using this hard turning and accelleration makes it impossible to ever run wide off a turn. It helps you see if the corner is clear, and then you can use the awesome fJR power to accellerate out of the turn. We call this pointing and shooting. Best technique for street riding with all the unknowns. Bottom line never ever hit your rear brake.

Lesson 4 - if you get it wrong have a great story - like going under a semi:)

Everyone - gray ray let me know that my being a little too "precise" may have diluted the key lessons to be learned here. First as wheatonfJR said - go into the turns thinking there is gravel or a car in your lane. Second - there is never ever a reason to use your rear brake unless shooting across the dirt or going in a straight line. All it will do is lock up the rear tire and if you are leaned over you will go down instantly. Since the fjr has linked brakes it makes point 3 even more important. Point 3 do all your braking upright. If you go into a turn and already have the front end loaded the brakes load it even more causing you to overload it and slide the front. This is magnified becuase with the linked brakes the rears also automatically get applied which can cause the rear to lock up.

Everything is about not overloading the small contact patch. When we race we first tell beginners to brake and then accelerate just a little going into a turn. This helps transfer the wt from being all in the front to more 50-50 on both contact patches to help cornering. Go into the corner slow, turn latter and hard and steer with the throttle to determine how far our you want the bike to go. Using this hard turning and accelleration makes it impossible to ever run wide off a turn. It helps you see if the corner is clear, and then you can use the awesome fJR power to accellerate out of the turn. We call this pointing and shooting. Best technique for street riding with all the unknowns. Bottom line never ever hit your rear brake.

Lesson 4 - if you get it wrong have a great story - like going under a semi:)
Uup what he said...good stuff!

...snip ... Point 3 do all your braking upright. If you go into a turn and already have the front end loaded the brakes load it even more causing you to overload it and slide the front. This is magnified becuase with the linked brakes the rears also automatically get applied which can cause the rear to lock up.

...snip...
Agreed do most if not all your braking straight up and down (the street is not the race track).

Unless I am mis-reading the second half of your statement or I misunderstand the linked brake system, the front brake lever does not apply the rear brakes. It is the opposite, the rear brake applies some front brake via one set of brake pads on the right front caliper.

I thought the front also activated the rear. Good to no I was wrong as I hoped they were not connected that way. Using front and rear brakes may help in a panic stop on the freeway sitting upright but will ruin your day on the curves. I do not use the rear brakes as a habit and have to make a concious effort once in a while to use the rear say pulling to a stoplight just to keep them from rusting in place. However as a normal riding habit I forget they exist.

I thought the front also activated the rear. Good to no I was wrong as I hoped they were not connected that way. Using front and rear brakes may help in a panic stop on the freeway sitting upright but will ruin your day on the curves. I do not use the rear brakes as a habit and have to make a concious effort once in a while to use the rear say pulling to a stoplight just to keep them from rusting in place. However as a normal riding habit I forget they exist.
What happened to ride like your hair is on fire and throwing it wildly into the corners with great abandon???

The difference between driving a car and riding a motorcycle is like watching TV or living your life....

Just saying...

Best advice so far on rear brakes "Forget they exist"

Gray Ray #65

Moto Series

or just use them while you are straight up and down. Then again racing, I had to let off the front brake a little to get the rear tire back on the ground so it could be effective :p

What happened to ride like your hair is on fire and throwing it wildly into the corners with great abandon???

The difference between driving a car and riding a motorcycle is like watching TV or living your life....

Just saying...

How is that workin for ya? Sorry Steve could not resist :)

Good one Ray...I earned it!

As I have a lot of time on my hands sitting on my butt...I keep thinking of the early days (and yes that was long long ago) when we were learning to race. We went as fast as we could until we fell then backed off a bit next time around..this does not work well with the FJR and public roads.