Vista cruise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of us run the universal two cable model. Your challenge will be your heated grips and if there is enough room between the grip and throttle housing to install the Vista. IIRC, it's difficult to remove the throttle side factory grip to gain room.

---G

I have heated grips and the instructions from FJRTech are on a bike with heated grips and there is no interference.

I followed the FJRTech instructions and installed the Vista Cruise with a set of Hot Grips. I did have to shim out the bar end with two washers on the throttle side to allow the throttle to rotate without any interference from the grip.

IMGP1491.jpg

Intech's suggestion on the install is the only way to go with the vista cruise, I addded a heated grip kit and no problems. This mounting method puts the lever right where your thumb is. no brainer, clean installation too. :clapping:

check out this link My link

This is exactly how I mounted mine.
Gave up on this yesterday. As I had previously installed heated grips, the raised wire outlet touches the VistaCruise and sticks. May try exposing and re-routing the wires (like in the FJRtech link).

Only other option is to buy a new RH heated grip and throttle tube.

Wish I'd checked this link BEFORE gluing the grip :banghead:

This is a picture of the install I did:

bracket-websize.JPG

this is a link to description: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=127905&view=findpost&p=894891

the big reasons for me to do it this way are 1) didn't drill a hole in the housing 2) the VC is suppose to have a little play on that bottom piece, so that it doesn't bind and always works 'freely'. I tried the drilling into housing thing on my ST13, but the VC never seemed to work quite right. But every bracket I've made like this one has always worked great.

always remember that doing a 'search' of the site can be very informative and save you a lot of grief. There are many great ideas for installing things like this.

i know this is not rocket surgery... it worked beautifully on my VFR...

BUT

i've fiddle around with it on my 2010 FJR now and finally gave up.

i'm looking for wisdom

I like the way azitlies bracketed. (trying to draw,cut and shape one myself) i'm not interested in drilling.

My problem is the space between the hilt of the grip and the control housing. it's too tight.

do i remove the friction discs that are intalled from the factory?

do i break loose and slide the grip back toward the bar end?

which model VC works best for FJR?

I know about trimming the hilt...

I plan on adding heated grips this year.

maybe i'm missing a step in the install.

do i remove the friction discs that are installed from the factory?

Yes to both questions. To gain space, you'll need to slide the grip towards the bar end and you already know the hilt will need trimming. Remove the factory disc and install the one provided with the Vista.

Two Cable version is what most use for the installs you see on these threads.

--G

i know this is not rocket surgery... it worked beautifully on my VFR...

BUT

i've fiddle around with it on my 2010 FJR now and finally gave up.

i'm looking for wisdom

I like the way azitlies bracketed. (trying to draw,cut and shape one myself) i'm not interested in drilling.

My problem is the space between the hilt of the grip and the control housing. it's too tight.

do i remove the friction discs that are intalled from the factory?

which model VC works best for FJR?

I know about trimming the hilt...

I plan on adding heated grips this year.

maybe i'm missing a step in the install.
Oh boy, just remembered why I didn't have any of those problems Guy. When I did mine I switched over to BMW grips at the same time. They are a little shorter then fjr OEM. So the left side I had to move the housing out a little to match it up. But the right side was a perfect fit with the vista cruise.

Those bmw grips aren't that expensive and they are comfortable.

I've installed several of these on my bikes and those of friends, none with heated grips however, just like that shown in FJRTech. But instead of drilling, countersinking and tapping, I GLUE the VistaCruise to the control housing with GOOP. They have Automotive Goop, Household Goop, Shoe Goop, it's all the same stuff. Clamp it into place and let it dry for about 6 hours before using. It won't come loose until you want it to, but can be broken loose with a wedge of some sort and the remaining glue can be rubbed off with vigorous effort. I've never had one come loose by itself. Line it up carefully ahead of time, I prefer the "flattest" top surface of the thumbpiece to be level with the ground.

I just got a Vista Cruise. I've searched all over this forum and read every post I could find about it. I know I'll have to do something to fasten the thing in place. What I don't get at this point is how to get it on in the first place. The instructions seem to indicate that it opens sort of like a handcuff but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to open it like that to get it on. Do you have to take the right grip off to slide it on? Any help for this idiot would be appreciated.

Edit: Nevermind - the adjustment screw didn't appear to turn very much but after giving it some effort, it turn all the way out so it could open up. Now I just have to get it between the grip and the housing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the Vista Cruise on my ST1100. I could never get the thing adjusted so that it wouldn't slip when on or wouldn't grip when off. I just use the palm rest, works great.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MartinH" data-cid="1069157" data-time="1369324094"><p>

I had the Vista Cruise on my ST1100. I could never get the thing adjusted so that it wouldn't slip when on or wouldn't grip when off. I just use the palm rest, works great.</p></blockquote>

Which is exactly why I've abandoned Vista Cruise in favor of NEP.

I installed my NEP in '06 and haven't needed to adjust it since.