Purolator "Synthetic" Oil Filter -- Model Number for FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harfooz

Reaction score
I was picking up some oil on sale at Advance Auto Parts this morning and noticed they have a line of Purolator "Synthetic" Oil filters. They are blue -- instead of mustard yellow.

Has anybody got any information about these filters for the FJR? I couldn't determine which model I would need from the Purolator web site. :huh: Anybody know a model number that will work well?

Here are the details I can find on the Purolator site: Purolator Synthetic Oil Filters

Thanks,

'fooz

No doubt the color definitely caught my attention. I've got a stash of a couple of the mustard yellow PureOne filters in the garage when they were on sale at Amazon a while back and have one of the Bosch Distance Plus D3323 out there, but I might just spring for a snazzy blue one to match the bike. Ha!

I applied a couple of coats of black paint to the yellow ones after pulling off the label on the side. I haven't had a issue with it pealing from the textured surface either.

I applied a couple of coats of black paint to the yellow ones after pulling off the label on the side. I haven't had a issue with it pealing from the textured surface either.
I tried that with some black barbeque paint on one of my mustard P1's and it just made it ash grey. That's about the time I found the Bosch D+ filters in a dark blue :clapping: which I've been told by the shop guys is made by Purolator anyhow. Nothing to back up that claim though.

I picked up one of these new PSL14610's at Advance and will be putting it on the bike in a couple of weeks. Getting close to an oil change mileage.

'fooz

My take on reading their marketing propaganda is they recomend the "synthetic" filter for cars that run extended change intervals with synthetic oils. The fact that the oil is synthetic or the filter media is synthetic is significant only as much as it can extend the change interval. They recomend changing the "Pure One" filters at 3k mile intervals, unless the manufacturer specifies otherwise (whatever that means).

For those of us running dino diesel w/ 4-5k mile oil changes, just about any oil filter is gonna do the job. The snazzy black Supertech filters on the shelf right near the Rotella T 15W40 oil will get the same job done at half the cost. Y oil MMV

Last edited by a moderator:
My take on reading their marketing propaganda is they recomend the "synthetic" filter for cars that run extended change intervals with synthetic oils. The fact that the oil is synthetic or the filter media is synthetic is significant only as much as it can extend the change interval. They recomend changing the "Pure One" filters at 3k mile intervals, unless the manufacturer specifies otherwise (whatever that means).

For those of us running dino diesel w/ 4-5k mile oil changes, just about any oil filter is gonna do the job. The snazzy black Supertech filters on the shelf right near the Rotella T 15W40 oil will get the same job done at half the cost. Y oil MMV
The SuperTech filters have disappeared from the shelves here in SC WalMarts.

'fooz

The SuperTech filters have disappeared from the shelves here in SC WalMarts.

'fooz

Really? That would be a travesty. So now all you can get there are those crappy, inferior FRAM bullshit filters?
At my local WM, yep, that's all they've got on the shelf. That's why I get my filters from either an auto parts store or Amazon.

You can stand at the corner red light where the local WM is, and swing a dead cat. The dead cat will hit one of 4 auto parts places (NAPA, O'Reilly's, AutoZone, Advance) or one of places 4 fried chicken restaurants (Zaxby's, KFC, Wendy's, Bojangle's). :lol:

No dead cats were (further) harmed in this research.

'fooz

Thanks for the input. Will make a note in my maintenance schedule. Wally World PS 14610. But the color doesn't match. What to do? Think I'll paint a little "happy face" on it. :) Since we're always obsessing over some little item... why not?

Gary

darksider #44

+1 on what Mikey? Let's hear your valued opinion. +1 that you want to paint a smiley face on your filter too? +1 that you can't find Supertech filters? +1 that you think we obsess over some little things? +1 that you just want to get your post count up? +1 that you don't really have anything to say, but are gonna say something anyway? +1 that you think the PL filter is too long compared to the PS filter? What it is Mikey...Tell us with your vast knowledge and all knowing opinions of this bike.

Holy cow!