NERDS Treasure Hunt and Photo Safari

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
And now... here's what you've all been waiting for!

2012 NERDS Treasure Hunt and Photo Safari

(New England Riders Doing Stuff!)

Welcome to the inaugural NERDS Treasure Hunt and Photo Safari (THaPS). In this game participants, heretofore known as the "hunters," will be challenged to travel all around the state of Vermont collecting photographs and other local treasures along their way. This will be a single day hunt, rain or shine, on
Thursday August 16
th,
as a part of the 2012 NERDS gathering in Stowe, Vermont.

The rules of the hunt are fairly simple. There are no mandatory stops, bonuses or treasures. You are completely free to decide which things you'd like to see and acquire. Hunters will be rewarded with point values of varying amounts for each of the bonuses and treasures that they collect in their travels. There are also several lucrative "combination bonuses" awarded for the collection of a certain number of bonuses in a particular category.

The Hunt

Hunters cannot leave the Commodores Inn parking lot before 9:00AM and should plan to return by 5:00PM.
Returning after 5:00PM will result in a penalty of 5%
of the total bonus points that they have collected.
Returning after 5:30PM will result in a penalty of 15%
of your total points.
Any hunter who returns after 6:00PM will be disqualified.

The challenge of the game is to
strategically
collect the most bonus points within the time allotted without risking returning late. Fair warning to all… the traffic on Route 100, especially around the intersection of the Mountain Road (Route 108) in Stowe Village, can be highly congested in the evening rush hour. Plan accordingly.

More than anything else we would like to make it emphatically clear that
this is NOT a race
The Hunt Masters neither condone nor encourage any illegal or unsafe riding practices by the hunters.

Please remember that
this is just a game
. There is really nothing of significance at stake here more than some bragging rights. It's all about getting out, seeing some cool things in Vermont that you might not otherwise find, and having a little fun. Let's all try and keep things in the proper perspective.

One month prior to our hunt day, a list will be published of each of the possible bonus locations by category, including the name, street address, point value, and the bonus "type." Bonus type will be either a photo bonus or a treasure location. Any "treasures" will be relatively inexpensive or free, and will be small enough to carry in FJR saddle bags. We will also reveal the approximate time that it should take to acquire any such treasures, but not what the treasure actually is (oh no, not yet). Also, the combo bonuses will be indicated for each of the bonus categories.

This information will prove to be critical in the strategizing of your hunting plans. Something to keep in mind is that some bonus locations may not be open for the entire day. Be sure to allow yourself plenty of time to collect all of your intended bonuses (photos and/or treasures) and get back to the starting point on time
safely

The Pre-Hunt Meeting

There will be a pre-hunt meeting out in the Commodores Inn parking lot at
8:00 AM on Thursday morning
. At that time, an updated, printed bonus list will be provided to each contestant showing what each of the treasures is, or what exactly needs to be included in the bonus photographs.

At this pre-hunt meeting each of the hunters will receive their very own
Treasure Hunting Mojo!!
Each of the Mojos has its own unique identifier. You will be required to include your Mojo in each of your bonus photos to prove that
you
were actually there that day. Hunters must orient their mojo so that the unique identifier is clearly visible in all bonus photos, as well as whatever the bonus subject matter is from the bonus list; else no credit can be given.

In order to encourage safe riding, at the Pre-Hunt meeting, hunters will be required to submit their
current driver's license
to be sealed and then returned back to them for the day. Hunters must present the
still fully sealed
license when they "tally up" their collected bonuses that night, otherwise they will receive a
40% point penalty
(to be applied after any time penalty). So, you really do not want the local constabulary pulling you over and asking for your license and registration. Keep in mind that some establishments may also ask you for proof of your date of birth for
certain types
of purchases.

End of the Hunt

Immediately upon your return to the Commodores Inn parking area (before 6:00 PM!) you will be required to temporarily surrender your Mojo and all of your collected treasures (but not the pictures yet) to the designated "
Hunt Time Keeper"
in order to stop the clock. Your Mojo and all of your treasures will be bagged and tagged by the Time Keeper, right out in the parking lot, and retained for the time being by the Hunt Masters for later inventorying. But no worries, you'll get all of your stuff back after the "tally up."

Hunters should take great care of their Mojo throughout the entire hunt. Guard your Mojo well and do not let it out of your sight. If another hunter happens to lose his Mojo and you see it, do not touch it! They will soon realize their
huge
mistake and return to try and "get their mojo back." Possession of, or otherwise messing with, another hunter's Mojo in any way will not be tolerated, and is grounds for disqualification from the hunt and much other general consternation.

The Tally Up

There will be some
"Tally Mon"
available in the Hunt Command Central room (just off of the main lobby, across from the main desk) for you to
"Tally Up"
with on Thursday from 5PM thru 9PM. Only hunters who have successfully stopped the clock by surrendering their Mojo before the 6PM deadline will be allowed to Tally Up. Hunters should plan on helping the Tally Mon with their entire tally.

In each their turn, the hunters will review and take inventory of their collection of bonus photos with one of the Tally Mon.
Bonus photos must be provided either on an SD memory card or USB memory stick
to be viewed on (and copied to) the Tally Mon's laptop computer. The Tally Mon will not peer at the little LCD screen of your camera or phone. Regular sized SD, Mini-SD or Micro SD cards and USB-type memory sticks are all acceptable memory formats. The Tally Mon cannot accommodate any other memory card formats.

Next, the hunter's treasure bag will be inventoried. After his tally is done the hunter will get his all of his treasures and, perhaps more importantly, will
get his Mojo back
!

The NERDS-THaPS Trophy

Full results of the hunt will be revealed at the FJR-NERDS Friday night Barbeque, and some grand and glorious presentations will be made at that time. In the event of a points tie for winner, a tie-breaking competition involving the hunters' mojo may be required, so be sure to keep yours handy.

Happy Hunting!!
Link to a printable pdf copy of this Announcement & Rules

The above announcement will also be posted on the Official FJR-NERDS website.

Don't forget to register there if you want to join the hunt!!

I noticed the Tally Mon does not give back the memory stick. This is just a scam for the Tally Mon to get free flash memory. Bastard.

I'm just jealous. I won't get back from Europe in time to play. I'll be traveling on Thursday from the Great White North to Stowe.

I plan on making it to Ben & Jerry's by 6PM for ice cream since it is my 60th Birthday.

I'm in on this, could always use some good mojo.

Thanks Fred, sounds like a great good time.

Wow Fred, this sounds like fun. We're not planning to arrive at Stowe until Thursday night but I'll sure be looking for ways to adjust our itinerary. Good on ya for putting this day together. Looking forward to being a NERDS!

Now see, that's why we need to keep Ole' Bill around. It had never occurred to us that we had to give those memory sticks back. :eek:

And how cool is it that you'll will be spending your milestone birthday with the NERDS bunch in Stowe? At least you'll make it there in time for the post hunt festivities Thursday night. ;)

But I'm afraid that, in my announcement, I have been a negligent front-man. I've failed to give the proper credit (and shared blame) to the rest of the THaPS crew, who have been, and continue to be, pivotal in the organizing of this tom foolery.

In addition to me and my ever tolerant wife Joann, your Hunt Masters are: Ed and Grace (the FJReds), Paul and Gina (the Asphalt Junkies), and Alan and Helen (the ionbeams).

From urbandictionary.com: Thaps: 'describes an action or person who is stupid, idiotic, or a moron. an unintelligent act or person can be described as "thappy". '

So Thursday night I'm guessing there will be a lot of 'thappy' people at the NERDS love in.

Seems I've been quite the NERDly slacker lately, but I finally got around to updating the NERDS website with the Treasure Hunt and Photo Safari info. Here's a link to the new page: Treasure Hunt

Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
What? Tiger man McCool?

Hell, yeah. I think Tony just got his self a new FJR Forum moniker.

(off to solicit help from the admins for a name change) :p