VA Tech Day Interest?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powerman

Reaction score
It's on for 4/28/12 Fredericksburg VA. PM if you plan on attending.

I can put a few long distance guys up for the night.

Oh, and what kind of maintenance will you be wanting to try?

I have a fair amount of manly equipment and moderate FJR knowledge. I have tire changing/balancing stuff, and a manometer for synchs. Also have a nice A-Frame to hold up the bike. MIG and TIG welders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just trying to gauge the interest level. I live in Fredericksburg VA.

I have a fair amount of manly equipment and moderate FJR knowledge. I have tire changing/balancing stuff, and a manometer for synchs. Also have a nice A-Frame to hold up the bike. MIG and TIG welders.
So I take by this thread that you are proposing to host this? I am game. I need to do a valve clearance check. Are you going to get all the dead weight out of the way? Also, when are you proposing. We are in outage until 4/10.

There won't be any cigar smoking and scotch drinking will there?

I would love to see a tech day somewhere near. I would make every effort to be there. :clapping:

Keep in mind that any time I have been in Mike's garage we have been working on HIS bike. ( with the exception of one TBS) So, Mike, what is it you need us to do? :p

For you guys doing a valve check. Make sure you have a TC cover gskt, shims, and it's not a bad idea to change the tensioner, and chain while you're in there. It's cheap insurance if you have many miles. I replaced mine when I did the valves at 60000 miles. It may not be needed, but now I know I'm good in there for another 60000. ;)

Also, you might as well do the plugs while you're in there. Very easy to do w/valve cover off. 5 more minutes

And get a set of those excellent pair covers from Dave while you have the valve cover off. This will clean up that area, and get a lot of that sh*t out of the way. 10 more minutes.

I might be up for it. I'm about 4 hours away in Chapel Hill, NC. I want to dial in my suspension, sync the throttle bodies, install PAIR cover plates, and I think I have a AVCC around here somewhere.

I was thinking end of April? Lots of drinking, we'll start on Bob's valves as the experiment.

(always wanted to work on a German transmission - old AAMCO commercial)

Was hoping someone had done a valve adjustment? Yes Joe, I would think a cigar or two.

I was thinking end of April? Lots of drinking, we'll start on Bob's valves as the experiment.

(always wanted to work on a German transmission - old AAMCO commercial)

Was hoping someone had done a valve adjustment? Yes Joe, I would think a cigar or two.
If in "we" you mean you helping me while I do my own work so you can learn then you are right. The valve adjustment is not that big a deal really.

Art, thanks for the heads up on the different parts. Good points!

I will be away the weekend of 4/20 to 4/22 at a wedding, but don't let that stop you from that weekend. I can go over and mess with Mike anytime!

I leave for my trip across America on 5/5. I would prefer the tech day to be on the weekend of 4/28. 4/21 is my b-day. The Mrs. might veto me going to a tech day that weekend (claims she is planning something for me). I wouldn't mind doing a PAIR install and a TBS. I have a Carbtune that I can bring.

I leave for my trip across America on 5/5. I would prefer the tech day to be on the weekend of 4/28. 4/21 is my b-day. The Mrs. might veto me going to a tech day that weekend (claims she is planning something for me). I wouldn't mind doing a PAIR install and a TBS. I have a Carbtune that I can bring.
Hey Scott, the 22nd is my birthday. Your work is easy. Mike has his mad scientist manometer and I have a carbtune, so we can knock the TBS out easy. Do you have the Pair covers to install. that is easy as well once the tank is off for the TBS.

I would throw a vote in there for the weekend of 4/14-15.

I could probably use a TBS, myself. I might be interested.

I might be interested depending on the date. I will need to do the first throttle body sinc. What are PAIR covers and what do they do?

I might be interested depending on the date. I will need to do the first throttle body sinc. What are PAIR covers and what do they do?
they go in place of a whole lot of unnecessary crap that just gets in the way when performing usefull maintenance like a TBS.

I could probably use a TBS, myself. I might be interested.
Well, hopefully Mike can set it up on an agreeable date. He has a manometer and I have a carbtune, so we could knock out TBS's right and left. Wait until you see my setup. (Mike helped me with it) I can do my TBS in about a half hour. It also would be good to see you and have a beer Heidi!