Providence Canyon Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaRoller

Exit Stage Left
Reaction score
Me & Streetbetty did a nice easy 275 mile day ride on our respective bikes today.

Ride Loop Map

We started out at first light at about 7:30am this morning and headed out in clear cool 52 degree air (it ended up being a high of about 80 degree's with low humidity in the afternoon! :yahoo: ). We filled both of our bikes up in town and headed south for Providence Canyon State Park in Georgia just almost on the boarder with Alabama (approx 20miles south of Columbus, GA).

Providence Canyon

At the 140mile mark the smaller Ninja was getting thirsty....(I did the entire 275 mile route on one tank of gas without refilling...Be-Lee-Dat!)

GasStation740px.jpg

We packed our hiking boots in the FJR's saddlebags and switched into them once we got down to the Park. I'm glad we did because it was a muddy mess of a trail down in the Canyon.

YamahaOverlook740px.jpg

There are 9 canyon's here. You can hike down to the canyon floor and explore all of them. There is a 2.5 mile loop trail and a 7 mile backcountry trail you can do. There is also a rim trail at the top which offers some of the best views. While Georgia's Providence Canyon isn't the biggest, isn't the deepest, isn't the largest canyon by any means...it does have a unique beauty all to it's own. The orange & red & white & yellow canyon walls are really something worth riding down and seeing in person.

Here is a small sampling of what we saw today.

DSCF1861-740px.jpg

DSCF1809-740px.jpg

DSCF1823-740px.jpg

DSCF1822-740px.jpg

DSCF1852-740px.jpg

DSCF1858-740px.jpg

After a good 2-1/2hrs hiking & exploring it was about 12:30 and I was starving so we headed back out on the bikes.

We crossed the Chattahoochee River and entered Alabama.

Bridge740px.jpg

We rode into downtown Columbus, GA and stopped for some food at the Cannon Microbrew Bar.

OutsideBar740px.jpg

It had a really cool atmosphere. It's an old brick building that had some cool architecture on the inside. If felt like an old late 1800's industrial loft. We sat at the bar and had this view.

CannonBar740px.jpg

I ordered the "Black & Bleu" burger with beer fries and a homemade Sarsaparilla!....(figured I'd lay off the adult beverages on this ride)

BlackBleuBurger740px.jpg

After an excellent lunch we started the loop back home. I had us ride over the Pine Mountain ridge on the way back.

We had to stop and take in the senery one last time for the day.

Overlook740px.jpg

Here's a better view of what we saw.

PineMtnPano1000px.jpg

We got back home right at 5pm and I cut then entire 3 acres of lawn and finally had my ice cold beer! It was a good Sunday!!!!...I don't want to go to work tomorrow!!!!! :angry2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice RR Roller!! I never knew Ga. Had canyons. And it looks weird seeing all the leaves on the trees. We are just starting to get leaves here in Ind.

Nice job, thanks for sharing.

Bryan

I never knew Ga. Had canyons.
I honestly don't think most Georgian's even know it's there. I showed my pics to some of my local riding buddies and they never heard of it. LOL

That's whats so great about the internet is you can find these hidden gems, put it into your GPS and go explore and see new sights. That's what excites me about motorcycle riding. Seing new places on two wheels.

We also have Cloudland Canyon in the NW part of the state and Tallulah Gorge in the NE of the state. I've camped there a few times. Absolutely beautiful spot!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have rode there a few times myself and was actually thinking of going back shortly. Its been a few years. I may have to try that restaurant too.

Latest posts