#41 garauld

garauld

TIGmeister

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

If it's like every other system, the rubber mount on the stock peg would be removed and it would be attached via the two bolts that are there. In your case, you may find it easier/quicker to just purchase another rear peg for cheap and attach the hydration system to it, and keep your running boards. If you need the hydration system, just remove the peg and bolt on the one attached to the hydration system.

That is correct. :thumbsup:

BTW, no price has been determined yet - still fine-tuning the design. I expect the cost to be under $70 w/o the jug, which I bought for $5 at K-mart. ;)
2004 FJR (Red)
1980 WR390
1974 V7 Sport

"If ya can't be handsome, ya may as well be handy!"

#42 LowAndSilent

LowAndSilent

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

If it's like every other system, the rubber mount on the stock peg would be removed and it would be attached via the two bolts that are there. In your case, you may find it easier/quicker to just purchase another rear peg for cheap and attach the hydration system to it, and keep your running boards. If you need the hydration system, just remove the peg and bolt on the one attached to the hydration system.

BTW, no price has been determined yet - still fine-tuning the design. I expect the cost to be under $70 w/o the jug, which I bought for $5 at K-mart. ;)

If you have them ready by mid-to-late April I may just make a detour from my route and pick one up. I'd have about 3-4k miles home to doing some testing for ya. ;)
deerstrike1.gif

Darksider #45 (retired)
IBA #48894

#43 captainRob

captainRob

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Bike: 2001 (Gen I) Euro/Other

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

Looks like its going to be a winner!
Please put me on the list for one.
Rob
Horn broken.....watch for finger!

#44 mferriter

mferriter

Occasionally trying to get work done

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

If you have them ready by mid-to-late April I may just make a detour from my route and pick one up. I'd have about 3-4k miles home to doing some testing for ya. ;)

There's some nice riding through the Finger Lakes/Southern Tier areas in NY.

#45 007

FNG

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

This topic interests me as I reside in the armpit of Houston, TX. Without trying to enrage the FJR herd, being a noob n all, I do have a concern, ignore comments if not applicable.

My concern with your 3 strap/ring design centers around the strap lengths retaining the jug in position. Let's say you were hustling along/late at night/tired/brain fart etc and forget to snap 1 of the 3 clips in place, or forgot to replace the jug for whatever reason. Potentially the straps are long enough to allow that ring to find its way toward a moving rear wheel. If I'm following your thread correctly, it is mounting right next to the rear wheel?

Im not sure what load the straps combined with round disk can play with the forward momentum of the bike. Maybe you have already thought this through and have compensated in your design to accommodate for this? If so please can you elaborate...

I like the idea of this product and would consider purchasing a unit, providing my safety will not be compromised.

#46 garauld

garauld

TIGmeister

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

Good input. Before you posted, I updated the design of the system which reduced the length of the lower straps. I have since updated the image in the first post. I don't think they would be long enough to interfere with the rear wheel if one was detached. The other option of using a lever-actuated clamp is under consideration - this does not use straps. ;)
2004 FJR (Red)
1980 WR390
1974 V7 Sport

#47 FJR_Mikey

FJR_Mikey

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Bike: 2009 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:07 AM

Gerauld's equipment is top notch!

#48 garauld

garauld

TIGmeister

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

Here's my CAD model of MFerriter's clamp idea. I plan to build one for evaluation. The clamp is fully adjustable so it can clamp the jug as tightly as necessary. Comments?

Posted Image
2004 FJR (Red)
1980 WR390
1974 V7 Sport

#49 LowAndSilent

LowAndSilent

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

Here's my CAD model of MFerriter's clamp idea. I plan to build one for evaluation. The clamp is fully adjustable so it can clamp the jug as tightly as necessary. Comments?

Posted Image

Perhaps some rubber lining the inside of the top ring, to give it more grip and also to prevent any scratching of the container or tearing any cover that the end user has installed?
deerstrike1.gif

Darksider #45 (retired)
IBA #48894

#50 SacramentoMike

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

Comments?

Looks perfect--simple and secure. An insulating sleeve of some kind would be good too. This looks so much easier to just pull the bottle off the bike and take it inside to fill it up.

I see Coleman has jugs in lots of sizes--half gallon, gallon, two, etc. I'm wondering if you plan to make it for just one size jug, or maybe something that would accommodate more than one size, maybe for shorter or longer trips. Or does the base have to fit a specific diameter? How big was the other guy's bottle?
"These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." Groucho Marx
"Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff." Jack Handy
"Watch out for that tree!" George of the Jungle
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#51 garauld

garauld

TIGmeister

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

The base was designed for the Coleman 1/2 gal jug (which are very readily available) and also to use standard metal sizes to keep costs down. I don't think it will fit the Rubbermaid jug which is a bit fatter. I will offer to ship jugs as an option at cost. I have no plans to make a mount for larger jugs. See above thread re: pee stops... :P
2004 FJR (Red)
1980 WR390
1974 V7 Sport

#52 mferriter

mferriter

Occasionally trying to get work done

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:05 AM

Posted Image

Looks good. Not sure if I need one yet, but let me know how it works.

#53 raitchison

raitchison

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

I like the clamp idea better, should be faster for removal/installation when you need to refill the jug.

#54 garauld

garauld

TIGmeister

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

I sorta like the clamp idea also. Got a clamp today and it grips the jug nicely. It's definitely quicker to get the jug in/out. Real pics coming soon....
2004 FJR (Red)
1980 WR390
1974 V7 Sport

#55 LowAndSilent

LowAndSilent

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

I sorta like the clamp idea also. Got a clamp today and it grips the jug nicely. It's definitely quicker to get the jug in/out. Real pics coming soon....

Awesome. Darn fast work on putting one of these together.
deerstrike1.gif

Darksider #45 (retired)
IBA #48894

#56 LAF

LAF

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • Bike: 2010 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

Get em cranking..............

Looks Good!

#57 redtail

redtail

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

Would the buckle be in a position to dig into a leg if, heaven forbid, you went down on that side?

I like the soft bag and plastic buckles. With the only metal being a thick, blunt base plate. Just thinking out loud!

A Friend recently explained to me that " a good amount of air time is required to truly appreciate road rash!" I'd like to take his word for it!
IBA #42150

#58 garauld

garauld

TIGmeister

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:53 AM

The clamp is attached to the strongback using a pair of screws (not shown), so it can be placed as unobtrusive as feasible.
2004 FJR (Red)
1980 WR390
1974 V7 Sport

#59 TomInCA

TomInCA

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

There are some really nice components that buyers of this system could add. THIS LINK has insulated and non-insulated drinking tubes, quick connectors and bite valves. This are the same components used on Geigerrig units and they are slick., Some components are not all that cheap, but you can build a premium system without tearing apart an existing hydration unit.

These quick-connects are leak-proof and let you quickly disconnect tubing for refills.

Posted Image

beestrike.jpg I'm over it.  Let's ride!

#60 LowAndSilent

LowAndSilent

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

There are some really nice components that buyers of this system could add. THIS LINK has insulated and non-insulated drinking tubes, quick connectors and bite valves. This are the same components used on Geigerrig units and they are slick., Some components are not all that cheap, but you can build a premium system without tearing apart an existing hydration unit.

These quick-connects are leak-proof and let you quickly disconnect tubing for refills.

Posted Image

Now I just need to find a good way to connect a magnet to the end piece of the tube. I had noticed this on someone else's bike at one of the rally's. Near their bite-valve they had attached a neoprene (or some other material) covered magnet, so when they were done with it they just stuck it back down on their tank, where it stayed until they needed it again. Pretty nice way to keep it out of the way, but available for easy access.
deerstrike1.gif

Darksider #45 (retired)
IBA #48894