Garauld Refreshment System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a new design based in part on the older Skyway system. Since they are no longer available for purchase, I was asked to come up with something similar to it by a fellow rider - here it is. It is still under development as of this post, but I hope to have a finished unit built later this week so I can take some real pics. In the mean time, here's an image of the current CAD design. The base plate will attach to either the right or left passenger footpeg once the rubber has been removed. To remove the jug for filling, just pop the two side-release buckles shown and pull out the drink tube. The third strap will not have a buckle so it will stay attached to the base mounting plate. There initially will be no outer fabric "jacket" in an effort to keep costs down. The base and top ring will be powdercoated aluminum; silver and satin black are standard. Other colors may be available. Any feedback would be welcome. ;)

GarauldRefreshmentSystem.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not having a fabric cover could be just fine. I wonder what the possibility of a printed self-adhesive vinyl cover or other inexpensive sheet product would be for an exterior color.

This idea sure looks like it would get the job done at a reasonable cost.

Looks great....very slick. I have two of the original designed units but I would definitely consider your design as a future replacement

The only consideration I would give would be to the possibility that the bottom of the cooler may rotate due to vibration. The top strap plate may hold the top of the cooler stationary while permitting the cooler base to rotate due to vibration and over a long ride, could separate from the lid. Highly unlikely, but something to consider. A rubber non stick pad on the bottom of the aluminum holder would probably do the trick to prevent any issues.

I am in for a black one. I don't mind if it does not have a jacket. Warm water is fine with me for hydration. I am tired of carrying my Camelbak Mule.

This is great!

Excellent job. I had been reading the other thread where they were attempting to enlist your expertise. I'm really glad you've stepped up to the plate.

Either color would be fine with me, and I second Perry's suggestion about the rubber on the lower plate.

Too bad one of these babies won't be ready in time for my ride next month. I really wanted to have a hydration system mounted on the bike before then.

Just passing on a tip... I went to the salvage yard and picked up a Yamaha foot peg for abt 12 bucks. Mounted the new kit to it, and now I just swap pegs when I want to remove the system.

Looks good.

The only comment I have is that I'm not a big fan of nylon straps for holding things tight. Would it be possible to use a metal hose/duct clamp like this? I don't know if you'd actually have to hold it "down" if you clamp the jug with one of these (especially if there was a taper on the water jug (fatter at the bottom than the top), some sort of non-slip rubber coating or a rigid hook or notch that the clamp interfaced with).

5215kc2p2l.png

You can them from about 2" up to 24" diameter in different grades of steel.

It would also probalby keep the whole thing from rotating, but might increase the cost, however.

I guess having a cover or a neoprene sleeve would possibly eliminate movement of the water jug somewhat.

The third strap will not have a buckle so it will stay attached to the base mounting plate.
I have been using sk***y's version of this, and it's good to see you resurrect this useful farkle, garauld!

One comment immediately comes to mind, though. While it can seem like a nice idea to have the straps "captive" so as to not misplace them, it might be an inconvenience, too. There are many times when I've left the base attached to the footpeg but sans jug, as when I'm going on short trips or around town on errands. Perhaps it's worth considering how one might appropriately secure a set of flapping straps to the base when the water jug has been left behind?

Does anyone really ride long enough in one sitting that becoming hydratoin is a major issue?

Aside from riding in the desert of course. I normally stop every 2 - 2.5 hours (or as necessary for gas) and can grab something to drink at that point.

Maybe a good accessory for the IBR'ers out there.

Another thought I had was to use stretchable webbing with clips on the end that would latch into the base plate slots. I would expect it would take a pretty good jolt to pop the jug out of the lower mount.

Does anyone really ride long enough in one sitting that becoming hydratoin is a major issue?

Aside from riding in the desert of course. I normally stop every 2 - 2.5 hours (or as necessary for gas) and can grab something to drink at that point.

Hydrating WHILE riding makes for a more comfortable ride IMHO and leads to less general aches, pains, and headaches.

Looking forward to this new system! I'd love to retire my Camelbak. :D

Hydrating WHILE riding makes for a more comfortable ride IMHO and leads to less general aches, pains, and headaches.

Looking forward to this new system! I'd love to retire my Camelbak. :D
Seems like it would increase the pee-stops as well.

I was thinking about something like this (but think I've seen somehting like it before on the forum here somewhere). I think it's similar to the water jug mounts you see on the back of work-trucks, though. The strap clamps are highly adjustable using a worm gear threaded adjustment.

hydration.jpg

Apologies for the old-school design work, it is in full color, though.