FJR or Trophy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamal

No longer frightened by corners!
Reaction score
I bought an older FJR to see if I would like it. I LOVE it!

Next year I will have to make a decision. A new FJR or a Triumph Trophy 1200 (it SHOULD be available by then?)

trophy_1200.jpg

Other than price, any thoughts?

Thanks.

Al

I am always skeptical about the 1st year availability of any vehicle, no time to work out the bugs. Having said that, that is a great looking bike. Good luck on your decision.

I am always skeptical about the 1st year availability of any vehicle, no time to work out the bugs. Having said that, that is a great looking bike. Good luck on your decision.
+1 Study most of the first year BMW's for a comparison. :angry2:

Nice looking bike, I didn't realise they were coming out with these. Will have to check it out

I still think the FJR looks better, and it's proven itself, with many going over 200K miles. The Trophy is yet to be determined.

That triple is well proven though. It is great fun to ride, good gearbox. I would think they could make a reliable shaft drive also. Hopefully this will be an awesome machine,I really like it.

Did you really expect people here to recommend the Triumph over the FJR?

Maybe as a second bike.

That triple is well proven though. It is great fun to ride, good gearbox. I would think they could make a reliable shaft drive also. Hopefully this will be an awesome machine,I really like it.
Aren't the triple, gearbox, and shaft drive all new and essentially the same as on the new Tiger Explorer? If so, they've only been proven to hold up about a month so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
triumph-trophy-1200-2013-05.jpg

If it's really gonna be that ugly, I'll stick with the FJR. Looks like an overgrown Honda ST1300 with a less capable motor. No thanks.

Is that the same bike as the one in the OP? Because the one in the OP looks good and that one most definitely doesn't.

I'd be wary of a 1st gear bike compared to the known quantity that is the FJR.

Depending on how the Triumph works out I'd definitely consider it if I needed to replace the FJR in a couple of years.

Is that the same bike as the one in the OP? Because the one in the OP looks good and that one most definitely doesn't.
I believe it is the same bike, but the OP's photo is closer to what the production vehicle will look like. The black one is likely an early prototype.

triumph-trophy-1200-2013-05.jpg

If it's really gonna be that ugly, I'll stick with the FJR. Looks like an overgrown Honda ST1300 with a less capable motor. No thanks.
Zilla I think that is the current model? Chain driven and ugly!

The one I'm pondering over will be a 2013 model in the UK. I'll be there in September for a nephew's wedding, maybe I can try one out.

I'm not expecting anyone here to actually recommend me going to the 'dark side' - just thinking out loud.

Thanks.

Al

In the OP, IMHO, it looks very r1200rtish. If it wasn't for the decal and the vent on the side. Aren't the triples kind of buzzy?

Go to the dark side.

Just do it.

There are too many FJR owners on this site...we need you to buy the Triumph and give us a report...before you ditch it and get back to an FJR.

Aren't the triples kind of buzzy?
No. Triples are inherently smoother than 4 cylinders as their crankshaft counterweights are spread evenly around the crankshaft rotation.

PS - Those pictures of the black "prototype" were also shown in a 2010 "Spied" article in Motor Cyclist magazine. Same rider even.

It has certainly had plenty of time to evolve into something that doesn't look like an ST1300 clone.

Ok...So a couple of things.

#1: I was on a restricted computer that didn't pull up the picture in the OP. I didn't even know there was one till someone mentioned it and I looked on my phone. That red bike is purty...but from the front? I donno.

#2: The black bike I posted up is what I found when I searched for 2013 Trophy because I had heard about them, but not seen anything about them. If I remember, this was an earlier prototype and a "spy" picture. There were a few in that group and I picked this one. I didn't see any "new" pictures. The "old" Trophys that stopped in 2004 are ugly too IMHO...

#3: I guess they will have to use a new Triple since their biggest ST motor was the 1050, but Triumph makes a bitchen motor, and I wouldn't be afraid of it...The 1050 is really cool in the Sprint ST (GT now) but I don't know how much better it will be in a 1200 version in a heavier bike. The Sprint ST 1050 is what finally pushed me over the edge to get an FJR. That bike was cool as Hell, and a blast to ride, just a little small. However, knowing what I know now, I still wouldn't trade my FJR for a new Sprint or Trophy.

In the OP, IMHO, it looks very r1200rtish. If it wasn't for the decal and the vent on the side. Aren't the triples kind of buzzy?
I'm guessing the R1200RT is what they are gunnin' for. It will have the engine/drive-train and all the electronic goodies from the Explorer, which has been getting rave reviews.

Anyway, it's just an idea at this point. Maybe I'll get one of each :D

Al