New FJR- Low throttle response

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick B

Reaction score
Can anyone help me keep this Brand New FJR out of the local dealer?? It has 140 miles on it into the break in period and very poor low rpm throttle response. Sometimes stalls at traffic lights and stumbles on excelleration until its moving then it seems ok. Sometimes it really feels like it should have more zip???? I came off of a Kawasaki ZRX maybe the different nature bike just takes a little getting used to??? Help if you can please- lots invested.

Yup. Raise your warm idle speed to 1100 rpms (not less!).

The adjustment knob is up under the right side of the gas tank. Picture of it is in the owner's manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. Raise your warm idle speed to 1100 rpms (not less!).

The adjustment knob is up under the right side of the gas tank. Picture of it is in the owner's manual.
+1

This sounds exactly like the classic 'idle set too low' problem some FJRs have.

That, and with only 140 miles, you still need to adjust to the bike a bit.

Yep!

Most important setting for a new FJR is the idle setting...should be 1000-1100rpm. Dealerships typically set the idle as low as it can go too still keep the motor barely loping along -- 600-800rpm. That's TOO LOW.

The adjuster is just under the tank, by your right knee...

throt1.jpg

Thank you very much Gentlemen! I will give it a go and let ya know- other than that what a fine motorcycle. Do you guys feel it's necessary to have the dealer do the 600 mile oil change and rear gear oil change or do you just do it yourself? I hate to bring it in and have to leave it with them, just wasn't sure if it was crucial that they checked it the first time ? Thank you for your reply

Some FJRs have a tendency to have "over torqued" drain bolts from the factory, which leads to stripped pans at the first change.

If for no reason other than this, I would let the dealer break those bolts loose the first time. That way if something breaks, I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of getting it fixed.

I guess, that, and I trust my dealer, so they did my service for a while.

Rick,

supposedly, the 600 mile service is the most important one. There's a multitude of things the dealer is *suppose* to be checking; Steering stem, pinch bolts, axle torque, shock torque, all fasteners, gas and breather lines not pinched, caliper bolts and disc brake torque... to name just a few...

Idle speed would be another thing they are suppose to adjust.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, I'm saying if you're not comfortable doing this, then you might want to put this on the dealer, rather than just *hoping* it's all okay...

For the purpose of eliminating any doubt should a warranty issue arise in the future, I'd say let the dealer do it. After that, just keep your receipts for filters and stuff.

Some FJRs have a tendency to have "over torqued" drain bolts from the factory, which leads to stripped pans at the first change.

If for no reason other than this, I would let the dealer break those bolts loose the first time. That way if something breaks, I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of getting it fixed.
See ^^^^^^^

Incontrovertible proof that THIS is true!

My man, HotRodZilla, dings one outta the park!

See ^^^^^^^

Incontrovertible proof that THIS is true!

What was it that Bust said the other day?? Lemme see...He said something like, "hang it our your ear." "Pack sand." "Up yours." "Eat a bowl of dicks." "Gawd you're an asshole." No...Those aren't what he said.

Oh, Hell, now I remember, he said, "Put a cock in it Howie."

Words were never so eloquently nor appropriately spoken. So, put a cock in it Howie!

What was it that Bust said the other day?? Lemme see...He said something like, "hang it our your ear." "Pack sand." "Up yours." "Eat a bowl of dicks." "Gawd you're an asshole." No...Those aren't what he said.

Oh, Hell, now I remember, he said, "Put a cock in it Howie."

Words were never so eloquently nor appropriately spoken. So, put a cock in it Howie!
I am shattered! Here I publicly display my admiration and respect for you with a simple baseball analogy, and you verbally assault me!

Shattered....simply broken. I may never recover. :cry:

Sure do appreciate your advice you guys- the idle kick up made a great difference and as far as bringing it in- great advise re warranty, factory blunders and checking specs- all adds up to good sense having the dealer do the first 600 mile service on it Thank you Fella's! Hey Hot Rod and Howie, I sure didn't mean to stir a fuss but I really appreciate both of your expertise!

...- all adds up to good sense having the dealer do the first 600 mile service on it...
Then make SURE they do the things they said they did before you leave the shop... including making sure the Oil & Filter has been changed.

Good Luck with the Service...

Sure do appreciate your advice you guys- the idle kick up made a great difference
Really??? The "idle" thing we all espouse is simple BS. It's what we tell all the newbies when their FJRs don't run well. Really doesn't make a difference, but it's an ongoing Forum practical joke. :p :p :p

Hey Hot Rod and Howie, I sure didn't mean to stir a fuss but I really appreciate both of your expertise!
Yeah, well, he's a bi-polar bitch. PMS'ing ALL the time. Never know when he's gonna snap!

Sure do appreciate your advice you guys- the idle kick up made a great difference
Really??? The "idle" thing we all espouse is simple BS. It's what we tell all the newbies when their FJRs don't run well. Really doesn't make a difference, but it's an ongoing Forum practical joke. :p :p :p

Hey Hot Rod and Howie, I sure didn't mean to stir a fuss but I really appreciate both of your expertise!
Yeah, well, he's a bi-polar bitch. PMS'ing ALL the time. Never know when he's gonna snap!
Dang...I was gonna say the same thing about Howie. :dribble:

Well......Whatever- it doesn't stall anymore so there ya go. Have a nice day
Dude...We're glad it's running good. It's funny how a slow idle will make such a difference with these machines. Now, go ride it!!

Well......Whatever- it doesn't stall anymore so there ya go. Have a nice day
Rick B, very glad that Greg and Fred were able to help you out and getting your FJR running like it should run!

Like usual, RadioHowie and HotRodZilla were as worthless as teats on a boar hog and queer as a 3 dollar bill!!

Latest posts