Forest Rd. 90

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blufjr

blufjr
Reaction score
I found this on the USDA - Gifford Pinchot National Forest Site:

This will be fantastic, especially if you do the loop out of Vancouver to Cougar then Carson and back. I head about this two years ago from a Sheriff Dep. up at McClellan View point. Glad to see it is being scheduled.

yahoo.gif

Vancouver, WA –Officials from the US Forest Service and Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) invite the public to an open house Wednesday, March 14 at 7 pm to learn more about a project to improve Forest Road 90 along the Swift Reservoir. The open house will be held at the Gifford Pinchot National Forest Headquarters Office located at 10600 NE 51st Circle, Vancouver, Washington 98682.

The project will improve a 19-mile stretch of Forest Road 90 from the Skamania County line near Cougar to the junction of Curly Creek Road. The Federal Highway Administration and the Gifford Pinchot National Forest completed a highway safety study in 2009 for this section of Forest Road 90. The study identified roadway stabilization, asphalt surfacing, reflective signing, guardrails, and reduction of falling rock hazards as improvements needed to meet current Highway Safety Standards.

“This is a great opportunity to partner with Skamania County and the Federal Highway Administration to enhance public safety on this popular route into the heart of the Gifford Pinchot National Forest,” said Tom Snoberger, Forest Engineer for the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. “The project design will begin in 2012, with construction anticipated in 2014 or 2015,” Snoberger added.

The project will improve a 19-mile stretch of Forest Road 90 from the Skamania County line near Cougar to the junction of Curly Creek Road. The Federal Highway Administration and the Gifford Pinchot National Forest completed a highway safety study in 2009 for this section of Forest Road 90. The study identified roadway stabilization, asphalt surfacing, reflective signing, guardrails, and reduction of falling rock hazards as improvements needed to meet current Highway Safety Standards.
I wish they would leave that section of FR90 the way it is and repave the gravel sections of FR90 that are east of the junction of Curly Creek Road. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Heck FS 25 from Randle to the turn off to Windy Ridge just plain sucks and that is being kind. You need a GS bike to ride that road, especially northbound. It is so bad you could wreck a rim. Is FS 90 in the proposed work area worse than FS 25?

I am good with fixing a road as long as meeting current Highway Safety Standards does not mean the Destroyers Of Twistiness are given a free reign! :angry2:

Any improvements in that area would be welcome. As Fontataman pointed out though...to bad they didn't pay a little closer attention to which roads need attention.

All the more reason for a big trailie! :)

--G

I just hope they leave teh curves alone and don't try to straighten out the road.

FS90 really needs the work but I agree that it would be nice to get the 18 miles of gravel over Babyshoe Pass paved. Riding over from Randle would be considerably more comfortable on the feejmobile on spankin' new blacktop. But how about that Wind River Road? What a beautiful strip of pavement!