Raise/Lower Windshield Chatter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly Bye

Reaction score
When I raise or lower the windshield the entire mechanism does not slide smoothly on my '08. It bumps and chatters.

Is there a way to lube the tracks without removing fairing components?

What should I use to lube the tracks?

I did a search, so if this topic has come up before I could not find any posts related to it.

The search function and I do not work well together.

Flame suit on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mine was doing that and at speeds over 65 it wouldn't move unless I helped it along with a hand. I took it to dealer last fall before my warranty ran out and they replaced the mechanism, bushings, arms. They replaced all but the shield and outside brkts just to make sure they fixed it.

I actually R&R all the parts before, and I think It may have been fine if it was all cleaned and lubed, but with warranty running out I wasn't taking chances. You do need to take off the plastic to properly clean and lube the tracks and bushing that ride inside them. There is 4 tracks and 4 square plastic bushings that ride in the tracks, this is were the dirt and binding is occurring. So you need to take it all apart to get all the dirt out, and there is a sh*t load of dirt. The FSM says to use lithium soap base grease. I use a lithium base grease with Teflon in it only because I have it in the boat biz. It's made by Mercury and called 24C. It's made for stuff like this, it resists water wash out, and the Teflon makes it more slippery for friction parts. Just don't use it on needle brgs. You can get it in squeeze tubes. I think cleaning and lubing with any quality grease is better than not and I don't see how it could hurt it. And a little grease goes a long way, don't over do it.

Also there's a lot of little bushings, and washers holding the arms to the assembly, and the bushings are not all the same, and the washers go in a certain place so I would recommend you do one side at a time so you have the other for reference.

My response last night to the other windshield thread

My 07 had the same problem. It was not my windshield gaskets. When I adjusted my valves I removed the front cowling. It wasn't that hard after all the other plastic was off. At 32,000 miles I cleaned and lubed the tracks, I used dilectic grease and it helped significantly. At 52,000 miles I did the valves again and took all of the plasic off again <_< . This time I cleaned and lubed the tracks with synthetic grease. I also took apart the pivot bushings and cleaned then lubed with graphite powder. It works like new now. I also have decided to only adjust the windshield at slow speed. It can't be a good thing to raise that huge Rifle shield at 80 mph. I disabled the auto-retract when the bike was new.

There is a lot of good information here.

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Now I know what I have to do.

Oh please, don't stop the post here.

Especially Howie with those informative pics. :)
I repeat...how about them Yankees!!

yankees1_original_display_image.jpg
sexy-yankee-fan_display_image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: