PR2 Install Lament

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been running PR2s for several years and like them. I have a new pair ready to be installed.

The old dirt floor independent shop that has previously done my installs for $10-$20 per tire has a new policy- they will only install tires bought from them (and they will bill full MSRP+).

So, I checked around and yesterday went to another independent shop. They had quoted $50 to install both tires. When I got there they said they could not install 'low profile' tires.

Got on the phone, called another independent shop. No, they won't mount tubeless tires. WTF?

Finally bit the bullet and called a Yamaha dealership. Yes, they will install my tires. At shop rates, so the cost will be over $100 for the pair. To top it off, they don't have a balancer so cannot balance the install. WTF is with that? The service manager also told me it would take extra time to remove the side cases. Yeah, right. He went on to say that the exhaust might have to be removed. I set him straight on those issues, but really, it's a Yamaha dealership. Don't they know anything

I know the PR2s typically require almost no balancing, and I've already got weights on the wheels from the $10-$20 shop that did balance the tires, so maybe it will be okay?

Kind of concerned about the no balancing install. What's the consensus?
Look into changing your own ... it sounds hard, especially when people say you need a tire changer, and balancer which cost extra money. You can change your tires with ease after purchasing a couple of tire changing spoons and some rim protectors... and they are pretty cheap. You can make your own bead breaker with some scrap wood you probably have laying around the garage ... it takes all of two pieces of wood (many u-tube videos and instructions everywhere) my tire changer was couple of 4X4 scrap blocks of wood... you just need something to keep the rim off the ground. Balance your tires to perfection using Dina-beads, easy and you don't have to worry about the weights flying off later. Read it up on the process, its not bad at all.

I've been running PR2s for several years and like them. I have a new pair ready to be installed.

The old dirt floor independent shop that has previously done my installs for $10-$20 per tire has a new policy- they will only install tires bought from them (and they will bill full MSRP+).

So, I checked around and yesterday went to another independent shop. They had quoted $50 to install both tires. When I got there they said they could not install 'low profile' tires.

Got on the phone, called another independent shop. No, they won't mount tubeless tires. WTF?

Finally bit the bullet and called a Yamaha dealership. Yes, they will install my tires. At shop rates, so the cost will be over $100 for the pair. To top it off, they don't have a balancer so cannot balance the install. WTF is with that? The service manager also told me it would take extra time to remove the side cases. Yeah, right. He went on to say that the exhaust might have to be removed. I set him straight on those issues, but really, it's a Yamaha dealership. Don't they know anything

I know the PR2s typically require almost no balancing, and I've already got weights on the wheels from the $10-$20 shop that did balance the tires, so maybe it will be okay?

Kind of concerned about the no balancing install. What's the consensus?
Look into changing your own ... it sounds hard, especially when people say you need a tire changer, and balancer which cost extra money. You can change your tires with ease after purchasing a couple of tire changing spoons and some rim protectors... and they are pretty cheap. You can make your own bead breaker with some scrap wood you probably have laying around the garage ... it takes all of two pieces of wood (many u-tube videos and instructions everywhere) my tire changer was couple of 4X4 scrap blocks of wood... you just need something to keep the rim off the ground. Balance your tires to perfection using Dina-beads, easy and you don't have to worry about the weights flying off later. Read it up on the process, its not bad at all.

Love the bead breaker, Fred! :clapping:
Meh. :p
16jlobk.jpg

Love the bead breaker, Fred! :clapping:
Meh. :p
16jlobk.jpg
[Tim Taylor]

Har-Ar-Arrr!!! Now that's a fucking bead breaker, boyz!!

[/Tim Taylor]

Just don't be late pulling back on the hydraulic control lever.

I'd hate to see how easy that wedge goes through the rim. :p

PS - I've used a similar splitter before plenty, so I know most of them go pretty slow.

PPS - Is that your woodpile zorlac, or kindling pile? You sure do like to split your wood small. I guess that's what happens when you own a cool splitter toy like that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my new rubber on this morning! The owner of the shop changed the tires by hand, no changer, and definitely knew what he was doing. He did a good job. He balanced with a bubble balancer.

I ran it up to 100mph on the way home and it is smooth. He charged me $50 and I gave him an extra $20. He told the guys working for him that he was buying the beer this evening. :lol:

Here's the black FJR that went down in front of the shop. He said he was going to try to repair the broken plastics. Maybe the bike is not insured or he doesn't want to file a claim, don't know, but it's going to be difficult to get it looking good again.

03292012004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you are up and running again. See you at SFO.

Mac

I guess I'm lucky. My local dealer charges $25 -$30 to change balance and dispose of old tire (this is California). It's 10 -20 % less if you buy the tire or just a good customer. Now 2 FJR's, Generator, valve adjust and some parts. His prices are basically online prices now so it's all good. I get 12-17k miles on PR2's and changed to PR3's on old bike and will install on new bike when stock tires wear out. I put 126K miles on the 2005 and just going for break-in on the 2012. I do most of the maintenance( all fluid changes, sparkplugs, tbs, light bulbs) on both bikes except for the valve adjust and the tires. I don't mind spending a little extra money on stuff to keep a dealer in business and in this case it works

Latest posts