06 FJR running warmer than usual

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockmurf

IBA #31100
Reaction score
Bike is running one bar over mid line consistently and often moves up 2-3 bars. Air temp here is in the 70's and the bike used to run 1-2 bar under the mid line. Coolant has been flushed annually, it has coolant at correct level, and the fan is working. Any ideas? Bike has 110,000 miles and this is the first non maintenance type repair I have had. Thanks in advance.

Try spraying some Hydrogen Peroxide on the Radiator Cooling Fins (Soaking the Hell out of it) might help.

Let it sit for a while and then Rinse it off. A million little dead dry bug guts can take a toll on the Air Flow! Good Luck! :)

rockmurf, you have a PM.

What you're describing happened to my [previous] '06, but was corrected with a good radiator cleaning and T-stat change. Linky to my thread and pics on the subject.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck and hope it cures the problem.

--G

Who changed the coolant? Was a 50/50 ratio used? Straight coolant is a horrible heat sink.

Thermostats are designed to fail open, allowing to much coolant to flow as the spring gets weak.

A failing t-stat usually makes the engine run cooler or takes much longer to heat up.

Bike is running one bar over mid line consistently and often moves up 2-3 bars. Air temp here is in the 70's and the bike used to run 1-2 bar under the mid line. Coolant has been flushed annually, it has coolant at correct level, and the fan is working. Any ideas? Bike has 110,000 miles and this is the first non maintenance type repair I have had. Thanks in advance.
Me too! My 08 started doing the same thing while on a trip two years ago. Stopped at a dealer who after a quick look said everything looked fine and as long as the fans came on and I wasn't losing fluid it was OK! Now a buddy with an 09 started having similar problems last year so I have decided to get and install a new thermostat and will be checking the rad very carefully for ingested crud. It was also suggested,"with a doubtful look", that it (could) be the impeller and when I dump the coolant I could pull the cover and look for possible wear problems there? After a little more thought the service manager agreed it is more likely the therostat. I wonder if I risk bending or damaging the rad fins with a pressure wash? Anyone have a bad experience?

It was also suggested,"with a doubtful look", that it (could) be the impeller and when I dump the coolant I could pull the cover and look for possible wear problems there? After a little more thought the service manager agreed it is more likely the therostat. I wonder if I risk bending or damaging the rad fins with a pressure wash? Anyone have a bad experience?
I would doubt the impeller is causing problems.

Don't use a pressure washer on the radiator. As earlier suggested, soak the radiator to soften up any debris and then gently flush from the inside. I rigged up a small right angle nozzle that fit between the headers and radiator and used medium water pressure.

--G

It was also suggested,"with a doubtful look", that it (could) be the impeller and when I dump the coolant I could pull the cover and look for possible wear problems there? After a little more thought the service manager agreed it is more likely the therostat. I wonder if I risk bending or damaging the rad fins with a pressure wash? Anyone have a bad experience?
I would doubt the impeller is causing problems.

Don't use a pressure washer on the radiator. As earlier suggested, soak the radiator to soften up any debris and then gently flush from the inside. I rigged up a small right angle nozzle that fit between the headers and radiator and used medium water pressure.

--G
Thanks George!

Who changed the coolant? Was a 50/50 ratio used? Straight coolant is a horrible heat sink.

Thermostats are designed to fail open, allowing to much coolant to flow as the spring gets weak.

A failing t-stat usually makes the engine run cooler or takes much longer to heat up.
After the thermostat change and fin cleaning, if I wasn't concerned about freezing, I would consider running distilled water with Water Wetter. I run this in my race bike and have never over heated even on 90 deg. + days (I, on the other hand have!), and that is at WOT, 10,000 rpm lap after lap. The engine is even modified with 2mm over 13/1 comp. pistons and hotter cams all the while running the stock radiator. The bike is a '99 Suzuki SV650 and the radiator is pristine inside. You can change it out every year for about $2 to boot.

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

Last edited by a moderator: