#1 rockmurf

rockmurf

IBA #31100

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • 2013A (Gen III) N. America

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

Bike is running one bar over mid line consistently and often moves up 2-3 bars. Air temp here is in the 70's and the bike used to run 1-2 bar under the mid line. Coolant has been flushed annually, it has coolant at correct level, and the fan is working. Any ideas? Bike has 110,000 miles and this is the first non maintenance type repair I have had. Thanks in advance.

#2 majicmaker

majicmaker

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

Try spraying some Hydrogen Peroxide on the Radiator Cooling Fins (Soaking the Hell out of it) might help.

Let it sit for a while and then Rinse it off. A million little dead dry bug guts can take a toll on the Air Flow! Good Luck! :)
If you're not the lead dog. The view never changes and it always smells like crap!

#3 ahchiu

ahchiu

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,947 posts
  • 2009 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

Check your thermostat, it may not be opening all the way.
Marcus
06 FJR1300A, 04 R6
Previous Bikes: 00 Honda ST1100, 97 Triumph Tiger, 83 Suzuki GS1100E
I'M SLOWER THAN SOME, FASTER THAN MOST

#4 Strayshot

Strayshot

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

+1 On checking the thermostat.

#5 HotRodZilla

HotRodZilla

I've Been Warned!!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,009 posts
  • 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

+1 On checking the thermostat.

And +1 on making sure the radiator is clean. However, if one day it just started running hotter, it may be the thermostat taking a dump.

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"
- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

-John 15:13

#6 escapefjrtist

escapefjrtist

Searching for Dry Roads

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

rockmurf, you have a PM.

What you're describing happened to my [previous] '06, but was corrected with a good radiator cleaning and T-stat change. Linky to my thread and pics on the subject.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck and hope it cures the problem.

--G

IBA 34365

'09 FJR

'12 Super Tenere

#7 rockmurf

rockmurf

IBA #31100

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • 2013A (Gen III) N. America

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

Thanks George. Ordering the new stat now.

#8 Afast03nNJ

Afast03nNJ

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

Who changed the coolant? Was a 50/50 ratio used? Straight coolant is a horrible heat sink.
Thermostats are designed to fail open, allowing to much coolant to flow as the spring gets weak.
A failing t-stat usually makes the engine run cooler or takes much longer to heat up.
Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
http://i189.photobuc.../15en8vpma1.gif

#9 jmgrif

jmgrif

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:05 AM

Bike is running one bar over mid line consistently and often moves up 2-3 bars. Air temp here is in the 70's and the bike used to run 1-2 bar under the mid line. Coolant has been flushed annually, it has coolant at correct level, and the fan is working. Any ideas? Bike has 110,000 miles and this is the first non maintenance type repair I have had. Thanks in advance.

Me too! My 08 started doing the same thing while on a trip two years ago. Stopped at a dealer who after a quick look said everything looked fine and as long as the fans came on and I wasn't losing fluid it was OK! Now a buddy with an 09 started having similar problems last year so I have decided to get and install a new thermostat and will be checking the rad very carefully for ingested crud. It was also suggested,"with a doubtful look", that it (could) be the impeller and when I dump the coolant I could pull the cover and look for possible wear problems there? After a little more thought the service manager agreed it is more likely the therostat. I wonder if I risk bending or damaging the rad fins with a pressure wash? Anyone have a bad experience?

#10 escapefjrtist

escapefjrtist

Searching for Dry Roads

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

It was also suggested,"with a doubtful look", that it (could) be the impeller and when I dump the coolant I could pull the cover and look for possible wear problems there? After a little more thought the service manager agreed it is more likely the therostat. I wonder if I risk bending or damaging the rad fins with a pressure wash? Anyone have a bad experience?

I would doubt the impeller is causing problems.

Don't use a pressure washer on the radiator. As earlier suggested, soak the radiator to soften up any debris and then gently flush from the inside. I rigged up a small right angle nozzle that fit between the headers and radiator and used medium water pressure.

--G

IBA 34365

'09 FJR

'12 Super Tenere

#11 jmgrif

jmgrif

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

It was also suggested,"with a doubtful look", that it (could) be the impeller and when I dump the coolant I could pull the cover and look for possible wear problems there? After a little more thought the service manager agreed it is more likely the therostat. I wonder if I risk bending or damaging the rad fins with a pressure wash? Anyone have a bad experience?

I would doubt the impeller is causing problems.

Don't use a pressure washer on the radiator. As earlier suggested, soak the radiator to soften up any debris and then gently flush from the inside. I rigged up a small right angle nozzle that fit between the headers and radiator and used medium water pressure.

--G

Thanks George!

#12 900gc

900gc

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Who changed the coolant? Was a 50/50 ratio used? Straight coolant is a horrible heat sink.
Thermostats are designed to fail open, allowing to much coolant to flow as the spring gets weak.
A failing t-stat usually makes the engine run cooler or takes much longer to heat up.

After the thermostat change and fin cleaning, if I wasn't concerned about freezing, I would consider running distilled water with Water Wetter. I run this in my race bike and have never over heated even on 90 deg. + days (I, on the other hand have!), and that is at WOT, 10,000 rpm lap after lap. The engine is even modified with 2mm over 13/1 comp. pistons and hotter cams all the while running the stock radiator. The bike is a '99 Suzuki SV650 and the radiator is pristine inside. You can change it out every year for about $2 to boot.
http://www.redlineoi...?pid=74&pcid=10

Edited by 900gc, 01 April 2012 - 09:41 PM.