Advice Please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peewee

Reaction score
Hi all

As you can see, brand new here, looking at a 2002 model with 80,000 miles, good or bad, anything to look out for.

All contributions appreciated.

Cheers :drinks:

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=4295 Slainte, Peewee! Our Beloved and Revered FJR Forum Administrator Ignacio has put together an impressive and inclusive Frequently Asked Gen 1 Questions at this link.

My 2003 North America FJR and your 2002 FJR World moto are the same machine. I would certainly not hesitate to buy a Gen 1 with 80K miles on it, they'll easily run over 250K miles without needing repairs. Search SkooterG here!

My illegitimate bastard Son SkooterG secured a spare Cam Chain Tensioner for my bike that I keep handy, many Gen 1's will never become a "ticker": But if it does start to go you must replace the CCT ASAP. Search RadioHowie on CCT.

If the moto is clean, apparently well taken care of and can be obtained at a reasonable price I certainly would not let the 80K mileage stop me! Better yet if it's a 1-owner bike and has been stored in a dry garage, not next to River Liffey.

Plenty of your fellow Irish on this Forum: Stanley Clan from Slane on the River Boyne; Old Michael O'Keeffe from Hogan Square in Dublin (go to Doolan's Pub, his name is carved on one of the booths!) and Michael "ShinyPartsUp" McNamara from the Gaeltacht Region.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=4295 Slainte, Peewee! Our Beloved and Revered FJR Forum Administrator Ignacio has put together an impressive and inclusive Frequently Asked Gen 1 Questions at this link.

My 2003 North America FJR and your 2002 FJR World moto are the same machine. I would certainly not hesitate to buy a Gen 1 with 80K miles on it, they'll easily run over 250K miles without needing repairs. Search SkooterG here!

My illegitimate bastard Son SkooterG secured a spare Cam Chain Tensioner for my bike that I keep handy, many Gen 1's will never become a "ticker": But if it does start to go you must replace the CCT ASAP. Search RadioHowie on CCT.

If the moto is clean, apparently well taken care of and can be obtained at a reasonable price I certainly would not let the 80K mileage stop me! Better yet if it's a 1-owner bike and has been stored in a dry garage, not next to River Liffey.

Plenty of your fellow Irish on this Forum: Stanley Clan from Slane on the River Boyne; Old Michael O'Keeffe from Hogan Square in Dublin (go to Doolan's Pub, his name is carved on one of the booths!) and Michael "ShinyPartsUp" McNamara from the Gaeltacht Region.
Damn Don! All that and you speak Spanish Too?! You are a Multi National Puto Ese!! :p

Damn Don! All that and you speak Spanish Too?! You are a Multi National Puto Grande Ese!! :p
Fixed.

Damn Don! All that and you speak Spanish Too?! You are a Multi National Puto Ese!! :p
Don just thinks he's Irish because he eats Lucky Charms for breakfast. How the Hell does anyone even know what most of that post said??

doolans.jpg

I have to speak some Craic with my Fellow Paddy Peewee! You will enjoy this story: Three years ago when my Son Seth was 12 (my real son, not my bastard SkooterG!) we returned to Ireland.

Besides visiting Slane, Waterford, Killarney, Ring of Kerry and the Galway Cathedral where our US President John Fitzgerald Kennedy took Mass, I was under instructions from Old Michael to visit Doolan's because that was his Da's (Dad's) favorite pub.

So Seth and I entered Doolan's with Irish Football on the telly and everyone having a grand time, then proceeded to ask if anyone remembered the O'Keeffe Clan from Hogan Street. Two Gentlemen in their Eighties did indeed remember Mick's Da, but here is where the story turned so very funny.

They were unaware the O'Keeffe Family had emigrated to Canada, they thought they'd moved North of the River Liffey. So, now being Dublin "Northies" they'd disowned the O'Keeffes! They were so relieved to find out the O'Keeffes were still true "Southies"!

Don just thinks he's Irish because he eats Lucky Charms for breakfast. How the Hell does anyone even know what most of that post said??
El burro sabe mas que tu y eres tan estupido como un perro! Kieta el stupido elephante, tu Joto! Comprende, ese? !Me cago en todo lo que se menea!

doolans.jpg

I have to speak some Craic with my Fellow Paddy Peewee! You will enjoy this story: Three years ago when my Son Seth was 12 (my real son, not my bastard SkooterG!) we returned to Ireland.

Besides visiting Slane, Waterford, Killarney, Ring of Kerry and the Galway Cathedral where our US President John Fitzgerald Kennedy took Mass, I was under instructions from Old Michael to visit Doolan's because that was his Da's (Dad's) favorite pub.

So Seth and I entered Doolan's with Irish Football on the telly and everyone having a grand time, then proceeded to ask if anyone remembered the O'Keeffe Clan from Hogan Street. Two Gentlemen in their Eighties did indeed remember Mick's Da, but here is where the story turned so very funny.

They were unaware the O'Keeffe Family had emigrated to Canada, they thought they'd moved North of the River Liffey. So, now being Dublin "Northies" they'd disowned the O'Keeffes! They were so relieved to find out the O'Keeffes were still true "Southies"!
Ah yes, the old northsider/southsider jokes travel to all lands I see.

Thanks for all that info, just need to take it on board and go view this machine.

A must check item on any Euro FJR is the suspension linkage. They tend not to get serviced properly by dealers and this can lead to linkage failure. Even a bike with a full dealer service book needs to be treated with suspicion unless you have proof its been done properly. Several horror stories of linkages snapping from the UK (doesn't seem to have reared its ugly head the other side of the water). Personally a ticker wouldn't worry me as its not going to kill you where as suspension failure will. One of my FJRs has been a ticker since I bought it and I've put 50,000 miles on it with no issues.

UK FJR forum has plenty on the issues but you need to be a member to view the threads

https://www.fjfjrbiker.co.uk

A must check item on any Euro FJR is the suspension linkage. They tend not to get serviced properly by dealers and this can lead to linkage failure. Even a bike with a full dealer service book needs to be treated with suspicion unless you have proof its been done properly. Several horror stories of linkages snapping from the UK (doesn't seem to have reared its ugly head the other side of the water). Personally a ticker wouldn't worry me as its not going to kill you where as suspension failure will. One of my FJRs has been a ticker since I bought it and I've put 50,000 miles on it with no issues.

UK FJR forum has plenty on the issues but you need to be a member to view the threads

https://www.fjfjrbiker.co.uk
Thanks for that FJ1188

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=48 If this bike at 80K miles has never had its rear shock replaced, you may want to figure into your buying budget the cost of a new replacement; my Miss Lucy Liu at 60+K miles is on her original shock, and she does need a new one with my fat ass riding her!

Our Lord High FJR Forum Administrator "Warchild" is probably the smartest guy alive when it comes to the mechanics of our FJR's. Here is his article!

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=48 If this bike at 80K miles has never had its rear shock replaced, you may want to figure into your buying budget the cost of a new replacement; my Miss Lucy Liu at 60+K miles is on her original shock, and she does need a new one with my fat ass riding her!

Our Lord High FJR Forum Administrator "Warchild" is probably the smartest guy alive when it comes to the mechanics of our FJR's. Here is his article!
Thanks for that bee.Thats some article. :thumbsup: