Rear rotor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratman

Reaction score
Have 75K on mine, going mic it in the morning, have new one on order. But it looks like close to only 1/16 wear. I could surface grind it flat or turn it down,

Or just replace it at $175.00. It still runs like the day i pick it up in 03.

What is leading you to the conclusion that it needs replacing? Assuming it isn't badly scored and it's above minimum thickness, I see no reason to spend the money. For the most part, the rear brake is lightly used anyway.

Regarding turning, IIRC the rotors aren't designed to be turned and should be replaced if the damage is that significant.

--G

Have 75K on mine, going mic it in the morning, have new one on order. But it looks like close to only 1/16 wear. I could surface grind it flat or turn it down,

What?? English dude!

Never? Was this a trick question of some sort?

226,000 miles on my first FJR and it still had the stock rear rotor. If you are changing yours me thinks you are doing something wrong.

You need say no more, looks fine. just a question.

To the grammar snob has been making uneducated hacks like me feel as though we should never write anything,shove it.

The US was built by 8th grade educated worker, it's being destroyed by educated ass's.

You only need to change a rotor when/if it has warped.

No need to ever replace one for being "worn," but it is more likely to warp if it is thinner.

To the grammar snob has been making uneducated hacks like me feel as though we should never write anything,shove it.

The US was built by 8th grade educated worker, it's being destroyed by educated ass's.
It wasn't a grammar snob reply, he literally did not understand your question, nor did I. WTF does "going mic it" mean, for example??? And I saw the post without noting the thread title, and had no idea what "it" was, since you don't say "rear rotor" anywhere in the post itself. So the post, standing alone, was clear as mud, thus 'zilla's reply.

"asses" I know it seems possessive, but it really isn't. Please tell us more about our country......

I think he meant "mike it", which means to use a micrometer to check the rotor. I used to work as a parts inspector and we used that term alot in the shop. But we said it as "mike it", not "mic it". I had to read the post a couple of times too.

I think he meant "mike it", which means to use a micrometer to check the rotor. I used to work as a parts inspector and we used that term alot in the shop. But we said it as "mike it", not "mic it". I had to read the post a couple of times too.
Since the word is "micrometer" (not mikrometer), and we are using slang anyway, either spelling would seem appropriate.

All I can say for sure is that I knew what he meant the first time I read it.

Since the word is "micrometer" (not mikrometer), and we are using slang anyway, either spelling would seem appropriate.

All I can say for sure is that I knew what he meant the first time I read it.
I grew up in a machine shop. I knew what he meant there too. It was the rest of the post that confused me. I have no idea why he wanted to mic his rotor in the first place...

Sorry gentlemen, the ability of correct sentence structure has past me by and I'm just a short sighted axx..

I did get my answer though, You all had to read into the question, sorry. Been reading this site for along time, met a lot of FJR's owners around the country.

Maybe i have dyslexia??

The reason for the post is my back brake lock up on me as I was going to work,I had to release it by grabbing the brake peddle and forcing it up and down.

I resumed riding to work and road home with just front brakes. Tore the rear end apart and found nothing wrong?

We can ride early in Minnesota this year, so I hate to be working on it when I could be riding.

I have HD Springer that gets a lot of polishing, not a lot of riding.

Again sorry for the snip..

Sorry gentlemen, the ability of correct sentence structure has past me by and I'm just a short sighted axx..

I did get my answer though, You all had to read into the question, sorry. Been reading this site for along time, met a lot of FJR's owners around the country.

Maybe i have dyslexia??

The reason for the post is my back brake lock up on me as I was going to work,I had to release it by grabbing the brake peddle and forcing it up and down.

I resumed riding to work and road home with just front brakes. Tore the rear end apart and found nothing wrong?

We can ride early in Minnesota this year, so I hate to be working on it when I could be riding.

I have HD Springer that gets a lot of polishing, not a lot of riding.

Again sorry for the snip..

Not to come across as harsh man..But, If you've been "reading this site for a long time" you've no doubt seen where the rear brake pedal sticks and needs cleaning and lube..

Sounds like that is the problem.

See, you should of given us the whole story to begin with!

Check your rear brake lever pivot. Those are known to need cleaning/lubing on a regular basis.

See, you should of given us the whole story to begin with!

Check your rear brake lever pivot. Those are known to need cleaning/lubing on a regular basis.
Precisely!!! ;)

This is why service writers colons go spastic!! :blink:

Last edited by a moderator: