#1 chivvalry

chivvalry

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

Australian Chris Malloy has made himself an actual hoverbike that he claims can achieve speeds of 173 mph and altitudes in excess of 10,000 feet. Sounds like every Star Wars fanís dream right?

Working hoverbike...
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.
2008 FJR1300 - 'Zoe'

#2 mferriter

mferriter

Occasionally trying to get work done

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

I might come close to believing it when he's able to control it without the tethers.

anyone could strap two gas powered fans together and make all sorts of claims. The 173 mph claim might be the terminal velocity when it's plummeting back to earth.

I don't see any directional control surfaces on this contraption. 10,000 feet straight(ish) up and down might not be very practical.

#3 Pepperell

Pepperell

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Bike: 2004 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

My first farkle would be a Russell Day Long...
Posted ImagePosted Image
1974 Honda CB200, 1979 Yamaha XS750 std, 2004 FJR1300
Si Non Oscillas, Noli Tintinnare
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

#4 chivvalry

chivvalry

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Hehe, he's certainly got a ways to go but I love what he's cooking! "Working" is obviously a bit of a stretch here.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.
2008 FJR1300 - 'Zoe'

#5 Checkswrecks

Checkswrecks

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

When life expectancy is that directly related to reliability of the motor and everything else he made at home?
<_<
Pass
Super Tenere in black
AMA, IBA

#6 CAJW

CAJW

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

When life expectancy is that directly related to reliability of the motor and everything else he made at home?
<_<
Pass

I think the next to last sentence in the write up pretty well sums it up. "Who knows, maybe you will be crashing into trees and exploding sometime in the near future after all.":o

05' Gen I, 02' DRZ400SM,04' Beta
IBR #30248
I love Deer. (Dead, preferably barbequed or jerkyfied)
VisitedStatesMap.jpg

#7 patch308

patch308

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

<_<
Pass

I think the next to last sentence in the write up pretty well sums it up. "Who knows, maybe you will be crashing into trees and exploding sometime in the near future after all.":o

In his defense, he DID call it a "hover bike"...NOT a "land safely back at home after flying around on a contraption bike"...As long as it achieves the "hovering" his claim is legit. The landing part is ENTIRELY up to you.
Posted Image Yes, it took me THIS long to figure out how to make the SW-FOG thingy part of my signature line...FML.
2007 BMW R1200 GS Adventure...deal with it