Final questions on using a PCV on an 07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ULEWZ

Reaction score
I am finally tired with the low rpm throttle snatch and want to try the Uselesspickles calculated smoothness map for a Gen II, but I want to use it with the PCV 09/10 version.

Questions:

1. I know the PCV 09/10 version (non modified) will hookup directly up to an 07 bike like I have, but do I need to do anything special to make it work?

2. How do I port the Uselesspickles calculated smoothness map from the PCIII to the PCV?

3. Is there a smoothness map already modified for use on a PCV?

4. What do you get for the extra $50 if you buy a modified PCV from Fuelmoto?

Thanks, I am ready to pull the trigger as soon as I get these questions answered.

I am finally tired with the low rpm throttle snatch and want to try the Uselesspickles calculated smoothness map for a Gen II, but I want to use it with the PCV 09/10 version.

Questions:

1. I know the PCV 09/10 version (non modified) will hookup directly up to an 07 bike like I have, but do I need to do anything special to make it work?

2. How do I port the Uselesspickles calculated smoothness map from the PCIII to the PCV?

3. Is there a smoothness map already modified for use on a PCV?

4. What do you get for the extra $50 if you buy a modified PCV from Fuelmoto?

Thanks, I am ready to pull the trigger as soon as I get these questions answered.

When I had the PCV in my bike, I installed the PC software on my laptop. found the uselesspickles map via google, and opened it in the PC software. If you open the default map for a stock FJR from PC, you'll see its got more fields but they are similar. I copy and pasted the pickles map into a PCV map and saved it (they are like excel files) . I tried both on the 09 and was hard pressed to feel the difference. I think my mileage suffered as compared to a stock bike because the smoothness maps enrich fuel delivery at low % throttle (where I spend a lot of time while commuting on back roads. I also think the map as presented by useless is a little lean for my 09 at high percent throttle open. After having removed the PCV, I certainly see the throttle is less smooth but keeping zero slack in the throttle cable helps me. My buddy's 07 is clearly much harder to keep smooth than the 09 at low throttle.

You can bring your laptop into the garage and do the loading next to the bike. You can also install TWO maps with a simple toggle (on off) switch attached so you can swap back and forth between stock and modified to gauge what's what. I really doubt the $50 map is any better than the PCV map for the FJR or Pickles work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I found that you can import the PCIII map into the PCV software and it will split the difference for the new column. It has 10 columns vs 9 for the PCIII. I also found a PCV for $279.95 shipped from Indy Superbikes.

Any comments on buying the PCV for my 07, importing the smoothness map for a 2nd gen from PCIII software into the PCV software, and loading it into the PCV?

I've got a PC3 and it was the best improvement I tried for the snatchy throttle. Not perfect, but good enough to keep the bike.

However ... it is my understanding that the PCV will self-correct, i.e. whereas the PC3 requires disconnecting the O2 sensor and then it reads from the loaded map according to RPM and throttle position, the PCV has a wide-range O2 sensor which it reads and will also compensate for what it finds in the exhaust, for presumeably a perfect mixture regardless of map loaded.

So ... is there a point to loading a map into the PCV? Or am I misunderstanding something?

The 07 I have just wasn't right ( Shame on Yamaha!).

I did two things, put the G-2 throtle tube on and the PC III (stock map). It is not perfect but I at least can predict it! The 07 FJR as far as I'm concerned is the worst of all of them (1's and 2's) from what I read. Now that I have done these mods I don't feel the need to ride by my self as I don't feel the bike is going to throw me off!

I've got a PC3 and it was the best improvement I tried for the snatchy throttle. Not perfect, but good enough to keep the bike.

However ... it is my understanding that the PCV will self-correct, i.e. whereas the PC3 requires disconnecting the O2 sensor and then it reads from the loaded map according to RPM and throttle position, the PCV has a wide-range O2 sensor which it reads and will also compensate for what it finds in the exhaust, for presumeably a perfect mixture regardless of map loaded.

So ... is there a point to loading a map into the PCV? Or am I misunderstanding something?
From what I read, you still need to buy the additional autotune for another $250 to do that, otherwise it is similar to the PCIII with some added features. I just want to lose the snatch.

Last edited by a moderator:
A PC5 runs real good on both the 06 and 07.

If you don't have the AutoTune, disconnect the 02 sensor as usual.

If you buy the Autotune, you can set the A:F ratios you want, real easy.

If you want, I can send my fuel table to you.

I run with a K&N filter, not that makes much difference, and Muzzy cans.

Mind you the fuel may be a bit different here compared to the USA.

I have been running the PCV with auto tune on my '08 for a while now. The PCV does not come with the auto tune kit. That must be purchased separately.

It works great, and is great for adjusting for different blends of fuel used here depending what season it is. In the summer when it is 110F outside things change and its easy to correct the map. Personally I would spend the extra and get the auto tune add on. Its also helpful if you make changes like exhaust or airbox mods. in the future.

I have been running the PCV with auto tune on my '08 for a while now. The PCV does not come with the auto tune kit. That must be purchased separately.

It works great, and is great for adjusting for different blends of fuel used here depending what season it is. In the summer when it is 110F outside things change and its easy to correct the map. Personally I would spend the extra and get the auto tune add on. Its also helpful if you make changes like exhaust or airbox mods. in the future.
I just started using the Auto Tune. Be aware that they recommend capping the PAIR system. I had all ready done that, but they say to get it right, is must be disabled.

From what I read, you still need to buy the additional autotune for another $250 to do that, otherwise it is similar to the PCIII with some added features. I just want to lose the snatch.
Ahhh... as others have pointed out, the Auto-tune add-on is required to avoid loading maps. I get it.

I have run the PC3 with both the zero, stock, wally's smoothness and uselesspickle's map. Between all the maps, I'd be hard-pressed to tell a difference, the main thing is that simply running any decent map in the PC3 helped minimize the lurch enough that I decided to keep the bike. That and the throttle spring unwind. As for the G2 ... meh, I can take it or leave it. I'd sell it on ebay if I could get it off without risking the Sunline grips I have on there.