Louder horn -- a short story

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogdeb

Scouser
Reaction score
Dear Gen 2 owner,

I remember you saying your PIAA Sport Slimline install was a 15 minute job .......... on a Gen2 I guess :rolleyes:

Did mine yesterday and besides the fact I only had 1 good eye working (ha, ha, depth perception is a wonderful thing, when it works) :( , I was about an hour ..... the following after much trial and error ------------

1. Had to dremel out the inside of the fairing and remove a 1" x 1" piece

2. Reorientation of the new horn with its own back plate/tab then drill new "catch hole"

3. Add 2 washers under bolt as new back plate/tab was only 1/2 as thick as EOM plate/tab

Aaaaggghhh !! I had to do #2 because the horn wiring was too short to reach the new horn tabs in their original position.

DONE ----- horn sounds great . That's my story for the day :D :)

Roger and out.

Last edited by a moderator:
...DONE ----- horn sounds great .
Sounds like you blew it, Roger.

biggrin.gif

Congrats on finally being able to TOOT your own horn, Roger! :lol:

BTW, Highlander just has Mrs. Highlander SCREAM at cars too close..

I've seen it, and it works GREAT! ;)

My gawd, T, evidently you've never spent a night in their house!

All I can say is EARPLUGS, baaaby! :lol:

Ya I had to extend the wiring a bit too, but no dremeling. Dunno why. One of the big tabs covering the front of one of the horns broke off at some point, but I am still pretty horny.

Installed 2 slimline horns on mine last weekend ('07); no mods were necessary. Used the same button head bolts that held the OEM horns and the stock wiring and connectors worked fine. Horns were a close fit, but cleared everything O.K. I did have to remove the inner plastic panels to give my oversize paws room to work; that's the only thing that kept it from being a reasonably quick job, YMMV.

Installed 2 slimline horns on mine last weekend ('07); no mods were necessary. Used the same button head bolts that held the OEM horns and the stock wiring and connectors worked fine. Horns were a close fit, but cleared everything O.K. I did have to remove the inner plastic panels to give my oversize paws room to work; that's the only thing that kept it from being a reasonably quick job, YMMV.
Yup...same here. Pretty easy. Dremmeling is exactly what I wanted to avoid.

Eric, Lone and HotRod all on Gen 2's though ---- so is it the Gen 1 that's the difference? I've heard of others having to dremel, which is no big deal anyway.

No dremeling here. But I only installed one slimline horn on my 1st gen.

Maybe it's the non slimline horns that require the dremeling?