Need help!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Got into a shop today and the front tire was out if balance. don't know why it started having problems after 1000 miles, but they balanced it and it rides great again. Thanks again.

Josh

Glad you got it worked out. I am assuming you threw a weight. Even so, interesting that an out of balance tire could cause such a severe issue.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Got into a shop today and the front tire was out if balance. don't know why it started having problems after 1000 miles, but they balanced it and it rides great again. Thanks again.

Josh
One more reason to use Dyna Beads for a "glass smooth ride"

... Got into a shop today and the front tire was out if balance. don't know why it started having problems after 1000 miles, but they balanced it and it rides great again...

Thanks for sharing your results.... I have noticed over the last couple of years that the Sticky Back on the Lead Weights (poorer quality) have been flying off the wheels.

Don't be surprised if this does not happen again... and please keep your speed down under a 100 mph.

It is amazing how a simple troubleshooting thread can take off like this with limited information. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and I have now added 4 or 5 things to check myself if I experience similar symptoms while I am riding. Another reason why I enjoy spending time reading this forum...THANKS ALL!

It is amazing how a simple troubleshooting thread can take off like this with limited information. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and I have now added 4 or 5 things to check myself if I experience similar symptoms while I am riding. Another reason why I enjoy spending time reading this forum...THANKS ALL!
Yep! This place is Awesome! :D

Update...

The shop I took it to and I were both wrong. My front tire may have been out of balance, but it became very apparent on my way back to Charleston today that it wasn't what was causing my issue. I am now about 90% sure that Bustanut joker and RaYzerman19 were right. I believe that it is a problem with my rear shock. It road okay for a little while, but then started again. It didn't take me long to realize that I felt every bump and my rear shock was no longer doing its job. I stopped at a rest stop and adjusted my rear suspension and even with everything set to the stiffest settings there is no difference. I can stand behind the bike and bounse it up and down like a 400lb guy just sit on the passenger seat. Now I have to act quick and find a new rear shock cause I have to ride back to Michigan in 18 days. I haven't even priced them yet, but I'm hoping I can get one cheap cause this couldn't have happened at a worse time money wise. If anyone has a rear shock sitting around for an 04 that they want to sell let me know asap. I still can't believe it is the shock. The bike only has 10,000 miles on it. As a matter of fact I just rolled over 10000 today!

Wow! Thank God you found this out the good way instead of the Bad! A new shock is much more doable without a Hospital Visit involved. Good Luck! :)

Update...

The shop I took it to and I were both wrong. My front tire may have been out of balance, but it became very apparent on my way back to Charleston today that it wasn't what was causing my issue. I am now about 90% sure that Bustanut joker and RaYzerman19 were right. I believe that it is a problem with my rear shock. It road okay for a little while, but then started again. It didn't take me long to realize that I felt every bump and my rear shock was no longer doing its job. I stopped at a rest stop and adjusted my rear suspension and even with everything set to the stiffest settings there is no difference. I can stand behind the bike and bounse it up and down like a 400lb guy just sit on the passenger seat. Now I have to act quick and find a new rear shock cause I have to ride back to Michigan in 18 days. I haven't even priced them yet, but I'm hoping I can get one cheap cause this couldn't have happened at a worse time money wise. If anyone has a rear shock sitting around for an 04 that they want to sell let me know asap. I still can't believe it is the shock. The bike only has 10,000 miles on it. As a matter of fact I just rolled over 10000 today!
Will this Gen 2 work?

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=144568

A few years back I had a front Avon Storm tire that was out of round that would shake the front end. I thought it was out of balance and took it back to the place of purchase. The tire guy raised the front end and examined the tire then spun it and you could actually see the rise and fall of the tire, manufactured out of round. They replaced it, no charge. I use Michelins now.

That GenII shock should just work just fine. Hell, for $50, you almost can't beat it, unless someone sends him a free one. I wonder what makes a shock take a crap at 10k.

Did you check the Rear Tire Pressure?

When the Tire Pressure is low in the Rear, it affects the Front Feel/Handling bigtime... that's what happened to me to my surprise...
Glad you are OK and found your problem... so if you think your Front feels funny, Check the Workings on the Rear... but not Visa Versa... strange Phenomenon.

you can have my old shock if you want it, But i wont be home until the weekend. Send me a message is your interested.

you can have my old shock if you want it, But i wont be home until the weekend. Send me a message is your interested.
Thank you for the offer, but I had one mailed out to me today thanks to no1passesme. Hopefully it will be here by this weekend and I can get it installed over the weekend.

Thank you for the offer, but I had one mailed out to me today thanks to no1passesme. Hopefully it will be here by this weekend and I can get it installed over the weekend.
Cool Beans! You'll be back in the Saddle Again Soon. :clapping:

One more reason to use Dyna Beads for a "glass smooth ride"
snakeoil.jpg