#1 sportsguy

sportsguy

searchgeek - author

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  • Bike: 2009 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

Looks like I'll be in Charlotte in July. So, I'm thinking of adding a few days after work, maybe renting a motorcycle in Charlotte and heading down/over to Deal's Gap to ride the Dragon.

So, I'm here for a reality check.

Is four days enough time to pick up a bike in Charlotte, head over to the Dragon, grab a hotel for the night, ride the road, then get back to Charlotte? Admittedly I haven't checked the actual distances yet, but I'm interested in starting with the broad strokes on this plan.

I'm not interested blitzing the road, and I'd like to take my time getting to there and back.

Timing will be during the week of July 23rd. Definitely bringing the airflow jacket...LOL

Appreciate any input gang. :)

I'm sorry, but I actually ride a Super Tenere now... ;)

#2 ricks.06

ricks.06

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:39 AM

Looks like I'll be in Charlotte in July. So, I'm thinking of adding a few days after work, maybe renting a motorcycle in Charlotte and heading down/over to Deal's Gap to ride the Dragon.

So, I'm here for a reality check.

Is four days enough time to pick up a bike in Charlotte, head over to the Dragon, grab a hotel for the night, ride the road, then get back to Charlotte? Admittedly I haven't checked the actual distances yet, but I'm interested in starting with the broad strokes on this plan.

I'm not interested blitzing the road, and I'd like to take my time getting to there and back.

Timing will be during the week of July 23rd. Definitely bringing the airflow jacket...LOL

Appreciate any input gang. :)

It'll take you about 3.5 hours to get from Charlotte to Deals Gap (Dragon), so 4 days is plenty of time. There are tons of other great roads to ride in that area. If you have 4 days, you'll be able to ride plenty of them.

Have a great time!

#3 sportsguy

sportsguy

searchgeek - author

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

Thanks Ricks. :)

#4 jet mechanic

jet mechanic

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Ricks is right on at three and a half. Maybe an extra half hour for summer time traffic and any Harleys in the way.

#5 sportsguy

sportsguy

searchgeek - author

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Ricks is right on at three and a half. Maybe an extra half hour for summer time traffic and any Harleys in the way.

I promise...I shan't be on one... :D

#6 rbentnail

rbentnail

Economic Plankton

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

http://www.twowheelinn.com/

I have a .gpx route for Garmin thru Charlotte to Robbinsville near Deal's Gap. It includes a little interstate to get out of the city then a nice leisurely ride. Send a PM if interested.
I think sometimes folks are just a little too anal about oils & filters & coolant & specs & spark plugs & torque & batteries & tires & brakes & shift levers & light bulbs & CCTs & cleanliness & splines & stuff.

Russ- Darksider #64