Tire changing tip/technique..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puppychow

RAWR
Reaction score
Al (feeger) and I have been using this trick for the past 4 tire changes (his and mine combined). We use the tire warmers both on the new tire to be mounted and the old tire to be unmounted, we take the air out of the old tire first before putting the tire warmers on. Makes the old tire slip off the rim easy and we can almost mount the new tire on the rim by using just our hands and no tools...almost..

We haven't noted any ill effects the last 4 tire sets. No effect on tire mileage or performance. Just a whole lot less (non-existent) swearing and struggling while changing tires!

Picture shown below is of the old rear tire being warmed up to be dismounted from the rim. The new front tire is in the other tire warmer being warmed to be mounted on the rim.

photobucket-601-1333205671824.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The tires get really warm with the tire warmers. They slip out of and on to the rims like butter. Putting them out to be heated by the sun would not have nearly the same effect, although it does help. Moreover, with the tire warmers we can change tires anytime of the day or night.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Not everyone has tire warmers, but I know a lot of the folks around here have heated jackets. Lay one of those over the tire next time to see if it has the same effect. :unsure:

Just imagine, stranded on the side of the road, you could remove a blown tire off the rim and do a patch with minimal tools and your heated jacket. ;)

Good idea puppychow. I've been using the sun trick since I began changing tires...although sun in these parts is a tight commodity. ;)

--G

Good idea puppychow. I've been using the sun trick since I began changing tires...although sun in these parts is a tight commodity. ;)

--G
Ain't that true!

On that note, I need to go strap a new front PR2 to the rear rack of my FJR. Running it down to Bryan's for an install this afternoon. Sadly, there will be no sun to help warm the tire.

We let the tires heat up till the light on the warmers turns green. Takes a few minutes, we try not to waste any time once they are hot and out of the warmers. We have found that the longer we (I) screw around wasting time while the tires are getting cold, the more muscle it takes on the tire changer.

Keep an eye out on Fleabay for a good deal maybe.

I have tire warmers, but find the sun does a better job heating the tire through out. Warmers heat the surface. Agree that the warmers are great on a cloudy day. Put your tires in a trash bag and then in the sun. Can get the tires so hot that I have to use gloves to handle them. Heat makes all the difference in mounting.

Yes, for the rest of us folks not living in the desert heat of NM and AZ pretty much all year around - Tire warmers work great. Also, now I don't have to wait till the weekend to change tires in the DAY. I can do them week nights after getting home from work.

Torpedo heater works good too to heat the tires up. While the garage is heating up, so are the tires.

Doesn't take long either.