Discovery Pass two vehicle law signed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have two cars a truck and two motor cycles. Still very limiting as far as I'm concerned.

I still don't understand what these passes are giving me. Why would I need one of these? Can any of you explain this to me? I mean, do I have to get off my motorcycle to use one of these passes? And if that is the case, what good are they?

DNR, Parks Dept, US Forest Service, BLM, and National Park Service, Keepinmg the public off the public lands for 100 years

FWFE

I still don't understand what these passes are giving me. Why would I need one of these? Can any of you explain this to me? I mean, do I have to get off my motorcycle to use one of these passes? And if that is the case, what good are they?

https://www.discoverpass.wa.gov/

You can be ticketed for being on roads in these areas without a pass.
State lands "including campgrounds, parks, wildlife areas, trails, natural areas, wilderness areas and water-access points." At State Parks you don't need the pass if you purchase a campsite.
smile.gif

What roads? Are any of these roads special and worth a pass to ride them?
huh.gif

Still don't see a need for this new angle by the legislature to TAX us in a new way. Something that was taken care of by Sales Taxes for 99 years. Now because they can't seem to balance the budget, they cum up with new ways to tax people.
angry.gif

Truely, I'm only worried about pulling off on Hwy 14 at Beacon Rock to use the restrooms and getting a ticket.
huh.gif

State lands "including campgrounds, parks, wildlife areas, trails, natural areas, wilderness areas and water-access points." At State Parks you don't need the pass if you purchase a campsite.
smile.gif

huh.gif
On an FJR...probably not so much. You can certainly ride and not use any of those roads for days on end...if you choose not to. You can burn up highways for days on end without going into a recreation area.

Riding an XR650R up the spine of Washington and you want to stop and spend time at those areas like here....then yes absolutely worth a pass for the myriad of roads maintained.

As for priorities beyond the FJR or motorcycles...that would be politics, beyond this forum, and should be taken elsewhere for discussion. This forum is about FJRs first and foremost. :)

https://www.discoverpass.wa.gov/

You can be ticketed for being on roads in these areas without a pass.
smile.gif

huh.gif

Still don't see a need for this new angle by the legislature to TAX us in a new way. Something that was taken care of by Sales Taxes for 99 years. Now because they can't seem to balance the budget, they cum up with new ways to tax people.
angry.gif

Truely, I'm only worried about pulling off on Hwy 14 at Beacon Rock to use the restrooms and getting a ticket.
huh.gif

Q. If I am driving through state recreation lands, will I need to buy a pass?

A. Yes. Unless you are exempt from pass requirements, the pass is required anytime your vehicle is on state recreation lands managed by WDFW, DNR or State Parks. The pass is not required on roads managed by other jurisdictions, such as state highways or county roads that may pass through recreation lands.

Q. If I am gathering mushrooms, berries or firewood for my personal use or doing other dispersed recreation activities such as geocaching, driving forest roads, bird watching, etc., do I still need to purchase an access pass?

A. Yes. All street-licensed vehicles will need a Discover Pass to access state recreation lands managed by the agencies.

We have cards down here that can be transferred between vehicles. Sometimes the rangers will do an ID check to compare the card with the driver or passenger depending on who owns the card.

Doesn't make sense that this would be tied to one vehicle.

If ya have an RV and tow another vehicle behind you then what?

We spoke to Katie, a ranger at the station on the west side of rt 20 pass. When we mentioned that the pass was a paper one and we could lose it posting it on the bike where it could be seen. She said come to her ranger station and see her. She has a sticker we could put on the bike.

If you happen to see her and get one tell her the boys at the front of the line sent you.

We were the first ones through the gate when they opened the pass this year.