Another first time rider's impression (and is this a good deal?)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too much. That bike should be in the $8,000-$8,500 range imho for a 'good' deal. Valve check on an FJR is due at 27,000 miles. So you need to find out if it has been done. If done right, and/or some valves need re-shimming, it can be an expensive maintenance evolution. My dealer who does it right charges $650 to perform the valve check.

Good luck.
Hey Skooter, what dealer do you go to, Casa Grande?
Yup! Nobody else touches my FJR. I've learned that the hard way.

I passed on the 6,000 miler and picked up a pristine 4,700 miler with 2 years of YES warranty left for $8,500 instead......

It's a good dealer. It's the local Harley dealer that Also sells BMWs under a separate name. They are planing on moving their BMW "dealership" into another part of town, (the old Harley building) they are also hoping to expand into triumphs, and KTMs, and other non Japanese brands.
Hey there, I missed this thread earlier. Just realized you're in the Springs (at least part time....btw, thanks for your service!). I've heard less than stellar reports about that dealer, but regardless, I haven't been following the FJR market around here, but I'm intimately familiar with the Gen 2s, and would be happy to take a look at one if/when you find another one and give you my opinion. I don't know what they have in inventory right now, but Fremont motorsports down in Penrose has had some pretty good prices in the past.

Also, consider joining us in Salida, CO for SW-FOG 2012! More info here: https://www.sw-fog.com

-Scott

Good luck on your quest for an FJR, you won't regret it. Deals like 150Fuelie got are rare but they are out there, especially if you are willing to travel. The bike I bought before my FJR (BMW K1100LT) was located in Portland so I flew out from Tulsa and rode it home. We agreed on a price via email so I took a cashiers check for 80% and the rest in cash just in case there was something that didn't check out. It was exactly as represented so I paid the price. Riding it home was a great bonding experience with the bike.

OBD