Side Case Install Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nervous

Reaction score
Quick question, is it normal for there to be a significant resistance and eventual 'snap' in the last 1/3 rd or so of the side case handle travel when installing the cases? It seems as if it could be damaging to the mechanism on both install and removal but if you tell me it's all good I'll move on.

Quick question, is it normal for there to be a significant resistance and eventual 'snap' in the last 1/3 rd or so of the side case handle travel when installing the cases? It seems as if it could be damaging to the mechanism on both install and removal but if you tell me it's all good I'll move on.
The most important thing is to make sure the case is lined up correctly in the upper slots and the lower tangs are also properly seated on the rubber mount. If all is well on those 3 points you will feel a snap as you described which is a caming action of the lock mechanism. Good luck, Bill

Make sure you have the lower rubber mount inserted correctly into the fins on the bag. First time I tried to mount my bags I was running into the same thing you are and my father in law pointed out the lower parts needing lined up that I'd ignored. When you are mounting the bag they are obstructed from your view and easy to not notice if you aren't used to doing it. After a few tries they were going on and off super easy.

On my 05 with 50k on it, I've recently noticed a similar problem. Like the mechinism is hanging up. It'll go just be careful. And if you figure it out let us know..

You might consider this MOD as well. Riding year round had it's challenges relating to your issue. Mine was grit and sand finding it's way into the moving parts. This solved it nicely.

Keep Going!

You might consider this MOD as well. Riding year round had it's challenges relating to your issue. Mine was grit and sand finding it's way into the moving parts. This solved it nicely.

Keep Going!
+1 on this mod! I had one case that was almost jammed. Got it cleaned out and working well, but didn't want it to happen again. Since using this mod, I haven't had the problem reoccur.