JMCB 2003 installed...but how do we talk...?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
Might seem like a simple question, but its not covered in the owners manual...LOL

Got the gear mounted on the bike yesterday, with HUGE thanks to Hudson for his help, space, tools, time, tape, zipties and hospitality. :D

Loads of time into trying to figure out where to do final mounting for the headset cords, which remain "loose" right now pending our final fitting session here at home.

Took a few hours today to mount the speakers and microphones in the helmets. Not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't to have to go get a set of exacto knives and start cutting into our helmets...LOL Once I had the items for each helmet outlined, the cutting was pretty simple. The pieces fit right the first time and remain secure. Love how flush the microphones are now - very different than the ScalaRider G4 units that filled the open space between your lips and the inside of the helmet. Not that I had a problem with the ScalaRider units, but there is a noticable difference in space used.

The speakers sound great, and even though I was just idling in the garage, the volume was easily enough to completely block any sound of the idling bike from reaching my ears...and there was still lots of room left to increase the volume even more. You can immediatly hear the difference between these speakers and the ScalaRider G4 speakers - which SHOULD happen given how much larger and thicker the J&M units are - much harder to mount, but there's always a tradeoff, isn't there...

Which now brings me to my question...

How the heck to we talk to each other on the bike? I've read the manual, checked the website and nada. Is it as simple as simply speaking and it overides any input from the aux input or the CB, and the passenger hears me. The same from the passenger's end, where they simply speak and overide the audio inputs to be heard by the rider?

Or...is that what the passenger CB transmit button is for? Methinks I may have this mounted in the wrong spot on the handlbar, and maybe THAT needs to go to the back of the bike to allow the passenger to speak by pressing and holding the button...hmmm...

I might have some tinkering to do at the Tech Day in a couple weeks...

Any input from JMCB users would be most appreciated.

I donno how to use it, but make sure you say "breaker breaker one-nine" a lot. Also don't forget to always end every sentence with "over." As in, "What the fuck was that? Over, or, "I was so busy talking to you, I didn't even notice that red light. Over." Of course, dont forget to say "10-4 good buddy" to everyone, even your wife, before signing off. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I donno how to use it, but make sure you say "breaker breaker one-nine" a lot. Also don't forget to always end every sentence with "over." As in, "What the fuck was that? Over, or, "I was so busy talking to you, I didn't even notice that red light. Over." Of course, dont forget to say "10-4 good buddy" to everyone, even your wife, before signing off. :lol:

See, now I KNOW you're just kidding around,...BUT...

I've been trying to recall the segment from the Austin Powers movie where they're talking all "redneck trucker" on the CBs... you know, just so I have something pithy to say over the air... :yahoo:

answer: in short it depends.

There are three volume controls on the J&M.

The first is the on/off and CB volume control. It is the outer half (left most half) of the hoizontal switch on the left.

The second: Pull the outer half of the left most switch to the left. Now you can adjust teh volume between the rider and the pillion. That is all it controls is the volume between you two. Once set push it back in.

The inner half of the same switch is to adjust the squelch on the CB. This should be turned so the static stops on the CB.

The last volume to adjust is the flat one on top. This adjsuts the volume of all incoming auxilary equipment (except the radar detector). I recommend that you turn the volume of your GPS and aux music (ipod) at 75% or higher on their individual volume settings. You will wnat to adjust them so their outputs are relatively equal as input to the J&B. Then use the flat knob to control their input volumes. The radar detector should have a reostat in line on the cable that plugs into the detector that you adjust. (at least the V1 cable is that way)

The CB and radar detector only play in the right ear. Everything else plays in both ears. The mics are always hot, so all you have to do is to start talking to be heard by each other. If you installed a push to talk button, then she will need to push it to talk over the CB. Other wise all she needs to do is talk to be heard by you.

If you installed a Mic Mutes - then when you start the bike and the system first starts up, then the mics ate hot. You momentarily hit teh CB button (the curved handle) to turn off the mics. The you hit it a gain to talk or she can tap her push to talk switch to talk. If you use a mic mutes, it cuts the noise cancelling circuits and you will end up adjusting the volumes down as you do not need them as loud to hear clearly.

We can adjust it at the tech meet.

Don't have the JMCB unit but... most systems work like this: intercom is always active between rider and passenger. The PTT button is only for transmitting over the air on the CB. The passenger button is for he/she/it/them to transmit over the air on the CB. YMMV.

Thanks for the feedback guys...and the great info Auburn. :)

Definiely some fiddling to do when I hit the tech day. Gotta relo that switch from my handlebar to the rear of the bike at the very least.

Thanks for the feedback guys...and the great info Auburn. :)

Definiely some fiddling to do when I hit the tech day. Gotta relo that switch from my handlebar to the rear of the bike at the very least.

FYI - There are two places to plug int the PTT switch. One is for the passenger to operate teh CB, the second is for the driver to operate the FRS if you have that control module. I do, so I have a PTT switch up front. If you have it plugged into teh wrong one, then she will not be able to operate the CB.

Ah, yes, I recall you mentioning that when I was down looking at your bike, Auburn.

OK, any idea where I can get a control module? Just checked the J&M site and their search didn't turn up anything. I'd rather use the switch for that option. ;)

...wait, is that the Integratr...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what you're looking for if you want add on an FRS Radio, GPS, or anything in addition to the Aux In.

https://jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=CFRG-D-CA04

Then you have to buy the appropriate harness. Definitely not cheap, but picking up a used one is not likely either. If I had another $1000 to spend, I'd hook up this with the Zumo 550 and an FRS. But that would double what I spend on the setup in the first place.

Ah, yes, I recall you mentioning that when I was down looking at your bike, Auburn.

OK, any idea where I can get a control module? Just checked the J&M site and their search didn't turn up anything. I'd rather use the switch for that option. ;)

...wait, is that the Integratr...?

let's check it out at the tech meet.

Here's what you're looking for if you want add on an FRS Radio, GPS, or anything in addition to the Aux In.

https://jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=CFRG-D-CA04

Then you have to buy the appropriate harness. Definitely not cheap, but picking up a used one is not likely either. If I had another $1000 to spend, I'd hook up this with the Zumo 550 and an FRS. But that would double what I spend on the setup in the first place.
Here is another option I found which is considerably cheaper than the J&M harness. It is a mixer that sells for $159.00. I run my XM Roady, Garmin 550, and Valentine One thru it and then to the Aux input on my JM2003 CB unit with excellant results. It has three inputs plus a priority input and one output. You do need the Remote control for the V-One but you need that with either unit.

Motorcycle Audio Mixer

Here is another option I found which is considerably cheaper than the J&M harness. It is a mixer that sells for $159.00. I run my XM Roady, Garmin 550, and Valentine One thru it and then to the Aux input on my JM2003 CB unit with excellant results. It has three inputs plus a priority input and one output. You do need the Remote control for the V-One but you need that with either unit.

Motorcycle Audio Mixer
Yeah, if you don't need the microphone for any of your axillary products, that is the way to go.

With the J&M cable for the V1 you don't need the remote V1 adaptor from V1. The J&M provides power and sound via the J&M cable.

I'm wanting to upgrade to the J&M to get the CB radio range, and improve the sound fidelity. But poking around, damn if you need a roadmap to determine how many cables/adapters etc. Here's what I am trying to hook up:

Two headsets (for me and passenger) for a closed helmet hookup.

Garmin Montana GPS (has an audio out jack)

IPOD

Valentine radar (I have the remote adaptor from V1)

Midland FRS radio (mic and audio)

Can I bypass that gawdawfullyexpensive J&M all in one harness, and just go with the base unit, the Mix It, and perhaps a J&M adaptor for the FRS radio?

for mixing my J&M as output, and my Zumo, Mp3/Ipod, and radar detector 3 into 1, I use an "AmpliRider" and love it.

now, there is no override between the 3...they all sound at the same time

the J&M CB radio part takes presidence over those 3. I'm guessing now it's about $75

https://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html

ar1.jpg

I've been trying to recall the segment from the Austin Powers movie where they're talking all "redneck trucker" on the CBs... you know, just so I have something pithy to say over the air...
yahoo.gif
This should help with your proper use of CB lingo....