EOM '12 from New England

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
We are planning on taking a few days to get down to, and back from, EOM from up here in the hinterlands, this coming September.

Our current plan is to depart from southern NH on Tuesday the 18th and, assuming reasonably good weather, to take 3 days to get there. We'll be riding west initially, to steer wide of the I-95 corridor congestion and take in some of the Berkshires and Catskills before skooting through western PA and into West Virginia to hit the always magnificent US Rt 219, then more backroads bliss down to Hendersonville arriving Thursday late afternoon/evening. In the event of rain we can just slab it down I-81 in two days and spend an extra day down in North Carolina.

We're planning similar itinerary for the way back, departing on Sunday AM and either slabbing it home in 2-days if there's rain, or taking 3 pleasant days on the 2-lanes if the weather holds out.

I'll be two up (TMJ and me) and MEM says she'll most likely be coming along with us for the ride on her way past from up in Canuckistan. Any other folks in the area who are planning on attending and can work with that rough schedule, who'd like to join us, just let me know. We'll have us a little NERDS caravan to EOM!

PS - I'll share the proposed GPS routes after I get them all hammered out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred,

My plan is to spend Wednesday night in Wytheville Va & take the BRP down to Asheville/Henderson on Thursday...If your gonna be in the area...maybe we could meet up Wednesday evening for dinner/drinks/cigars or Thursday morning for the ride down.

Joe

Hey Joe,

You know, after I pressed "Add new topic" I thought to myself that maybe I should save Rte 219 for the ride home, and try and use the BRP during the weekdays on the way down. So hooking up with you for the Thursday approach may be an even better idea than my initial one. We'll have to stay in touch as the time approaches. :thumbsup:

Fred, thatks for the offer. I plan to be in Wisconsin the weekend before EOM, so I'll be riding down from there, but I may join you for the ride back home.

You do know that 219 is PAVED all the way through West Virginia, right? :lol:

Fred, thatks for the offer. I plan to be in Wisconsin the weekend before EOM, so I'll be riding down from there, but I may join you for the ride back home.

You do know that 219 is PAVED all the way through West Virginia, right? :lol:
:lol: Yeah, 219 is paved, but there are lots of little side roads that aren't!! :devil:

It'd be cool to have a few members of the 2011 CFR Dual Sport FJR team along for the ride home.

:p

While we won't be making it to EOM, we will be down that way in June for our annual trip with a couple of friends.

Route 219 in WV is always a must. We usually pick it up off route 50 across the northern part of the state, which is another good one. And our favorite 219/BRP "connector" road--route 311 between Roanoke VA and route 64 just east of Lewisburg WV. Since we discovered it, we often skip the northern stretch of the BRP in favor of 219, and use 311 to get us between the two.

If we stumble onto any other goodies in June, I'll pass them along.

Gina

The heavens have parted and it looks like my early vacation request may have paid off ! Was told by the person who does the scheduling that I should be getting the time! Woo hoo! I feel confident enough to say I'm in! Most likely will have to slab home though.

Hi Fred,

My son and I will most likely tag along in at least one direction. Not sure yet about my nephew or Chris (the Axeman).

Cool. Looks like we've got us a convoy! (but no need for all the rubber ducky talk :p )

I'll start working on some routing using the new idea of hitting (at least some of) the BRP on the way down. It sounds like Gina's path may be a winner.

311 is definitely a keeper! there is a decent restaurant in Paint Bank, VA on 311. At that intersection you can go just a short way out rt 600 and check out the Bison herd. Good photo op. I have taken the exact route Gina mentions. After coming down 219 too. Not real sure on my EOM plans.

I believe you are referring to The Swinging Bridge restaurant in Paint Bank..... A most excellent stop! A BIG thank you to Jim (Spaklbuk) for making the suggestion to go there!

Count me in as my trip to NAFO is not going to happen this year. Work does suck. Not sure of the ride back may stop in VA to see some friends before I Scoot home. As you know weather will make a difference. Like NAFO 2010 in the rain.

Count me in as my trip to NAFO is not going to happen this year. Work does suck. Not sure of the ride back may stop in VA to see some friends before I Scoot home. As you know weather will make a difference. Like NAFO 2010 in the rain.
Sory to hear that you can't make NAFO Dean. I will be heading to NAFO, but EOM is still up in the air. If I don't make EOM then I will probably be riding somewhere in this area. If that happens let me know when you would be coming back through and I could show you some of my favorite VA and WV roads.

*BUMP*

You all still planning on meeting in Wytheville Va on Wednesday night? If so, what lodging are you planning on using and do you mind if a blind squirrel attaches to the group for the ride down on Thursday?

*BUMP*

You all still planning on meeting in Wytheville Va on Wednesday night? If so, what lodging are you planning on using and do you mind if a blind squirrel attaches to the group for the ride down on Thursday?
We are staying at the Super 8 in Hillsville wednesday night 9/19. We may be hooking up with Heidi and Jay who are tentatively planning on staying at Meadows of Dan. Plan to meet at Fancy Gap on thursday morning and then ride the BRP to Cherokee.

We've had a change in schedules and will not be able to attend EOM this year. :(

We hope you folks get some good weather, 'cause we know you've got some good people attending and great roads to ride. :thumbsup:

*BUMP*

Scott, all of us are planning to meet up & ride the BRP on Thursday morning. As it stands right this minute Bob, Mike (assumption)& Joe are staying in Hillsville on Wednesday night. I'm going to try to get off of work early on Wednesday & Jay & I are planning to stay in Meadows Of Dan on Wednesday night. You are welcome to join us if you'd like. Also, the Blind Squirrel may like to ride Squirrel Spur Rd on the way to the BRP on Thursday morning to meet the mentioned folks.

Heidi

Edited to add: uh new posting while I wrote

We've had a change in schedules and will not be able to attend EOM this year. :(

We hope you folks get some good weather, 'cause we know you've got some good people attending and great roads to ride. :thumbsup:
Fred, that so sucks!