HD Trike trailer wiring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepperell

Reaction score
Got a call from my wife's cousin yesterday. He had a Road King (world's loudest motorcycle) with a trailer. Sold the RK and bought a new Trike. After seeing my homemade hitch, he decided to fabricate his own hitch. The Road King was red, the new trike blue, so he stripped the lights out of the trailer to have it painted. He had the pigtail from the RK for color code purposes.

It turns out that the RK and trailer were both 5 wire; ground, running, left turn, right turn, stop. The trike ass end, however, is 4 wire; ground, running, left turn/stop, right turn/stop. So I traced the wires back to a 5 to 4 converter under the seat, and metered out the wires before the converter to attach the trailer lights.

Musta been $3.00 cheaper to put in a converter than 2 amber turn signal lights... :glare:

He's lucky to have you and not me... With my ability to wire chase. Ida told him "Your screwed, your gonna need to sell the trike! :glare:

Previously trikes were sent from HD to a trike company. Now HD does all the assembly. I assume they buy the trike kits from a supplier, although I suppose they could fabricate them in-house. Unlike the real old days when the suicide shift tranny had a reverse gear, now they slap a ring gear next to the large belt sprocket on the rear axle and add a starter motor.

It'd be real easy to add backup lights and a beeper, tho! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: