Removal of clutch/brake levers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Fleishman

Reaction score
I'm not a small guy, but you'd think Yamaha designed the clutch lever for the Incredible Hulk! Even with the adjustment on "5", I can only reach the clutch lever with my fingertips. I'd like to replace them both with aftermarket levers that have a dog-leg bend toward the grips. Is this a major task? My Yamaha service manual doesn't describe the R&R procedure.

Thanks for your help.

I replaced mine with the Pazzos, much better adjustments, I got mine from e-bay for $180.00 shipped

Last edited by a moderator:
First: Contact Alex at Mishacycles.com and order a set of Pazzo levers from him. He offers a Forum discount on his already good prices. You won't be sorry. When I first got mine, I thought they were just bling. The are not. They are very comfortable, and I guarantee that a lever change will be one of the first things I ever do to any new bikes. I like them that much.

There are some eBay knock-offs some have used. I think SkooterG has a set, but the anodizing is fading and the quality is not that of Pazzo.

Removing and replacing the levers is crazy easy. Just remove the locking nut from below the lever. Then remove the screw from the top and the lever comes off. They have brass bushings that will need grease, and regardless of OEM or aftermarket, you should take the levers off and re-grease them every year, minimum. Those brass bushings have a tendency to get dirt in them and wear funny.

So, get new levers and install them. It is very easy, and very worth it.

Aren't the knock off's from Ebay dirt friggin cheap? It seems to me that it'd be worth it to get them & have them re-finished when the need arises if they are that cheap. Is the functionality of the knock offs good?

$180.00 is a large price to swallow for some folk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm usually reluctant to enter a dog in one of these races, but here goes:

I have a pair of the knock-offs. Bright silver with black adjusters.

Yes, the black on the adjusters has faded, so what, it's not a big deal.

Fit and finish are otherwise excellent and the improvement in feel

and control has made it all worthwhile.

Also, the bling factor is off the chart! :rolleyes:

IIRC, they were less than 40.00, delivered.

If the fact that they're made in China bothers you then by

all means give Alex a call. He deserves your business.

Have a nice day.

Holy shit...Less than $40?? Maybe I'm the stupid one. Oh well, I did NOT pay $180, but what I did spend, I have spent more on a night out drinking beers.

Knockoffs from Bohemian Racing for $60 a set -- SO talked them down on the phone. Color is not as good as the real thing...but I'll buy another set if I get tired of these. ;)

Only thing to add on lever change out -- Be careful with the clutch lever and make sure the pushrod goes into the brass bushing.

--G

I haven't bought any, but kept the bookmark:

Ebay levers for less than $40 delivered
That's where I got mine. Very nice.

Side note: I buy a LOT of merchandise off of places like Ebay, sourced

from Asian manufacturers. Most of it is high quality both in material

and workmanship. I not talking about "Chinese knockoffs" where it's just

a cheaper version of OEM parts, but rather first quality mdse often

from the same supplier as the OEM. OEMs contract to buy "x" amount of

an item but manufacturer has capacity to make exponentially more than

OEM has contracted for, therefore with minor modification mfg can

supply the world market with a similar item for less $ ( no middle man )

Imagine if you could buy tires from someone other than your bike's mfg?

Hey, wait a minute......