Baja Bound - An Odyssey of Wonder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so jealous Tyler! The only whale I saw during my Baja trip was this one:

Baja168-1.jpg

And trust me - you didn't want to pet him!

And then, gulp, it was our turn… they came right up to the side of the boat… the calf oft times was lifted up by the mama so it could check out the funny looking humans and let us pet them… holy hell… I was fricking petting a grey whale… I cannot tell you what that felt like… amazing, awe inspiring, soul stirring, unreal… I’ll confess I shed a tear of gratitude and joy to be able to experience this first hand… I put my camera down and just lived the moment… Sally got these pics of me…

TR-pets-a-whale-L.jpg

TR-pets-a-whale2-L.jpg

This would be a wow!

Many years ago I watched my son pet Pilot Whales on the way to the San Jaun's while on a friends sail boat as they were racing the bow. A wow.

Very cool Tyler Gal, very cool. A Double wow!

Geez Tyler, how can anyone compete with "petting whales" in a ride report. ;)

When I think back of following your struggles on Caring Bridge after your accident and now your riding to the Baja.

Just amazing.

And here is the only "wildlife" Chuy saw en La Playa de Mexico:
I'm so jealous Tyler! The only whale I saw during my Baja trip was this one. And trust me - you didn't want to pet him!
You two crack me up… :lol:

This would be a wow! A Double wow!
Yeah, Kev… we were saying that a lot… wow. WOW… WOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!! ;)

Geez Tyler, how can anyone compete with "petting whales" in a ride report. ;)
I’m sure OM will try to challenge it… god knows what he’ll come up with… :drool:

When I think back of following your struggles on Caring Bridge after your accident and now your riding to the Baja.
Kinda weird… there are times like it seems like it was all a bad dream… did that really happen? But I have the scars to prove that it happened so I guess it did. :D

Amazing Adventure Tyler.

Thanks for sharing :thumbsupsmileyanim:
Thanks for following along, honey!

WOW!!!! just WOW!!! This has to be the best ride report i've EVER read...
Many thanks, BigPaz… it takes a lot of work to put this all together so it’s nice that it brings some enjoyment to folks... and maybe inspires them to stfu, make a plan, and go do those things that you always say "some day" about... make it TOday!

The next morning dawned sunny and cool. Today’s adventure was a day ride to the Bay of Concepcion for lunch. We gathered in town before heading out to view the church, San Ignacio Kadakaamán, which was founded in 1728 by the Jesuits, handed over to the Dominicans in 1773 who completed construction in 1786. In the 1800s, the community shrank and the mission fell into disuse and suffered neglect. By the mid-1970s, however, San Ignacio had revived and the mission was carefully restored.

More info here: https://www.colonial-mexico.com/West%20Mexico/kad.html

One wonders how many people have traversed these stairs to visit…

DSC7903-XL.jpg

DSC7908-XL.jpg

DSC7879-XL.jpg

DSC7883-L.jpg

DSC7885-L.jpg

Angels on the ceiling watching over us…

DSC7888-XL.jpg

Spout for water drainage (which I learned from Dorothy who is always a wealth of knowledge on these trips… she’s always got something new to show/tell me!)…

DSC7895-XL.jpg

Bench in the back garden to sit and ponder the meaning of life…

DSC7896-XL.jpg

The town square where we came across different groups of dual sport riders who were headed out for some dirty fun…

DSC7900-X2.jpg

Group shot on the side stairs of the church (photo by Scott)… right leg out everyone!!

San-Ignacio-group-shot-on-XL.jpg

And then we were off like a herd of turtles… Scott in the lead, we traversed some lovely mountain roads with beautiful views of the valleys we would be riding across (road is off to the right there)…

DSC8004-XL.jpg

DSC7987-XL.jpg

DSC7989-X2.jpg

Jim and Scott have a “moment”… I love you, man…

DSC7911-XL.jpg

Tons of pelicans flying about…

DSC7917-XL.jpg

We stopped in the town of lovely town Mulegé to see the mission there, Mision Santa Rosalia de Mulegé… Founded in 1706, the mission was completed in 1766. The mission has been restored with the help of the government and functions as a Catholic church. It originally served an Indian population of some 2000 persons. Nearby, rocky steps lead up a hill that affords a bird's-eye view over the oasis. Mulegé has become a refuge for American retirees and I can understand how this oasis would draw them there…

DSC7928-X2.jpg

DSC7918-XL.jpg

DSC7933-XL.jpg

DSC7935-XL.jpg

DSC7940-XL.jpg

Oh my, Jesus could use some upgrading or a haircut or a facial… or something!

DSC7936-XL.jpg

DSC7937-XL.jpg

Jim and Scott soaking in the sights and sunshine…

DSC7929-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Continuing on, we came around a curve in the road and saw the amazingly colored Sea of Cortez glistening in front of us…

DSC7944-X2.jpg

While Scott did this…

DSC7949-XL.jpg

Sally and I drove further out to get some shots of the bay… it was pretty cool and very windy but the blue of that water was unbelievable!

DSC7951-X2.jpg

Nice vacation spot, huh?

DSC7960-X2.jpg

The beach we visited… Clyffrd working on his tan…

DSC7947-X2.jpg

View from the restaurant…

DSC7965-XL.jpg

Cheery floral decorations adorned the tables as Dorothy got ready to make a point… I just hoped that thing wasn’t loaded…

DSC7968-XL.jpg

After lunch, and with a little gentle/supportive prodding from Scott, I decided wtf… I’m here at the Sea of Cortez and dammit, I’m gonna take a dip in that ocean… it was a bit unnerving as it was the first time I had exposed myself (so to speak) since the accident… but I knew I was amongst friends so I felt safe to do so… it was kind of odd as most of my legs have no sensation to heat/cold due to the grafts so I couldn’t feel the temperature of the water until it got up to my girl parts… then I found out it was COLD!!! LOL

Skivvy-dipping-L.jpg

We dried off as best we could and figured the ride back to San Ignacio would do the rest… Chris on his RT at the beach…

DSC7975-XL.jpg

The roads are very well marked with lots of yellow and black along the way warning of these ahead (image borrowed off the internet as I was never able to get a picture of it!) …

2_Curva_Pelgrosa.JPG

DSC7980-X2.jpg

Some views on the way back…

DSC7977-X2.jpg

Stopping in Santa Rosalía to regroup although it was more like trying to herd cats…

DSC7982-XL.jpg

Some hillside fixer uppers…

DSC7985-XL.jpg

Curt was having a good time…

DSC7998-XL.jpg

Saw some pretty flowers and stopped to take a photo… thank goodness this isn’t scratch & sniff because behind the bikes was a section of land that was a makeshift port-a-potty… without the port-a… I snapped the photo and got out of there right quick… peeYEW!!!

DSC8002-X2.jpg

On the way out, I had seen lots of purple patches along the way and made sure I took the time to stop and smell them on the way back… a few like-minded photo bugs and I traipsed off the road just a wee bit and were overwhelmed with a wash of color… you couldn’t really see it from the road but just a few steps in, there is was in all its splendor…

DSC8019-X2.jpg

DSC8016-X2.jpg

Chris in floral contemplation…

DSC8007-X2.jpg

Untimely ladybug demise in the desert… but is any demise timely??

DSC8010-XL.jpg

The road ahead…

DSC8025-X2.jpg

Another fine day came to a close… we spent the evening chattering on about our escapades, sipping fine wine or good tequila, and chowing down on another scrumptious meal provided by our hosts. Our prior weather adventures getting into Mexico was fading to a distant memory as we all basked in the amazing things we had experienced.. It was gonna be hard to leave this place so I decided not to think about that and just focus on enjoying the “now” moment… it was a brilliant evening.

Wait… what?? There’s more??? Oh yes there is…

What a Wow-Wonderful Ride Report! Saludos Senorita Tyler, two of your pics in Reply #27 didn't come up to the screen. Being the curious sort, I brought them up here:

%20DSC7933-XL.jpg

%20DSC7935-XL.jpg

Look how cute my illegitimate bastard Hijo (Son) SkooterG was in this photo, he was just out of high school when this picture was taken. Damnit, he has grown up so very fast!

Baja071.jpg

L to R: Carlos "Frenchie" Doucet, "Fast" Eddie Quarles, Greg "SkooterG" Marbach y "El Irlandes"-Sr. Chuy "El Burrito Ballerina" Medina; eating at last Restaurant on the Mulege River next to the lighthouse!

So tu pinche Gringos know where Mujere muy Bonita Tyler has been traveling: Here is a map of the Baja Peninsula:

bajamap.gif

What a Wow-Wonderful Ride Report! Saludos Senorita Tyler, two of your photos in Reply #27 did not come up to the screen shot. Being the curious sort, I brought them up here:
Thanks, Don... I corrected the post... forgot the IMG tag at the end of the link! :rolleyes:
De nada, Tyler. Since SacramentoMike, madmike2 and Bokerfork never leave El Barrio del Sacramento; I thought I'd post up a map for the geographically challenged:

Mulege-Map.gif

Since you'll no doubt speak of Santa Rosalia on your journey northward, I will keep my big fat Irish yap shut. Being Catholic you know what I am referring to!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Rosal%C3%ADa,_Baja_California_Sur

I'm so jealous Tyler! The only whale I saw during my Baja trip was this one:

Baja168-1.jpg

And trust me - you didn't want to pet him!
Actually Tyler, SkooterG and his Papa Chuy did get to "pet" some wildlife on the Baja Peninsula; at the waterfront Latitude 38 Cantina in Cabo San Lucas, HUBBA!

Baja142.jpg

The next morning we reluctantly packed up our bikes and said goodbye to our new friends. This place and time was magical and I didn’t want to let go of it… but I knew there would be more magic ahead of us so off we went for our day’s destination, Bahia de Los Angeles. There weren’t any places for lunch so we hit the market in Guerrero Negro for snacks and munchies and had an impromptu picnic at a rare turnout on the side of the road.

DSC8030-XL.jpg

DSC8036-X2.jpg

Desert blooms…

DSC8039-XL.jpg

The road ahead…

DSC8043cr-X2.jpg

Scott laying down on the job… I know there are some folks that get all riled up at these photos but you just have to know Scott... cracks me up every time…

DSC8032-XL.jpg

Curt wandered into the desert and, unbeknownst to him, came back with a little bit more than he bargained for!

DSC8046-XL.jpg

The barbs on this cactus were very deceiving… the barbs on the end are practically invisible but holy hell do they latch on!

DSC8044-XL.jpg

DSC8048-XL.jpg

A couple of folks donned gloves and duct tape and removed the pesky cacti parts from his jacket and he was good to go. There were some nice sweepers and some fast straights on the way… but we, of course, obeyed the speed limit at all times… that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

We came to a large turnout overlooking Bahia de Los Angeles… the hills behind us were gradated in coloring… kind of reminded me of Death Valley…

DSC8066-X2.jpg

Dorothy enjoying the view

DSC8055-X2.jpg

Curt thought he was a teapot…

DSC8070-XL.jpg

Our hotel for the evening was right across the street from the beach… another fabulous find by the Wades although from what I’d heard, making reservations could be a challenge)… this would be our warmest day of the trip as the temperature hit about 84 degrees…

DSC8075-XL.jpg

We were able to park our bikes in the courtyard and away from the street… first things first… frosty beverages!

DSC8073-XL.jpg

DSC8079-XL.jpg

These guys were making quite a racket on the roof… sounded like they were laughing…

DSC8086-XL.jpg

Everyone just sort of kicked back and marched to the beat of their own drummer… some napped, some read, some walked over to the beach to take tourista photos…

DSC8102-X2.jpg

One man took his life into his own hands when he thought this would be a funny joke…

DSC8107-XL.jpg

Lucky for him, he thought better of the idea and lived to tell the tale… barely…

DSC8109-XL.jpg

Some views through my lens…

DSC8100-X2.jpg

The sand was very soft and your feet would sink into it pretty deep leaving a path through the sand…

DSC8122-XL.jpg

Other sections were patterned from the tide coming in and out…

DSC8127-XL.jpg

Itty bitty crabs adorned the beach so you had to watch where you stepped so you didn’t squash them…

DSC8132-XL.jpg

Curt gave one of them a hand out…

DSC8136-XL.jpg

Between the street and the beach used to be an RV park but, due to poor economy and media scares, the hookups now sit unused and degrading…

DSC8143-X2.jpg

Pretty nice view if you had an RV parked here…

DSC8148-X2.jpg

Oh look… a happy cactus…

DSC8153-XL.jpg

As dusk fell…

DSC8156-XL.jpg

DSC8178-X2.jpg

The menfolk attended to some minor repairs and maintenance…

DSC8161-XL.jpg

And the womenfolk supervised…

DSC8155-XL.jpg

Missing windscreen bolt? No problem! Thank gawd for duct tape!!

DSC8167-XL.jpg

Even Clyffrd got a little lovin’…

DSC8172-XL.jpg

Dinnertime on the patio with our trusty steeds getting a well deserved rest…

DSC8189-X2.jpg

Folks came back to our room for a nightcap… the way this chair was set up, it made me think of getting questioned by detectives in one of those old film noire movies…

DSC8193-XL.jpg

Scott was the first one in “The Chair”… I promised I wouldn’t repeat what he confessed…

DSC8194-XL.jpg

Curt is new to sport touring… he is semi-retired and normally very quiet and only drinks iced tea… we put a stop to that shit! LOL

Curt-n-Cougars-L.jpg

And with that, our day came to a close… Sally started talking about how the vacation was almost over but I shushed her right away and said, “We’re still on vacation so let’s not rush to the end!” And so we pushed away the thought of the end of the trip and drifted off to sleep while visions of sugar plums danced in our heads… well, that and margaritas too!

Next up – to San Quintin…

Ai, Ai; beautiful Bahia de los Angeles. The Baja Peninsula is indeed a small world, the Costa del Sol is also the preferred lodging in Bay of LA for we AZ Beemers!

motoring.jpg

Since you are now North of Santa Rosalia, I can talk freely of Alexandre Gustave Eiffel's famous prefabricated churches; you know him, he built that famous tower on the River Seine in Paris, France! https://www.bajaquest.com/santarosalia/

Baja031.jpg

My Son Seth's Mom Jean and I spent our Honeymoon in French Polynesia for the month of December in 1994; we spent time on the Islands of Bora Bora, Tahiti and Moorea. On Moorea we stopped to check out the local Catholic Church, Jean is a Harley Sportster rider so we both rented Vespa scooters on each of the Islands to do our touring with.

I told Jean I had seen this church many times previously, but in Santa Rosalia of Baja California Sur, Mexico. I spoke to the French Priest of this Moorea Parish and he related to me the history of these prefabricated fully self contained "kit" churches:

Monsieur Eiffel contracted with the Vatican to build these churches for shipment world wide to spread Catholicism in the 1890's, the Pope underwrote their construction and directed to which countries they would be sent. The church in Santa Rosalia was originally intended for a French Colony in West Africa, but a local revolution upset the plans and the church was sent to Mexico for the Parishioners of "El Boleo" instead!

Latest posts