Baja Bound - An Odyssey of Wonder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG! What an amazing adventure!

We got that close to the Orca's in the San Juan Islands, but never got to pet them. Very exciting!

All the rest as well. Great RR! Thanks for posting up!

Okay. That tears it! The Baja Peninsula. I'm GOING to ride that sonofabitch! All the way to San Jose del Cabo.

Don Stanley, pack our feckin' sombreros, speedos and tequila. Call Lupé and Isabella and tell them to rest up, and be ready.

Tyler, this is a HELLUVA groovy ride report. Really enjoying it, and your pitcher takin' has gotta be the best on the forum.

Tons of really excellent shots. The desert and the Sea of Cortez are gorgeous. (I could do with a few more food shots. Especially the roadside

vendor offerings. Jus' sayin'.)

The whale experience hadda be magical.

Not to detract from it, but it brought to mind a Seinfeld episode....

George - "The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to return soup at a deli."

(Jerry gives Kramer a "what the hell" glance)

George- "I got about fifty-feet out and then suddenly the great beast appeared before me. I tell ya he was

ten stories high if he was foot. As if sensing my presence he gave out a big bellow.

I said,'Easy big fella!' And then as I watched him struggling I realized something

was obstructing his breathing. From where I was standing I could see directly into the eye of the great fish!"

Jerry - "Mammal."

George - "WhatEVER."

Thanks for taking the time to share the experience, Tyler.

Thanks for taking the time to share the experience, Tyler.
Thanks for coming along even if just vicariously! ;)

The next morning, Geoff and Curt got up very early to go fishing. Scott waited behind for them and the rest of us hit the road, knowing we’d meet up with them in El Rosario for lunch. The sun was shining down up on us…

DSC8199-XL.jpg

Fisherman on his way out to see what he could bring back…

DSC8204-X2.jpg

On the road again on another beautiful day in paradise… no cacti hitchhikers this time!

DSC8207-X2.jpg

I loved the contrast of the colors of these blooms against a backdrop of deep blue sky...

DSC8211-X2.jpg

The day before, when we had stopped for our picnic, unbeknownst to Sue, her trusty froggy sidekick had decided to have an adventure of his own jumping off somewhere along the way to Bahia de Los Angeles… she feared he was gone for good but lo and behold, Dorothy was up in front and saw something in the road… yup, it was Froggy… guess it was kinda lonely out there in the desert for a solo frog so Dorothy gave him a ride back to his owner…

DSC8218-XL.jpg

Traversing back toward Guerrero Negro… to the left is an enormous pile of rocks/boulders… wondering if they just fell from the sky…

DSC8220-X2.jpg

One of the many types of cacti, the giant saguaro… I think you can understand where the giant part of the name came from… notice Chris standing on the road… he looks really tiny in front of that thing!

DSC8224-XL.jpg

The desert is a cruel mistress… beautiful but potentially very painful!

DSC8239-X2.jpg

DSC8234-XL.jpg

Another stop in El Rosario for gas (the attendants at the station were quite entertained when four women pulled in on bikes) and one more meal at Mama Espinoza’s… oh, and Wifi finally as we were outta luck at Costa del Sol the day before… talk about technology withdrawals… lol

DSC8251-XL.jpg

Following Scott, he led us off the main road onto a dirt, rutted road and I wondered where the hell he was taking us… we pulled up in front of El Jardine in San Quintin, an absolutely beautiful hotel in its own private oasis and gardens… Scott was so happy to be there, he… well, he did what Scott does when he’s happy to be somewhere…

DSC8252-XL.jpg

DSC8253-XL.jpg

We gathered at the restaurant next door for a beverage or two… Geoff only had one beer… (I have no idea who that guy is behind them… lol)

DSC8258-XL.jpg

I ran back to the hotel to take out my contacts and came back to the reminder of why it’s NOT a good idea to ask certain friends to watch your camera while you’re gone… sigh…

DSC8260-XL.jpg

DSC8261-XL.jpg

DSC8263-XL.jpg

When I asked who the hell got a hold of my camera, they threw their friend to the wolves…

DSC8266-XL.jpg

We headed back to the hotel to relax a bit before dinner and wandered the beautiful grounds… flowers, citrus trees, cactus all blended to make a really wonderful Alice in Wonderland type garden…

DSC8255-XL.jpg

DSC8277-XL.jpg

DSC8278-XL.jpg

DSC8290-XL.jpg

There was a fabulous tree house in the back…

DSC8283-XL.jpg

Sadly we came upon the scene of some carnage… we weren’t able to find the rider so didn’t call the authorities… hope the rider made it home safe!

DSC8282-XL.jpg

Tons of these guys chirping away as the sun started to cast long shadows on the garden…

DSC8305-XL.jpg

Oh my…

DSC8301-XL.jpg

Spider webs…

DSC8303-XL.jpg

Cracked crab was on the menu for the evening for many…

DSC8315-XL.jpg

Nighty night… don’t let the bed bugs bite…

DSC8311-XL.jpg

Saturday rolled around and it was time to head back to California… as we rolled through one of the towns, Scott was in the lead position and he pulled over unexpectedly… he had run over something that didn’t just puncture his rear tire but slashed through it and the tube as well… perpetually ever prepared, he had a spare tube and we just happened to have stopped in front of a tire place in the town… so while the boys “helped”…

DSC8321-XL.jpg

The watch girls held down the bikes…

Waiting-for-a-tire-L.jpg

And Dorothy edjumacated herself…

DSC8324-XL.jpg

I took stock of my absolutely filthy bike… not sure how I’m gonna get that crap off the muffler… oh, fiddle dee dee, Rhett… I’ll think about it tomorrow…

DSC8323-XL.jpg

Two hours later, the tire was back on Scott’s bike and we were back in business… stopped in Ensenada for lunch… just find the most packed taco stand and that’s a pretty good bet the food is good… how many bikes can you cram into two parking spaces?? Oh, about 8!

DSC8326-XL.jpg

And off we went toward the border and back to California when all of a sudden, Scott (in the lead) drops speed quickly and motions for us to go around him. As I pass him, I look at his back tire and it’s done… flatter than a pancake… squished… toast… he and Curt pulled over to a small turnoff and the rest of us pulled off at a larger one about 100 yards up the road. They tried to slime it, etc. to no avail. We were about 40 miles from the border and trying to figure out how to get the bike, and Scott, there when all of a sudden, out of nowhere, a big blue pickup truck pulls into the turnout.

A young man by the name of Moises (pronounced Moses) hops out and asks if we need any help… we all just looked at him wondering where he had come from. He was on his way home from Ensenada to Mexicali and had seen Scott on the side of the road as he passed. He too is a rider and subscribes to the The Code so he turned around and came back to see if he could help. For all the media hype/scare about Mexico, the only people we came across were warm, curious, and friendly… and Moises was no exception.

His motorcycle club… he sure lived up to the name!

DSC8327-XL.jpg

Moises…

DSC8328-XL.jpg

No ramp… just a bunch of manly men to hoist the bike into the truck bed… and lots of documentation by the estrogen units… lol

DSC8335-XL.jpg

Dorothy showed off her impressive roping skills with the assorted tie downs pulled together, the bike was secured, and we were off to the border. Just before the border, Moises pulled his truck over to the side of the road and a couple of folks there scrambled and found a makeshift ramp to help get the bike out of the truck…

DSC8343-XL.jpg

We thanked Moises again and told him he had new friends to come and visit in California! Then we turned to face the music… well, the line waiting to cross the border… this was only half of it… yikes!

DSC8344-XL.jpg

We were instructed to continue down the left side past the line of cars… so Scott walked his bike down that hill and we gently edged into the waiting line of cars (although there were a few drivers not happy about it but they were sitting in air conditioned cars and we only took a minute or two to get through so I didn’t feel too bad) and Scott walked his bike over the border... I wish I could've gotten a pic of it but they kind of frown upon cameras at the border so I refrained!

Once over the border, Scott called for a tow truck and once we knew that he and Sue were set, we skedaddled for San Diego where Sally and I arrived a bit later than we anticipated but still found time/energy to get some dinner and nice, cold, tall pint of beer at a local brewery… the people watching was quite entertaining as well!

We slept hard that night and awoke to blue skies which surprised me as I thought there was supposed to be rain… we wandered out to the beach to share a few moments before having to say goodbye and close this episode of the Sally Tyler Risk show…

San-Diego-Sally-Tyler-Risk-S.jpg

I felt a little tug on my heart as I pulled away from my lovely Brit friend… another adventure tucked away in the memory books… and looking forward to what mischief we could get up to next time… I headed for Temecula to have lunch with a friend and then into LA (business)… about half an hour outside of LA, the heavens opened up on me, 101N came to a standstill, and I hadn’t put on my rain gear… I was quite the sight when I pulled into the Westin Bonnaventure… they weren’t quite sure what to make of me!

DSC8356-XL.jpg

It was quite a change of worlds from Mexico to downtown LA…

DSC8357-XL.jpg

DSC8381-XL.jpg

So I sat in my room, gazing out the window and the rainy streets below…

DSC8398-XL.jpg

And I reflected over the past week’s events… the challenges that had been overcome, the sights that had been seen, the friendship that had been shared, and the experiences of a lifetime… and it was good.

DSC8480-XL.jpg

Again, many thanks to Scott & Sue for their expertise and helping guide us on a wonderful adventure that will forever be etched in our hearts and minds… you guys rock!!

FIN

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

P.

One awesome RR Miss Risk. Some great memory's that will last a life time.

I agree. Though it seems impossible...they each get better than the one before. I enjoyed the thoughts written and thoughts seen in the photos.

Reminds me why I have a bike.

The trip, the unknown, the undiscovered, the rediscovered, the beauty.

You rock Tyler...great job. :clapping:

Okay. That tears it! The Baja Peninsula. I'm GOING to ride that sonofabitch! All the way to San Jose del Cabo.

Don Stanley, pack our feckin' sombreros, speedos and tequila. Call Lupé and Isabella and tell them to rest up, and be ready.
Hey Mick, I always keep Lupe and Isabella on standby and they are ready, willing and able to service us. But for something totally different, why don't you try out "El Gregorio", he hangs out at the swim up bar at Hotel San Jose del Cabo in Mexico all of the time. His pickup line is: "Hey Sailor, new in port?" jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Baja113.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great RR Tyler! Makes me [almost] want to take a ride into Mexico.

Thanks for sharing the scenery and adventure with us. :)

--G

...Makes me [almost] want to take a ride into Mexico.
George, George, George.

They only cut off your head if you've pinstriped your wheels. Or if you smell like pie.

So, you're prolly safe, ....right?
So Gorgeous George, you have to ask yourself a question! "Would I rather be huddled underneath a Seattle overpass in the torrential rain with ahchiu or be sunning on the beach next to Inga the Swedish Stewardess on vacation in Mulege, Baja California Sur?"

Brother Mick and Papa Chuy Viejo are riding to Dos Cabos next year for BeemerDonS's 65th Birthday. Grab "Pops" Niehart and ride along with us, it is going to be one Hell of a project keeping Senor Black away from the Tequila and Whores though, big job!!!

DSCF2207.jpg

Somewhat off topic, are you guys getting a boner when Salma Hayek starts speaking Spanish in the new Burger King commercials on TV? Gives Papa Chuy a blue veined diamond cutter when Salma appears!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzF5bGlPvPg&feature=relmfu

I have to wear oven mitts on my hands when the Sofia Vergara commercial plays! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hukyN3ltxSw&feature=relmfu

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, honey! Looking forward to seeing the pics of your adventure! B)

Damn, Tyler. That was just incredible.
George, do it. Life is too short and so sweet... ;)

Great RR Tyler! Makes me [almost] want to take a ride into Mexico.

Thanks for sharing the scenery and adventure with us. :)

--G

Latest posts