Tbs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Especially on friday!(where is that popcorn icon?....)
Probably the same place where you left the capital "F" for Friday??? :p :p :p
I had to leave some bait out there for ya howie ya dick! :p I violated my own rule too! I saw that as soon as I posted it! DOH! :huh:
To continue the dickage, that would be Howie! :p
Actually Brother Intech, Howie ya dick! should be bolded, underlined and also upsized! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

To continue the dickage, that would be Howie! :p
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dude! What's up? You've been on a roll the last few days! Gettin some from Misses Howie?
Well, hell....the righteous and reliable '04 just doesn't break. It's the damn Energizer Bunny, so I don't have anything to bitch about OR contribute to, so I skim the threads, waiting to pounce! :D

And to reply to your question......
Black-woman-in-chastity-belt-1.jpg

I'm going to try (lamely, I'm sure) to address HRZ's rant about multiple vs. single throttle bodies.

By putting throttle bodies directly on the intake port, you eliminate the need for an intake manifold and the space it would require. Having a single throttle body means moving that throttle body away from the head and filling that space with plumbing to carry the air to the intake ports (the manifold.) Preferably you want all those pipes to be the same length, and that length will be tuned to be an advantage at a specific RPM range. So to build an intake on a bike with a single throttle body, you're gonna have to move an awful lot of stuff around. The engine has to lean further forward, or the throttle has to be hung up under the seat somewhere, and you still need enough space for an airbox that will hold some kind of filter.

Didja ever notice how far forward the engine leans on the BMW K1600? Ya know why? Cause it has a single throttle body and an intake manifold. Beemerdons will never have to do a TBS on that new toy of his. Assuming, of course, he actually gets parts on hand to complete the deer strike repairs in the first place.

As for your valve adjustment question, hydraulic tappets require one of two things, neither of which might be desirable in a motorcycle engine. They require height, being thicker, taller (whatever) than a plain ol' shim bucket, or to get around the height they require rocker arms or finger followers, which add complexity. I think it's really that simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walt: Was a great explanation of the single versus multiple throttle bodies applications to internal combustion engines, Thank You! Good points on hydraulic lifters also!

Mr. wfooshee, I do have just one more question though. When you write out: "Howie, you are such a fecking dick!" Are you usually supposed to capitalize the D in dick?

I'm going to try (lamely, I'm sure) to address HRZ's rant about multiple vs. single throttle bodies.

By putting throttle bodies directly on the intake port, you eliminate the need for an intake manifold and the space it would require. Having a single throttle body means moving that throttle body away from the head and filling that space with plumbing to carry the air to the intake ports (the manifold.) Preferably you want all those pipes to be the same length, and that length will be tuned to be an advantage at a specific RPM range. So to build an intake on a bike with a single throttle body, you're gonna have to move an awful lot of stuff around. The engine has to lean further forward, or the throttle has to be hung up under the seat somewhere, and you still need enough space for an airbox that will hold some kind of filter.

Didja ever notice how far forward the engine leans on the BMW K1600? Ya know why? Cause it has a single throttle body and an intake manifold. Beemerdons will never have to do a TBS on that new toy of his. Assuming, of course, he actually gets parts on hand to complete the deer strike repairs in the first place.

As for your valve adjustment question, hydraulic tappets require one of two things, neither of which might be desirable in a motorcycle engine. They require height, being thicker, taller (whatever) than a plain ol' shim bucket, or to get around the height they require rocker arms or finger followers, which add complexity. I think it's really that simple.
Ahhh, see. I never thought about there needing to be an intake manifold. I guess I never knew bikes were missing them. So, that explains that.

The Valve thing I sort of get, but I know of bikes that don't require adjustment. I think it could be done, but maybe the cost, loss of power, loss of room is too much for most manufacturers to want to deal with. Especially when they can make money after the sale by charging for the valve checks! Haha...

Thanks Walt.

And weight, which increases the inertia of the valve and decreases speed, limiting RPM and horsepower.

When you write out: "Howie, you are such a fecking dick!" Are you usually supposed to capitalize the D in dick?
Everything from the 'f' to the '!' gets capitalized, italicized, and underlined, bolded, and upsized!

EDIT: After a few seconds' consideration, I actually feel bad about my answer. I mean, he bought breakfast when I was down there a couple weeks ago. So maybe leave off the upsized.

When you write out: "Howie, you are such a fecking dick!" Are you usually supposed to capitalize the D in dick?
Everything from the 'f' to the '!' gets capitalized, italicized, and underlined, bolded, and upsized!

EDIT: After a few seconds' consideration, I actually feel bad about my answer. I mean, he bought breakfast when I was down there a couple weeks ago. So maybe leave off the upsized.
BTW, did you post your Sebring pix???

Yeah, here.

I put it in the Images section (you know, for pictures and stuff,) and called it Sebring. Didn't mean to hide it from you . . . . :lol:

Yeah, here.

I put it in the Images section (you know, for pictures and stuff,) and called it Sebring. Didn't mean to hide it from you . . . . :lol:
Sweet....I just don't hit the "Images and Videos" sub-forum often enough. GREAT STUFF...as well as your nature post, too!

Yeah, here.

Sweet....I just don't hit the "Images and Videos" sub-forum often enough. GREAT STUFF...as well as your nature post, too!
Nice to hear that you have finally woken up from your coma, ya Manatee Fecker. I thought that you had missed wfooshee's Sebring Report because you and dcarver were on a sex tour junket of Polk and Castro Streets in the "Rainbow District" of San Francisco! YA FUDGEPACKERS!

Yeah, here.

Nice to hear that you have finally woken up from your coma, ya Manatee Fecker. I thought that you had missed wfooshee's Sebring Report because you and dcarver were on a sex tour junket of Polk and Castro Streets in the "Rainbow District" of San Francisco! YA FUDGEPACKERS!

Wow......just WOW! Cut to the bone! Feelings hurt. Self-immolation considered.

Calm down, RH. I think that's just one of those "defensive" lash-outs, where some poor sap tries to redirect the negative attention to somebody else, hoping to hide his own faults/crimes/shortcomings. After all, he seemed to know an awful lot about that part of town, didn't he? :huh:

Besides, you immolate yourself then all that cholestoral is gonna get out, and the whole state is gonna have to be closed for everyone else's health!

Yeah, here.

Hey candy ass.. I got a brand new box of matches and a quart of lighter fluid.. Need a hand?

:fuck:

Yeah, here.

Hey candy ass.. I got a brand new box of matches and a quart of lighter fluid.. Need a hand?

:fuck:

Jackass! Having a little trouble with the quote function? Do you need mi bastard step-pappy to show you how to do it?