Leguna Seca MotoGP weather

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denver_FJR

Reaction score
Heading to the MotoGP race at Leguna Seca this year! Girlfriend is on the fence about attending and if it's hot will be a no-go for her. Can anyone chime in on weather from past years? Are shaded grandstands available?

Thanks

You never know on the coast. It could be hotter than hell or so foggy you can't see the track.

Heading to the MotoGP race at Leguna Seca this year! Girlfriend is on the fence about attending and if it's hot will be a no-go for her. Can anyone chime in on weather from past years? Are shaded grandstands available?

Thanks
Typical weather is mild. Starts out foggy in the morning clearing anywhere from 8-10 in the morning giving way to sun. Afternoon coastal winds usually start kicking in around 1 or 2. Temps will start out in the 50's, and climb to the 70's, maybe low 80's but then the coastal winds will cool it off back down to the mid to high 70's for most of the afternoon. If the wind doesn't kick in the way it typically does, it can reach mid 80's.

There was one year (2008 or 2009) it was ungodly hot, but that was an anamoly for sure. Usually it is like I described above.

There are no shaded grandstands........unless you purchase one of the premeir hospitality ticket packages, which are in covered (tented) areas. With that said, there are a few places you can find around the track in the shade (under trees and such) but those get grabbed up quickly on Sunday morning.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Typical weather is mild. Starts out foggy in the morning clearing anywhere from 8-10 in the morning giving way to sun. Afternoon coastal winds usually start kicking in around 1 or 2. Temps will start out in the 50's, and climb to the 70's, maybe low 80's but then the coastal winds will cool it off back down to the mid to high 70's for most of the afternoon. If the wind doesn't kick in the way it typically does, it can reach mid 80's.

There was one year (2008 or 2009) it was ungodly hot, but that was an anamoly for sure. Usually it is like I described above.

There are no shaded grandstands........unless you purchase one of the premeir hospitality ticket packages, which are in covered (tented) areas. With that said, there are a few places you can find around the track in the shade (under trees and such) but those get grabbed up quickly on Sunday morning.

Hope that helps.
what he said, except some years it has been so hot that the track made the vendors give away free water. That year it was in the high 90's. Bring lot's of water, something you can use for shade and sun screen. If you get to the track in the morning and the fog layer is gone before 10 AM it is going to be very hot.

Thanks

Hope that helps.
what he said, except some years it has been so hot that the track made the vendors give away free water. That year it was in the high 90's. Bring lot's of water, something you can use for shade and sun screen. If you get to the track in the morning and the fog layer is gone before 10 AM it is going to be very hot.
The event AuburnFJR references is the same one I mention, which is the only time I can ever remember it getting so hot they gave away water (I've been going to LS since the early 80's). I wouldn't agree that if the fog clears before 10 it will be getting "very hot". Like I mentioned, it can clear before 10 and get to the high 70's or low 80's by Noon or 1 but when the sea breeze kicks in, it cools things back down to a very pleasant temperature. And of course what he says about water and sunscreen is good advice for any outdoor event in the summer. Its a great event and hopefully you'll be able to talk the Girlfriend into going.

The event AuburnFJR references is the same one I mention, which is the only time I can ever remember it getting so hot they gave away water (I've been going to LS since the early 80's). I wouldn't agree that if the fog clears before 10 it will be getting "very hot". Like I mentioned, it can clear before 10 and get to the high 70's or low 80's by Noon or 1 but when the sea breeze kicks in, it cools things back down to a very pleasant temperature. And of course what he says about water and sunscreen is good advice for any outdoor event in the summer. Its a great event and hopefully you'll be able to talk the Girlfriend into going.
+1 on all of that. It's usually very comfortable and, besides Laguna Seca being a great track, Monterey and environs is an terrific destination. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is not to be missed. Lodging can be hard to find and pricey - the last time I went we stayed in Salinas.

Talk her into it - she won't be sorry.

Pete

Shaded areas are available. General Admission shade is available in the Corkscrew area (trees provide shade). If you are willing to pay the turn 2 and turn 4 suites are covered and the Flagroom (near turn 5) has shade. For the ultimate in comfort get yourself in a pit row suite. Really not bad price wise considering all you get and your GF will surely be happy with the best seats available. See you there!

If able, camping on site is not too bad. I have friends who rv it and go every year and haul their bikes in, then you have some home comforts available whatever the temps are. But if you ride in you can park at the track and also CMA has free helmet and gear checks throughout the race area so you don't have to carry "any" gear around. Like Telluride said seating/pit pass is best way especially if girl friend is a bit fussy. Otherwise you're sitting on the ground unless you bring in chairs. Have fun whatever you decide. PM. <><

Latest posts