Aftermarket extra lights - What are my options? What brand?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rider_FJR

Reaction score
I'm looking to invest into extra lights, I dont want to replace the current stock bulbs, I just want to add one some additional light. What are my options? What brands should I look at?

I have couple of questions:

1 - I like the Hyper-Lite kit (Non-Flashing Brake Lights - Brake Light Only - S16 KIT). Would you know which wire I need to cut on 2007 FJR?

2- In regards to front lights, I'm looking to see better.

I read these steps: https://www.hyperlites.com/instal/INSTALL%20Both%20HL%20DF%20UNIVERSAL%20all%20HL%20and%20DF%20S16%20twist%20tap.pdf

But, how close are they to FJR setup/wires?

Whelen LIN3 and Hyperlites are what I'm using on the rear to wake up cagers.

Front depends on your purpose, to see better or to be seen better.

I use these on the front to be more conspicuous. https://clearwaterlights.com/infopg_glenda.html

But these are my choices try (lights site:fjrforum.com) from google search to get an eye full.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glendas and Krystas are probably the best choice. Check out "group buy" thread. A few are interested in buying soon. There is a link on that thread with what both light does. Explained in details by the owner Glen. Kudos not to me for posting that great link on "group buy"

Explained in details by the owner Glen. Kudos not to me for posting that great link on "group buy"
Glen @ Clearwater Lights is a really great guy with a really great line of products. Make some time to go visit him and/or his shop and see what they've got. Don't think you'll be disappointed. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hyperlites...both flashing red brake lights (definitely get flashing red)

plus amber extra turn signals plus hyperwhites front and rear as funeral procession strobes

and emergency flashers (the front fork lights in this set are my old inferior halogen motolites)

Clearwater leds...Krista's on mirror mounts top and Glenda's on forks (fender bolts)

also check forum member Alex's www.realtimeindustries.com & also www.advmonster.com

Just got a new set of Krista's today and "Holy Quality" first impressions!!! Had some reservations about price but pretty impressive and their not even on the bike yet. Looks like great install instructions to boot!

Was going to wait for MN tech day to install but can't wait that long.

Clearwater lights are the shit, but if your budget doesn't allow it, the ADVmontor lights are pretty good.

JamiePittsburgh476Kristacrop.jpg

I'm looking to invest into extra lights, I dont want to replace the current stock bulbs, I just want to add one some additional light. What are my options? What brands should I look at?

These may be available again. Not for me, and waiting for another member to respond to a first refusal. Lots of bang for the buck. PM if interested.

Linky

Just installed Clearwater Kristas and love them. Instant on, and LOTS of light when needed. I run them at about 15-20% on low beam to make me more visible and when I need them on full, well, here's a video comparing stock light only and as augmented with the Kristas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kr8hQo-_Hw&list=UUNtVYryoGt98DA_6GC4I9rg&index=1&feature=plcp

And if you're wondering about the install, the Kristas are pretty easy. I documented my install here.

Forum pointer - I recently installed advmonster model 60s. I'd recommend them, but obviously another year or more of beating on them will be more useful.

TL;DR: They're pretty noisy electrically, as I would expect most of the lights in the same form factor to be, fit on the FJR quite nicely, add a 1000uF capacitor if you're running them to an aux fusebox.

https://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19574444&postcount=2727

I've talked about them a lot here, so I won't repeat myself, but

is a link to a little vid I made of my Clearwater Kristas that gives you a sense of their brightness, coming at you and from the rear. They're connected to the horn too, so when I hit that, they come up to full brightness--a very cool feature. Absolutely top quality build, low electrical draw, etc. etc. blah blah blah. Like I said, I've said it all before. You won't be replacing expensive HID bulbs, either. If he runs a group buy this fall or winter, all the more reason. (BTW, I have both the big Kristas and the smaller Glendas mounted, if you can tell in that nighttime video. I've put amber lenses in the Glendas since then; they jump out even more. Good product and customer support is aces.

Two seasons of competitive rally riding on one set of ADV Monsters and one season on a second set. For the money I've had great luck so far and think they provide more and better net light than my former set of Hella FF200 HID lights. I don't plan to return to HID.