Hand Guard Protection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleTy

LOVE 2 RIDE & RIDE 2 LOVE
Reaction score
I have a 2008 and wanted to get some better protection on my hands from the cold.

I am looking for something that may also protect my hands and handlebars from getting too wet in the rain.

What have you used and recommend, thanks for the reply.

I love my V-Strom hand guards. Lots of posts on how to install on this forum. Do a Google search "vstrom handguards site:fjrforum.com" and you will find all the info you need.

the only downside i've found with the SV hand guards is the air comes from underneath still. I am currently trying to fit some extenders to the bottom of the guards for more coverage. Was trying to use a plexi type material, but isn't working out. May just use some genuine naugahyde and pull it tight. But the SV guards look decent and do provide much better than no coverage.

The space inside a V Strom handguard is less than I thought it would be. They're new-ish to me so maybe I still need to get used to them.

I like the look, fit and price of the VStrom guards but I saw Bark Busters on a bike the other day and wondered if they might have been a better choice. They seem to have a lot more room for gloved hands inside them and that aluminum "backbone" seemed like a good idea - not that the VS guard is flimsy at all but ...

My VS guards just touch my Rifle (+4 +3) on full lock so perhaps the BB would be too big.

Barkbuster site

Twisted throttle site

I have the bar covers like Hippo Hands and love them keep the rain and wind off my hands and I can wear thinner gloves and with the heated grips they keep really warm. Alt Rider on Aurora Ave. has the Quad Runners covers for $25.00 out the door. you need to alter them a little to have them fit over the brake and clutch res. If you like I can pickup a set for you and get them to you at the tech meet next Saturday. let me know

I had BarkBusters on my V-Strom and loved them, so I decided to do the same with my Gen 1.

These are BB Storms and only attach at the bar-end - so Throttlemeister is out.

These + heated grips = toasty :D

003-3.jpg

005.jpg

Al

Handguards with some sort of handlebar mitt is what you're looking for. The guards will keep the mitts off the levers when you're at speed.

An alternative to VStrom guards are These from Cycra that the PO of my '09 installed. Easy on / off and fit inside my cheapo Quad Boss hand mitts.

If money were no object, the handlebar mitts from WaterShed are the berries, but at $250 a pair too spendy for the amount of use they'll see.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got VStrom handguards on mine and they've worked great. The mounting is a bit flimsy, especially the right side, but I figure some washers will solve that. I think I paid $40 or $50 for the set new and so if they break it's not a big deal to get another set.

My VStrom and for sure my wife's VStrom are probably going to get Barkbusters sometime this summer, so I'll have a couple of spare sets!

Ian

the only downside i've found with the SV hand guards is the air comes from underneath still. I am currently trying to fit some extenders to the bottom of the guards for more coverage. Was trying to use a plexi type material, but isn't working out. May just use some genuine naugahyde and pull it tight. But the SV guards look decent and do provide much better than no coverage.
I assume you're referring to the V-Strom guards...not something from the SV (another bike made by suzuki)

This may solve that downside: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=19145&st=0&p=326160entry326160

- already been covered: handguard Extenders

I had BarkBusters on my V-Strom and loved them, so I decided to do the same with my Gen 1.

003-3.jpg

005.jpg

Al
Hi, any chance I could ask you for a couple pics of how and where these are mounted to the inner portion of the bar? Thanks.

003-3.jpg

005.jpg

Al
Hi, any chance I could ask you for a couple pics of how and where these are mounted to the inner portion of the bar? Thanks.
Read the emboldened part in his reply. Doesn't attach inboard...bar-end attachment only.

003-3.jpg

005.jpg

Al
Read the emboldened part in his reply. Doesn't attach inboard...bar-end attachment only.
I did, so I guess they just hang out there unsupported then. Thanks.

I assume you're referring to the V-Strom guards...not something from the SV (another bike made by suzuki)

This may solve that downside: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=19145&st=0&p=326160entry326160
VS, SV, similar yet different. Thanks for the link, didn't know I wasn't the only one with wind conscious fingers. Thanks!