Auxiliary Driving Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve'o'

Reaction score
I am planning to add a set of auxiliary driving lights, and I was wondering what would be the best spot to hi-jack some power from or what the best method is for setting up this type of system? I am looking at adding a new switch to the left side of the console right beside the hazard switch. Has anyone ever, or can it be used as such, disconnected the hazard switch flasher and used the hazard switch as the switch for the driving lights?

You could...but you'd lose your hazard lights. You sure you won't ever have an emergency of some sort that you'd like to have blinking lights to warn traffic? You're sure you'll NEVER have a flat tire on a freeway and never be at risk of getting run over?

I'd look to FJRTech.com, do it right, and wire a second switch with a relay...and as often talked about on the forum. Possible exception would be a low wattage set of recent LEDs possibly wired into an existing circuit....but I've been around this place long enough to see doing it right with relays is usually the better way.

Power for lights can come directly from the battery through an inline fuse, or from an auxiliary fuse buss. As a general rule, do not use existing wiring to power additional accessories. The left panel has room to add a rocker switch. I have a switch and dimmer at that location for the Clearwater Kristas. There are many instructions for setting up a relay, but the basics would be this:

12 V power from battery through inline fuse to Relay terminal 30.

Relay terminal 87 to load (lights)

Trigger wire to trip relay (probably from existing lights) to relay terminal 86

Relay terminal 85 to rocker switch on panel,

Attach the free pole on the switch to ground. When you turn on the switch it will close the relay and power the lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, thanks for the info guys. I don't plan to use the hazard switch, I was just curious if anyone has ever tried it. I will definately go with the relay route.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the winshield wire for power to the relay. I tied it into the small connection that some people jump to keep the windshield from retracting.

Canadian FJR

Power for my Hella Micro DE Xenons comes straight from the battery, where all good accessory power comes from. The relay, which is included with that unit's harness is triggered by the bike's headlight on circuit, taken from the connector that goes to the bike's heated grip controller that comes on with the headlight.

I put a miniature toggle switch on the rear face of the left side control switch cluster housing to enable the lights.