Helmet lock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
I have a Nolan 104 helmet with a ratchet strap. Any way to lock helmet to bike besides saddle bags?

I have a Nolan 104 helmet with a ratchet strap. Any way to lock helmet to bike besides saddle bags?
With a full face or modular helmet, I place it on top of either right of left side mirror.

I use a cable style padlock, like the ones used as gun locks.

I feed the open end of the cable over the chin-bar and through the vertical slot in the mirror arm and lock it.

You can also put the helmet on the passenger seat and run the cable through the bar under the tail rack and through the chin bar and lock it.

It works for me.

With a full face or modular helmet, I place it on top of either right of left side mirror.

I use a cable style padlock, like the ones used as gun locks.

I feed the open end of the cable over the chin-bar and through the vertical slot in the mirror arm and lock it.

You can also put the helmet on the passenger seat and run the cable through the bar under the tail rack and through the chin bar and lock it.

It works for me.
Gunny! much more secure than locking the d ring to something.

Nolan sells a helmet lock extension that allows their helmet to secure to the locks normally used for D-ring equipped helmets. You slide this extension through the Nolan strap lock and then you can use any standard D-ring lock that you want on the bike. I have the PCA topbox rack with the added helmet lock kit

nolan_tbar.jpg

Nolan sells a helmet lock extension that allows their helmet to secure to the locks normally used for D-ring equipped helmets. You slide this extension through the Nolan strap lock and then you can use any standard D-ring lock that you want on the bike. I have the PCA topbox rack with the added helmet lock kit

nolan_tbar.jpg
Exactly. I have the Nolan N102 and have three of these (not a Nolan item though) They work easily and perfectly. That's the easy part. Without a helmet lock from the factory though you have to get creative and find what works best for you. I have been searching the past few days myself for the most user friendly (for me ) option. However, if you go with the steel cable option then you can simply loop through the chin bar. I actually I am going to put my current efforts into a top box which I prefer for day to day commuter convenience. I'll probably almost always have one side case empty after that and the helmet easily fits in there so that would be my #1 and simplest choice over all.

Exactly. I have the Nolan N102 and have three of these (not a Nolan item though) They work easily and perfectly. That's the easy part. Without a helmet lock from the factory though you have to get creative and find what works best for you. I have been searching the past few days myself for the most user friendly (for me ) option. However, if you go with the steel cable option then you can simply loop through the chin bar. I actually I am going to put my current efforts into a top box which I prefer for day to day commuter convenience. I'll probably almost always have one side case empty after that and the helmet easily fits in there so that would be my #1 and simplest choice over all.
That's exactly what I do. An empty side bag is the best choice of all! :)

I just installed a pair of HelmetSecure helmet locks to the steel Givi grab rail that supports my top box. Haven't used them yet, but they have a coiled steel cable that you run through the chin bar of your full-face helmet and lock back into the unit. Where I have them mounted, the helmets will sit/hang over the side cases.

Unles you have a Shoei Quest large - doesn't fit so well... ;)

Wife is going to end up using a PYTHON cable to lock her bike up, and you can just thread the cable through the chin bar/visor part of the helmet. Double duty, twenty bucks, should work fine.

Alexi

Unles you have a Shoei Quest large - doesn't fit so well... ;)
Wow! I didn't know that. My Large Multitec fits in there just fine. NO Quest for Me! NeoTech will be my next helmet. :rolleyes:

These retractable cable locks are pretty handy. If I leave my Roadcrafter at the bike, I run the cable through the sleeve, through the chin bar of my helmet and around the Givi Top Case mount bar. Slows down the honest ones.

Cable Lock

These retractable cable locks are pretty handy. If I leave my Roadcrafter at the bike, I run the cable through the sleeve, through the chin bar of my helmet and around the Givi Top Case mount bar. Slows down the honest ones.

Cable Lock
Thanks for that. That's an easy option, simple to have with you all the time, works with clothing, etc. etc.
Just bought one here:

eBay Cable Lock

If I hate it there's not much invested and I can use it for something else.

Cable Lock
I'm a lot more interested in slowing down the dishonest ones. The honest ones prolly won't steal your shit.

I like Hot Rod Zilla's approach. He's got a big old plastic-coated cable and a padlock wrapped around his tail rack a couple times. Dunno if he ties his helmet off with it, but it does a heck of a job blocking his license plate from those damn speed and red light cameras. ;)