#1 Pat C

Pat C

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS AE (Gen II) N. America

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

I have a Nolan 104 helmet with a ratchet strap. Any way to lock helmet to bike besides saddle bags?
Pat C.

#2 Fly Bye

Fly Bye

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

I have a Nolan 104 helmet with a ratchet strap. Any way to lock helmet to bike besides saddle bags?

With a full face or modular helmet, I place it on top of either right of left side mirror.
I use a cable style padlock, like the ones used as gun locks.
I feed the open end of the cable over the chin-bar and through the vertical slot in the mirror arm and lock it.

You can also put the helmet on the passenger seat and run the cable through the bar under the tail rack and through the chin bar and lock it.

It works for me.

#3 TheZsdad

TheZsdad

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Bike: 2009 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

With a full face or modular helmet, I place it on top of either right of left side mirror.
I use a cable style padlock, like the ones used as gun locks.
I feed the open end of the cable over the chin-bar and through the vertical slot in the mirror arm and lock it.

You can also put the helmet on the passenger seat and run the cable through the bar under the tail rack and through the chin bar and lock it.

It works for me.

Gunny! much more secure than locking the d ring to something.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 FB1

FB1

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

Nolan sells a helmet lock extension that allows their helmet to secure to the locks normally used for D-ring equipped helmets. You slide this extension through the Nolan strap lock and then you can use any standard D-ring lock that you want on the bike. I have the PCA topbox rack with the added helmet lock kit

Posted Image
2005 Kawasaki Z750S
2008 Yamaha FJR1300
1998 Honda Magna V4 VF750
2000 Suzuki Savage LS650

#5 nervous

nervous

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

Nolan sells a helmet lock extension that allows their helmet to secure to the locks normally used for D-ring equipped helmets. You slide this extension through the Nolan strap lock and then you can use any standard D-ring lock that you want on the bike. I have the PCA topbox rack with the added helmet lock kit

Posted Image

Exactly. I have the Nolan N102 and have three of these (not a Nolan item though) They work easily and perfectly. That's the easy part. Without a helmet lock from the factory though you have to get creative and find what works best for you. I have been searching the past few days myself for the most user friendly (for me ) option. However, if you go with the steel cable option then you can simply loop through the chin bar. I actually I am going to put my current efforts into a top box which I prefer for day to day commuter convenience. I'll probably almost always have one side case empty after that and the helmet easily fits in there so that would be my #1 and simplest choice over all.

#6 majicmaker

majicmaker

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

Exactly. I have the Nolan N102 and have three of these (not a Nolan item though) They work easily and perfectly. That's the easy part. Without a helmet lock from the factory though you have to get creative and find what works best for you. I have been searching the past few days myself for the most user friendly (for me ) option. However, if you go with the steel cable option then you can simply loop through the chin bar. I actually I am going to put my current efforts into a top box which I prefer for day to day commuter convenience. I'll probably almost always have one side case empty after that and the helmet easily fits in there so that would be my #1 and simplest choice over all.

That's exactly what I do. An empty side bag is the best choice of all! :)
If you're not the lead dog. The view never changes and it always smells like crap!

#7 wnyfjr

wnyfjr

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:03 AM

I just installed a pair of HelmetSecure helmet locks to the steel Givi grab rail that supports my top box. Haven't used them yet, but they have a coiled steel cable that you run through the chin bar of your full-face helmet and lock back into the unit. Where I have them mounted, the helmets will sit/hang over the side cases.

“...and Heaven have mercy on us all - Presbyterians and Pagans alike - for we are all somehow dreadfully cracked about the head, and sadly need mending.”
― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

#8 Patriot

Patriot

Isabella is Lazarus

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,151 posts
  • Bike: 2004 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

from a long time forum member:

http://www.fjrforum....pic=2399&st=120
Mike in Nawlins' ..... 2004.5 FJR 1300 Silver Bullet "Isabella" in Nawlins' ..... Darksider #53
IBA# 42430 . my pics - FLICKR CLICKY HERE and New Orleans Ride Captain; Patriot Guard Riders; www.patriotguard.org
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 lnewlf

lnewlf

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

Unles you have a Shoei Quest large - doesn't fit so well... ;)

#10 Alexi

Alexi

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

Wife is going to end up using a PYTHON cable to lock her bike up, and you can just thread the cable through the chin bar/visor part of the helmet. Double duty, twenty bucks, should work fine.

Alexi

#11 majicmaker

majicmaker

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

Unles you have a Shoei Quest large - doesn't fit so well... ;)

Wow! I didn't know that. My Large Multitec fits in there just fine. NO Quest for Me! NeoTech will be my next helmet. :rolleyes:
If you're not the lead dog. The view never changes and it always smells like crap!

#12 CAJW

CAJW

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

These retractable cable locks are pretty handy. If I leave my Roadcrafter at the bike, I run the cable through the sleeve, through the chin bar of my helmet and around the Givi Top Case mount bar. Slows down the honest ones.
Cable Lock

05' Gen I, 02' DRZ400SM,04' Beta
IBR #30248
I love Deer. (Dead, preferably barbequed or jerkyfied)
VisitedStatesMap.jpg

#13 nervous

nervous

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

These retractable cable locks are pretty handy. If I leave my Roadcrafter at the bike, I run the cable through the sleeve, through the chin bar of my helmet and around the Givi Top Case mount bar. Slows down the honest ones.
Cable Lock

Thanks for that. That's an easy option, simple to have with you all the time, works with clothing, etc. etc.

Just bought one here:

eBay Cable Lock

If I hate it there's not much invested and I can use it for something else.

#14 fastpappy

fastpappy

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Bike: 2009 ABS AE (Gen II) N. America

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

I installed a helmet guardian. Bolts to the license plate bracket. :blink:
Pappy-09AE

#15 networkguy

networkguy

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Bike: 2013A (Gen III) N. America

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

I went with the Premier Cycle Sport Touring Rack and their mounted helmet lock. I also got the passenger backrest for the touring rack. Its very classy looking.

Four wheels move the body...two wheels move the soul
~Author unknown

There are 10 types of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who dont.

#16 Jeff F

Jeff F

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Bike: 2010 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

from a long time forum member:

http://www.fjrforum....pic=2399&st=120

Yup, this what I use. Looks factory!

#17 SacramentoMike

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

Cable Lock

I'm a lot more interested in slowing down the dishonest ones. The honest ones prolly won't steal your shit.

I like Hot Rod Zilla's approach. He's got a big old plastic-coated cable and a padlock wrapped around his tail rack a couple times. Dunno if he ties his helmet off with it, but it does a heck of a job blocking his license plate from those damn speed and red light cameras. ;)
"These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." Groucho Marx
"Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff." Jack Handy
"Watch out for that tree!" George of the Jungle
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image