replace heated hand grip 2006 AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antirustbug

Reaction score
OK, so that is it in a nutshell. Has anyone with and AE been down this road? I haven't priced the parts with a dealer yet. I was also wondering if it would be possible, or at lest not to complicated to use aftermarket grips like oxford with the stock controller. Thanks for any feedback. I guess I have the summer to work it out. :)

I installed the heated grips on my A model. It was not that hard. The right one is more complicated since the wire goes into the throttle housing. The price for a single grip is about $200 from Yamaha. That is crazy. I am not sure if you can use the stock controller for aftermarket grips. You could remove the Yamaha grips and controller and install aftermarket with a heat troller. You might find a grip off of a junked bike too.

That's the standard failure mode for the OEM grips - soldering it back togeher isn't going to work for long (BTDT) and the replacement grip is stupid expensive. I simply disconnected one of the grips to avoid an issue should the wires happen to touch and have been on the lookout for a replacement one for two years now - I have an active request in the 'wanted' forum here and have posted on my Facebook group and more without success.

I almost scored a set out of the UK, but the vendor backed out at the last minute.

In my case the solution is to either go without or go aftermarket since there is no way I'm going to pay that much for so little. So far I've been content to do without.

Well I have decided the hell with OEM heated grips, not for $230. On my wifes bike "Gfx650f" I had installed a set of Oxfords heated grips, not only do they get hotter but are more reliably on account of the weak right side wiring. So for me its function over form, and for only $80.00 for the kit at twisted throttle.com

I will just remove the factory wireing / heat trolley and put something else in its place, will see how it turns out.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5220/815/

Do some searching. There's at least one person I know who wired up aftermarket heated grips to the factory controller, but it required some careful wiring. Something about presenting the correct ohm load or some such. I suck with electrical stuff and even worse talking about it. But I do recall reading up on this a few weeks ago and can state that there's a good writeup out there somewhere.

Oh lookie, I was smart enough to save that one in the FJR folder in my favorites.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=116802

If the harness (wire) keeps breaking on the right grip, that's surely a fixable problem. Use a bit more wire and plenty of electrical tape (assuming the harness broke) or good stiff piano wire and silver solder (if the heating element broke). I've yet to have a broken wire that can't be fixed on a motorcycle. Beats going without for 2 years and paying extortionist prices for OEM.

Thank you all for your opinions and links for more info, So I ordered a set of Grips Model 737 and SYMTEC MOTORCYCLE GRIP HEATERS from

www.casporttouring.com I will post pics, in about a week or two when I get them installed. Thanks aging :)

I'm such a bad speller. again.

Last edited by a moderator: