Hot positive battery cable

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newc4

Reaction score
Hot positive battery cable.

I’m a relatively new guy coming on over from the XS11 site. I’ve had my 06FJR for about a year and referenced this site when I first got it. I had to have all the warranty items done plus from Road Runner I purchased and installed the grounding harnesses.

The bike has a hot positive battery cable, hot even at the post and I’m not sure what’s going on.

Went to start the bike this morning. Tuned the key. When I pressed the starter button I heard a spark from around the D panel and it went dead. I was ready to trailer it to the Yamaha shop but decided I’d check the fuses. As I removed the panel cover the tach needle jumped. Turned the key, hit the starter and she started right up. I was checking the battery cables and darn near burned my finger on the positive batt post. The cable was hot too. Turned it off, let things cool down, jiggled the batt cable and hit the starter. Started right up and the cable remained cool. Did it again and the post got hot. Never blew a fuse.

I’ll get into it Sunday, but what would cause this to happen?

Darrell

06FJR

78XS11E

80XS11G project

I suspect you positive battery cable is loose on the post or the post is broken. That is why it started after you moved the wire checking things.

Disconnect the battery, negative first, and clean the connections. Connect negative last when reconnecting.

It may actually be broken inside the battery, though, which would mean a new battery.

There is a rubber cover on the cable end, make sure part of it didn't get pinched between the terminal end and battery post. It's easy to do when hooking up battery, don't ask how I know. :huh:

Sounds like a loose connection to me.

But to heck with that - I want to see some photos of your XS11!!!

Had an excess 11...it was a beast and handled the twisties like a drunkem hippo. Wish I still had the old girl. The Feej is faster and more agile tho..

Sounds like a loose connection to me.

But to heck with that - I want to see some photos of your XS11!!!

se0hlh.jpg

I used to own this one...very nice/fast bike for the time...

This is my son on my 78E last year. It's a real oil burner, it needs a ring job.

Collinon78E.jpg

and on Mmy 79SF I no longer have

Collinon79SF.jpg

Darrell

XS11

There is a 1980 model in decent condition at my wife's work, was thinking about buying it after I test rode it. Previous owner took good care of it. Just don't have the money to polish it up and restore. Read the history on it and it was a straight line king for a while with a comfortable all day sitting position.